Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:21:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGNarcoleptic Soccer Rush! *Completed*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Narcoleptic Soccer Rush! *Completed*  (Read 48940 times)
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »

Hmmm I think your video card is the problem. From what I recall XNA requires shader 1.1 support and from what I can conclude (from various google hits) your card doesn't support it.

Has anyone come across this problem?

((  Sad I'm sad you can't run the game, especially since we don't use any intensive special effects ))

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2008, 10:43:42 AM »

Hmmm I think your video card is the problem. From what I recall XNA requires shader 1.1 support and from what I can conclude (from various google hits) your card doesn't support it.

Has anyone come across this problem?

((  Sad I'm sad you can't run the game, especially since we don't use any intensive special effects ))

Meh, I'll just play from my boot-camped mac Smiley I'll post back when I've played it!

Zedix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2008, 11:09:16 AM »

Man that's the down side with XNA, regardless of the level of complexity of the game, you still need things like DX9 and Shaders 1.1. I guess it's the trade off that comes with using managed code like that.

Hope you'll be able to play! I'm also about to update the files to fix the little bug that was reported.
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »

Man that's the down side with XNA, regardless of the level of complexity of the game, you still need things like DX9 and Shaders 1.1. I guess it's the trade off that comes with using managed code like that.
Ye.. That's why I don't sympathize with such packages like XNA, at least for making low fi stuff.
I mean, are you actually shading something? Tongue

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »

Fun game, although I found sometimes I'd barely see someone sleeping, and I'll be blunt and say the football gameplay doesn't hold up too well. I'd like it if there was more sleeping, to make things a bit more frantic.
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »

Ye.. That's why I don't sympathize with such packages like XNA, at least for making low fi stuff.
I mean, are you actually shading something? Tongue
Nope  Sad

I'd like it if there was more sleeping, to make things a bit more frantic.

We played around with the sleeping timers to see what worked best. We found (in our opinion of course) that the way it is setup now was the best because if it was any more frequent the players would always be sleeping and the game would be unplayable. It might be funny at first but then there would be no point of going on with the match aside from the initial laughter.

Right now they fall asleep every 5 to 30 seconds and stay asleep for 3 to 10 seconds. If you found that they would never sleep than maybe they'd all bunch up around the 30 seconds mark and all pass out at the same time? Maybe increasing the length of the sleep would make it work best?

I'll be blunt and say the football gameplay doesn't hold up too well.

In our defense we did have a relatively short amount of time to develop the game. You couldn't expect something along the lines of EA's Fifa Wink Consider it a slimmed down version of soccer. Thanks for playing though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:20:11 PM by Gazillion » Logged

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »

Oh, I wasn't expecting a deep football game. I know the sacrifices that need to be made to get these games done in time.

I also just had a game where everyone was falling asleep pretty constantly, and it was great. i think I was just un-lucky earlier.
Zedix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2008, 01:54:27 PM »

I've updated the setup and zip file to fix the little bugs people had noticed. Thanks Smiley
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2008, 02:28:41 PM »

I haven't played a soccer game so dependent on punching the other players since an old Tiny Toons game for the Genesis. Love the premise, and the soccer gameplay is solid, although it does get a bit monotonous before the timer is up. I didn't notice: do you keep the timer running while the field resets after a goal? Anyway, tight game and I love the feeling of walking the ball into the goal when the goalkeeper is asleep. :D

Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »

I love having the game compared to a genesis game. I'd say the graphics look a little bit more NES personally but I'll take it  Wink

To answer your question, the timer does stop when you score a goal. Basically the timer only goes down when the game is in the "gameplay" state which is when you have control of the players, so it stops when out of bound, when someone scored, etc... (does soccer let the timer roll? To tell you the truth we didn't look up the rules too much, I kind of went with what I remembered from primary school :D)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »

Little remark : You should avoid naming your files names like "setup.exe" , you should really make the file recognizable from its name, because someone can forget the download, and after a few days it looks like a virus or something.
So a name like "narcoleptic_setup.exe" for example would be better Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »

Argh, I wish I would've read the bit about needing shader support before downloading and installing this, I could have saved myself the trouble.

Now I'm sad.  I was really looking forward to this game Sad

tweet tweet @j_younger
Zedix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2008, 01:25:10 PM »

Little remark : You should avoid naming your files names like "setup.exe" , you should really make the file recognizable from its name, because someone can forget the download, and after a few days it looks like a virus or something.
So a name like "narcoleptic_setup.exe" for example would be better Wink

You're so absolutely right. I totally pulled a blank when I went to upload it. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to go update the link. Smiley

Argh, I wish I would've read the bit about needing shader support before downloading and installing this, I could have saved myself the trouble.

Now I'm sad.  I was really looking forward to this game Sad

Nooo! It breaks my heart that you can't play it! Cry What's your address, I'll send you a video card! I had no idea Shaders 1.1 was such a recent thing, it's so silly that someone can't play a 2D game without needing a recent video card. Sigh, XNA is going down a notch in my books because of this.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2008, 02:32:15 PM »

Cry What's your address, I'll send you a video card!

If that were true my head would probably explode.

And I don't think PS 1.1 is all that recent, I just have a really crappy old 3d card.

tweet tweet @j_younger
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2008, 09:10:05 AM »

You're so getting my vote. Smiley This game is fun to play, incredibly funny to watch and the whole narcoleptic thing is implemented very well! Cheers!  Kiss

edit: By the way, there seems to be a tiny bug making my opponent's goalkeeper defending his goal next to the goal instead of in front of it... resulting in a ever open goal for me. He tends to move to much upwards on the pitch. Not sure under what circumstances this happened though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:21:39 AM by PHeMoX » Logged

"Fun is rule."
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2008, 11:51:09 AM »

You're so getting my vote. Smiley This game is fun to play, incredibly funny to watch and the whole narcoleptic thing is implemented very well! Cheers!  Kiss

Kiss You rock

edit: By the way, there seems to be a tiny bug making my opponent's goalkeeper defending his goal next to the goal instead of in front of it... resulting in a ever open goal for me. He tends to move to much upwards on the pitch. Not sure under what circumstances this happened though.

Did you download the game just now or did you get it and wait a while before installing it? I'm asking because someone had reported the bug and Zedix worked on it and had fixed it (or at least thought he did, if its back we'll have to take another look at it)

PHeMoX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »

I don't know when you've updated the game, but I do assume I have played a rather new version because I did download the game right before posting my comment. I've played the "nsr.zip" version.

"Fun is rule."
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »

I don't know when you've updated the game, but I do assume I have played a rather new version because I did download the game right before posting my comment. I've played the "nsr.zip" version.

Guess we'll have to find what's really causing it. A lot of people seem to be experiencing it and sadly I never came across it throughout all the games I played.

PHeMoX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2008, 05:23:32 PM »

I just played again to see if it happened and it didn't. But... I'm almost 100% certain it happened with the most recent version I've downloaded. (I had two, the setup.exe one downloaded at 25th of march and the nsr.zip downloaded a day later.)

I was playing the game for quite a while when it happened, perhaps choosing teams makes a difference somehow? I'll let you know if I find out about more specific details when it happens.

"Fun is rule."
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »

Hey guys.  GREAT job on this game.  Seriously.  It's amazing and way hilarious.  When I watched that first trailer you put up awhile ago with the fixed camera and the old timey music, I laughed...the entire time.  This is definitely among my top picks.

If you're going to keep working on the game I have a few suggestions. Take 'em or leave 'em.  I'm really nit-picky with this kind of thing, so don't take me too seriously Tongue

k.  here-goes:

- Inconsistent pixel size.  Overall it's got a large retro pixel resolution, which is sweet (the green play field for example).  But then there are things that use smaller pixels (the players, the hand cursor when you choose your team, the corner black spots of the soccer ball are really small, etc.)  It just stood out to me because it broke the low-retro-resolution illusion.  I understand though because it would be tough to get the detail you wanted in the players at that large pixel resolution.  So maybe you guys already addressed this, but personally I think that a consistent standard in pixel size would improve it.

- The icons in the thought bubbles when they sleep are kind of unclear, especially the soccer ball one because of the white bg of the bubble.  Unless the different icons do different things, but it doesn't seem like they do.  I think just some Zzzz's might be better/more clear. 

- The old timey ragtime music from the trailer was hilarious.  Even though soccer games never have in-game music I think you should put that back in the game.  It was great.

I love everything else, and hope these suggestions don't come across as negative.  Your in-game ads are great.  Tiny Platypus Pimps on the Discovery Channel, yep, awesome.

Thanks.
- Ted

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic