Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 06:50:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkAny volunteers?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any volunteers?  (Read 2610 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:52:03 PM »

I'm working on a game right now that has some similar workings to Ikaruga. I am having a lot of trouble trying to come up with a graphic style that would fit the gameplay. I'm looking for someone who knows what they're doing to help me out here.

IF I make any money off this game (which I hope to, but this is very tentative) you'll get money too.

Present some sort of mock-up graphics for things like the player and enemy ships, projectiles, and numerical bitmap fonts (as in, don't worry about letters, at least for now) and if I see a style fit to use, I'll go for it.

If I use your graphic style, you'll get a 1% cut of all, if any, profits/sales/whatever. If I use your graphics style and you agree and are competent to do all or most of the game's actual artwork, you'll get a 15% cut at the least. Remember, this is only if lady fortune smiles upon me and this game makes even a dime.

The game engine is getting close to completion; it's progressing quite rapidly thanks to being able to just copy-paste a good portion of the code from another project I've done. If things go well, I may be looking for a sound artist, and possibly a designer to help out, as well. Keep your ears open, because my ambition is through the roof right now.  Smiley
Derakon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:36 AM »

Hey, good luck on your project!

Have you considered trying to learn 3D modeling to make your own art? That's what I've done for my project. For shmups like Ikaruga, the modeling is actually comparatively easy; tons of people get their starts with modeling by making spaceship designs and you don't have much to worry about with animation either. In contrast, modeling organic creatures, and animating them believably, is much harder (figures that's what I've stuck myself with).

I recommend you download Blender, which is a free 3D modeling, texturing, and animation program, and log onto the #blender IRC channel on Freenode. Then just dive in! Personally I find modeling to be a lot of fun.

Alternatively, there's nothing wrong with placeholder art; just grab some rectangles and smush them together. It'll give you something to work with while you hash out the gameplay. Sad to say, but you're much more likely to get a skilled artist on board once you can prove to them that you have something that's playable and fun.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:54:13 AM »

Thanks for the advice! Actually, I'm looking for 2D sprites (though 3D models may be a better idea, now that you mention it.) I already have Blender on my computer, along with a plethora of other modellers, and I'm already utilizing placeholder art

I'll have something presentable by week's end. Hopefully the engine's level scripting language will be finished by then too, but I can make no promises. (This is why I would want a designer who knows what they're doing, because I myself am not well known for my level design. At all.)  Crazy
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:06:58 AM »

Mod! This is only unpaid if the game turns out free, which I certainly don't anticipate. If the game makes money, the artist makes money.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:54:20 AM »

But you are coming off the line with a big "if". You are offering no money up front, and a very small cut IF you make money.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »

Ok, I see.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic