Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:11:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGGreat Magic of the Deep
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Great Magic of the Deep  (Read 10580 times)
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:12:05 PM »

Great Magic of the Deep
A quiet exploration game, following the adventures of a tiny ball that just wants some magic.

Have you ever wanted--no, needed something? Have you ever explored the ocean looking for it? Have you ever been a tiny ball? This is your chance. Control a ball named "Ball" as you make your way to the bottom of the ocean. Shoot harmless little white things at obstacles; not to be violent, but to kindly state to those obstacles "I need to pass, please take this white bullet and move away for a second or two."

You may be surprised what you find. Magic is an unpredictable thing. You can expect, though, to see many wonderful things. You will be busy for weeks.

USE ARROW KEYS TO MOVE
PRESS Z TO SHOOT

GET READY FOR PLAY

DOWNLOAD GREAT MAGIC OF THE DEEP
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 07:45:20 AM by Mr. Yes » Logged

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:02:28 PM »

i love you

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:48:17 AM »

guys, great magic of the deep is ready for play, playing great magic of the deep is ready for playing, play great magic

See the first post, please.

C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »

This is so evil. I love it.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:35:45 AM »

I found level 3 to be impassable, due to the 'trap' staying in 'on state even after I die and respawn at the top, killing me again and again. Also, I usually like 'punishment' type games (Aztec Challenge on c-64 used to be my favorite one), but when you randomize elements of the traps, it becomes more a game of chance than skills, and I fail to see the interest in dying over and over again without the opportunity to find a pattern or way I can succeed. A good example is your third level, with random bars appearing all over the screen, faster than the ball can move, with no safe spot (even at respawn!!!). It would have been better if you had the black bars sliding like jaws toward the player, leaving some very small safe spots for the player to wait for them to open again(think the falling spiky blocks with faces in supermario3). Same with the second level; it's just a timing thing, so why not have the fish go when the player enters the screen, so he can observe the movement and time his own approach, instead of dying once and succeeding the second time because by the time he respawn, the swarm is a bit off-timing so he can narrowly escape. The first level is okay, because it gives you some time to react (though you can just plow forward and shoot, and if you're lucky, make it to the next). I like the sounds and music and the retro feel, but in my opinion, you would need to work on the gameplay mechanics a bit more to make the game really enjoyable. Look at 'Dive', which has a similar concept, but is really well done.You could darken the water a bit as the player goes down, and add some pixel ruins in the distance.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »

I agree with lurk. For this type of game to be fun, beating it at least has to be possible. At level 3, you keep dying at the instant you respawn, so winning requires dumb luck. And I didn't have the patience to wait until I got lucky.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:00:46 AM »

:D

I'm glad I managed to confuse a couple people. Don't worry, I'm not THAT dumb. If I were to make the third level passable, what kind of joke game would this be?

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »

The deep guards its magic well!

Hay guyz, teh level 4 win seqense IS AMAAZGIN!!!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Rolf_Soldaat
Level 0

Fast as lightning.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 02:07:13 PM »

The magic is a lie.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 05:54:16 AM »

Mr. Yes, someone's in your domains, stealin' your website. With promises of a "theater ticket break london car."

EDIT: Unless I'm too obtuse to see something. And you're all laughing at me. Hardly polite.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:58:05 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 07:23:52 AM »

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Yes's domain expiring is not intended as a joke!

Although it does make that magic even more well-guarded!
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 07:40:33 AM »

Yes, sorry.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7m20jgll19k
Get it here for now.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 07:46:46 AM »

Indeed, the trip to the magic is a hard and arduous one, but finding it is an experience that surpassed any that I've ever had in gaming, or in any form of entertainment or art. It changed my entirely outlook on life and the universe around me.

I expect to be flying and shooting lasers from my fingertips in a week. Mr. Yes, I'm forever grateful.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 05:54:10 AM »

Damn that deep and it's great magic, and curse you Mr. Yes. CURSE YOU!!! Angry

Good stuff. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: