Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411479 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58425 Members - Latest Member: solpreston

April 23, 2024, 08:45:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGNarcoleptic Soccer Rush! *Completed*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Narcoleptic Soccer Rush! *Completed*  (Read 48945 times)
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 12:57:18 AM »

edit: I didn't really have to quote you, did I?

Well right now everything is pretty much random. We haven't really tweaked it to our satisfaction but we would like it to be a soccer game with people falling asleep unexpectedly making for some rather frustrating moments (passing in front of the goal for a one timer but the receiver passes out).

So basically right now our goal is for you to play soccer and go "oh fuck, they all have narcolepsy".

edit: oh yeah, there will also be punching... can't NOT add punching
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:00:08 AM by Gazillion » Logged

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 02:15:50 AM »

if theres punching does that mean there will be blood? and will the goalie also be a sufferer of narcolepsy?

yours truely
le gormane

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 03:53:03 AM »

i want to play, which means you must finish it  Kiss

Zaphos
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 04:38:05 AM »

edit: I didn't really have to quote you, did I?

Well right now everything is pretty much random. We haven't really tweaked it to our satisfaction but we would like it to be a soccer game with people falling asleep unexpectedly making for some rather frustrating moments (passing in front of the goal for a one timer but the receiver passes out).

So basically right now our goal is for you to play soccer and go "oh fuck, they all have narcolepsy".
I think narcolepsy triggers especially when people are excited, so it shouldn't just be random.  This could work help with creating frustrating moments, and also lead to more synchronized sleeping Smiley

Also possibly helpful to note that cataplexy often affects people who have narcolepsy.  If you need more gameplay elements.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:45:55 AM by Zaphos » Logged
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »

I had thought of an invisible excitement gauge that would fill up according to how rowdy the crowd is, how often someone is punched, if the ball is heading in his direction or if he's about to kick the ball towards the net but fine tuning it seemed a little complicated so we went with randomness. If we manage to finish with time to spare we'll probably revisit it.

edit to add: I think it would also be important to note that during a soccer match I'm sure all players on the field are extremely agitated which would probably help trigger narcolepsy in which case our current algo works out.

Thanks for the heads up on cataplexy, checking it out on wiki Smiley

if theres punching does that mean there will be blood? and will the goalie also be a sufferer of narcolepsy?

We're not sure about the goalies yet. Right now they will but if we see that it takes too much away from the 'soccer' we might take it out. There is no blood planned  Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 10:22:49 AM by Gazillion » Logged

TGOC
Level 0

Argargargarg

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 10:49:39 AM »

You should have it so that if your current player selected and the other people are moving around or punching too much, their "narcoleptic gauge" goes up, and when it reaches to max they fall asleep. This looks like it will be a reall good game though. Keep it up.  Smiley
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »

Now only if the audience gets into a narcoleptic soccer riot!

medieval
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 11:46:53 AM »

I really couldn't stop laughing when I saw the little dudes falling :D
Zaphos
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 12:23:26 PM »

edit to add: I think it would also be important to note that during a soccer match I'm sure all players on the field are extremely agitated which would probably help trigger narcolepsy in which case our current algo works out.
Good point.  I do think it'd create fun moments though, if players tended to fall asleep at the same time.  For example, right as one team has a shot on goal, if one key player falls asleep it just feels unfair (perhaps), but if there were a massive wave of sleep, so the guy taking the shot and the goalie and several other players all fell asleep at once, then it feels more fair and is perhaps more fun.  You could still do this with pure randomness ... basically this would correspond to the hidden excitement gauge being a random variable.

Anyway, will there be a ref?  Will he be narcoleptic, too?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 05:09:28 PM »

I think the game should start normally and the more time passes and the more the players tend to fall asleep, but maybe the duration of sleep should decrease proportionally when the tendency to fal l asleep increase, in order to have the end of games more frantic and unpredictable.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 06:52:44 PM »

I'd want the Narcolepsy to be completely random. I think that would make it far more exciting and frustrating. And the goalies must suffer from narcolepsy, and the ref and the crowd too. In fact, I love the hilarious potential of the idea so much I think all video game characters should fall asleep randomly.

Rolf_Soldaat
Level 0

Fast as lightning.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 01:28:09 PM »

How about narcoleptic streakers.
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »

When the ref narcoleaps into snoozeland, any fouls during this time should go unnoticed! Would spice up the gameplay a bit  :D

Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »

Some of those features sound hilarious but we're going to wait until we have a playable soccer game before we start adding more stuff to it. We had discussed refs but for now just soccer... with narcolepsy... and punching.

Small update though:
-Not sure if I mentioned in the other post but you can now punch a player to get possession of the ball or wake them up.
-Basic AI that makes all players run like savages at the ball (honestly they keep cornering me, thank god they can't punch yet).
-New dream graphic when they sleep.

(Picture is pretty big. It doesn't break the layout for me but if it does for you let me know and I'll link it instead)

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »

yes! what a great idea, looks like its coming along well. this is certainly full of....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 02:53:34 PM »

I can't wait to play this. It's certainly one of the more interesting games in development.
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »

So, Unfortunate Narcoleptic #1 is dreaming of love? Cos, if he is, good for him.

Zedix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »

How about narcoleptic streakers.

Done! We just finished the character set for the streaker last night. And yes, he can fall asleep!
Dormouse
Level 0

Let's roll around in candies, shall we?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 04:02:48 PM »

Seems like the game will be truly awesome. But the phrase "narcoleptic soccer rush" kinda sounds like the time they made us play soccer during P.E. classes at high-school.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »

Done! We just finished the character set for the streaker last night. And yes, he can fall asleep!
You, sir, are a hero.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic