Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:03:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Heart of Chzo
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Heart of Chzo  (Read 16628 times)
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 12:14:53 PM »

gawd this is awesome. will the fountain be a platform or a hazard?

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »

Platform. Did I hear correctly that the engine has a particle system already set-up? If so, could it be used to make it look better when the characters are standing in the fountain? I'm not really sure how to describe the effect I'm thinking of, but it's the characters-in-moving-water(blood)-effect.

edit: With splashing and stuff.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 12:12:58 AM »

You'd have to split up the "flowing blood" sprite into two parts, and put the upper part one layer over the player sprites, then add particle effects when moving or something  WizardHand Thumbs Up Right
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »

wouldn't that lag a bit? i got a fast notebook but it has a crappy video card (sis mirage 3). please don't do laggy things  Beg

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »

wouldn't that lag a bit? i got a fast notebook but it has a crappy video card (sis mirage 3). please don't do laggy things  Beg
the graphics settings can be changed to decrease lag. basically you can turn stuff like that off.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »

Yeah. Plus, none of that is particularly intensive.

Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »

You'd have to split up the "flowing blood" sprite into two parts, and put the upper part one layer over the player sprites, then add particle effects when moving or something  WizardHand Thumbs Up Right

This sounds mostly like what I was thinking of, yeah.
Of course, exactly where to split the sprite is a bit more of an issue, especially along the edges where the line wouldn't be horizontal.

eg:

But that bit isn't really hard. Relevant question: I think this may have been asked before, but does the engine allow alpha?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »

Of course. It's already used for some of the special effects.

Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 01:25:37 AM »

Needs more tall man/John DeFoe
Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 03:00:03 AM »

Of course. It's already used for some of the special effects.

In that case, what would you guys think about giving the lower half of the sprite (the part that's over the player) an alpha that gets lower as it goes up (not reaching zero before it reaches the surface). That way, we would get a bit of a 'depth' thing going on.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »

This stage is mostly done, although it is still missing finalized music. Graphics for the splashes and ripples around the characters' feet would be a nice addition.

We also need to decide if we want to add hazards or not. I would be happy either way.

Some possible hazards include:
-The blood flow slowly pushes characters towards the edge of the platforms.
-Periodically, Chzo's eye fires a huge laser in the direction it is looking.
-Cabadath appears and attacks (though his method of attacking should be different from the TIGBox, or it could get annoying)

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 01:22:48 AM »

I've got an idea for music, but it completely original, rather than a remix of any trilby music. Is that alright? If not, which game does this area appear?

how about he appears at a random point in the stage and flails, hitting both sides of him repeatedly for a while? not really typical of cabadeth though.

I like the idea of moving characters, but the only problem i forsee is it breaking up melee combat too much, giving an advantage to long range characters like liero and iji.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 06:44:44 AM »

I've got an idea for music, but it completely original, rather than a remix of any trilby music. Is that alright? If not, which game does this area appear?
You'd have to work the music out with battlerager, since he already called dibs. I think a remix of Cabadath's theme would be most appropriate, though.

how about he appears at a random point in the stage and flails, hitting both sides of him repeatedly for a while? not really typical of cabadeth though.
Yeah, that doesn't seem like the thing Cabadath would do. He doesn't waste any movement.

I like the idea of moving characters, but the only problem i forsee is it breaking up melee combat too much, giving an advantage to long range characters like liero and iji.
Maybe, but if they're on the same side of the stage, it won't split characters up.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 06:47:37 AM »

I think Cabadath should simply appear, and if HIT he instantly appears next to the target and runs them through, and then disappears. No knockback, but a chunk of unavoidable damage.

Cabadath does pretty much kill anyone who gets in his way in the games, but there's no proper way to make that work besides picking a random player to shank (which will leave them feeling victimized.)

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 07:22:43 AM »

You'd have to work the music out with battlerager, since he already called dibs. I think a remix of Cabadath's theme would be most appropriate, though.
Ah ok I'll step off his territory Tongue

Yeah, that doesn't seem like the thing Cabadath would do. He doesn't waste any movement.
Appears in the sky and throws his axe at the nearest character? Gives the player a chance to move out of the way, meaning it isn't so unfair as just randomly killing someone.

Maybe, but if they're on the same side of the stage, it won't split characters up.
Good point. Keep it.

Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 07:42:40 AM »

You could just have his runthrough slash have a split second lag between the animation and hitbox detection, allowing a prepared player to just barely avoid it. In that case, it'd be putting player on edge and make them more paranoid as well, which I imagine the prince may be fond of.
Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »

Honestly, I would rather it have no hazards. It is my favorite stage by far just being the flavorful vanilla stage that it is and for me hazards will only detract from that. I guess they would add even more flavor but, it would be at the cost of fun(to me)

-The blood flow slowly pushes characters towards the edge of the platforms.

That being said this doesn't look like a bad idea. As long as it is quite slow. I would like it the best if you didn't really notice it when playing except when you stood still. So, it's less "Uggg the blood flow is so annoying" and more "Oh, hey I move a bit when I don't do anything. That's pretty cool"
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:05:49 PM by Veo » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 08:40:39 PM »

Yeah, hazards aren't necessary at all. It can really work either way. If we decide to add hazards, though, there will certainly be another vanilla stage. It's important that there is at least one.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »

I think we should have no hazards aside from the blood flow.
We definitely shouldn't have Cabadath, since he's already a support character, and he may become a full character some day.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 01:35:41 AM »

Isn't lyle a pretty vanilla stage at the moment? I really don't think it would fit Chzo if the players aren't at least a bit on edge about it. I agree that there shouldn't be TOO much, don't want the player to fight too hard against the stage rather than the other players, but enough to keep them on their toes. There are so many better options for a vanilla stage, in my opinion.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic