Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:02:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGTropical Platypus Bandit
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tropical Platypus Bandit  (Read 8919 times)
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:30:36 PM »

"This is it, guys. We're going to break out tonight!" This game will have an amazing, compelling story, with maybe a little heart-string tugging along the way. It will be a "story-time game"  and will almost certainly be episodic, with the first episode released for the competition.*
The game will be a 2D puzzle platformer, with some great challenges. Expect plenty of laughs, along with some tragic-- Oops! I won't go any further than that. As you can see from the title screen, the game will be done with a classic 8-bit style. Now, you may be wondering about the "Tropical" part of the title. That will be revealed eventually. For now, wait for some mock-up screenshots, to be followed by real screenshots.

*Here's to hoping I can keep those semi-promises!

Progress Report: I should have a real screenshot up by either late today, or mid-day tomorrow. I have completed the concept phase, so expect some decent information to come along with the screenshot.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:00:49 AM by reetva » Logged

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »

Yay, another platypus game!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »

Yay, another platypus game!

Eeks! I forgot about yours! Well, if someone makes another platypus game, there will have to be a special Platypus category. May the best platypus-loving independent game developer win!

PS: Mockshot time!

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »

I'm liking your enthusiasm and all, but you do have to work on those tiles.
Goin' great besides that! Smiley

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:02:48 PM »

Nonsense.

tweet tweet @j_younger
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »

Goin' great besides that! Smiley

I'm in the process of redoing/actually doing all the art, (the new platypus art is done, so he looks like a platypus now! Hooray!) so you can expect some "quality" stuff. The trees will stay, though (now with defined outlines!).

PS: Platypus Time!

By the way, his tail is tucked in his outfit.

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 05:14:29 PM »

Woohoo! The engine is complete, so I can move on to the level design. Expect a great new game mechanic, too.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 05:17:01 PM »

methinks platypussies are correct.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »

Awesome!  You're really blazin' on this.  I like the new sprite, too - very cute!  Reminds me of the Hamburglar.

But unfortunately, Firefox is correct in this case: you can almost always add "-es" to the end of "-us" words.

OCTOPUSES
CACTUSES
PLATYPUSES
etc.
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »

Awesome!  You're really blazin' on this.  I like the new sprite, too - very cute!  Reminds me of the Hamburglar.

But unfortunately, Firefox is correct in this case: you can almost always add "-es" to the end of "-us" words.

OCTOPUSES
CACTUSES
PLATYPUSES
etc.

Wow, really? It doesn't seem to think that "cactuses" is a word, though. Huh. Anyways, you can probably expect a plethora of small physics-y puzzles after approximately a month-or-so. I've decided to sort-of drop the episodic idea, mostly because my story ideas got too out of hand to be contained in any amount of games under 15. Sadly, once I come up with an idea I can never let it go (hint, hint).
There will, however, be level packs, as indicated above. Also, I have some bad news, and some good news, to be said in that order. The bad news: There will be bugs for the competition version. The good news: There are only one or two that I have noticed, and they will very rarely affect gameplay, if at all. One of the bugs involves my usage of an engine primarily used to make 3D games. My "models" are extruded versions of the 2D pixel-platypuses and what-not. This means that, for some reason, when you place enough force on a physics prop it rotates for approximately half of a second. Fortunately, this is caused by another rare bug, which occurs when your bill is in between two physics-upped objects. The two objects go flying at crazy speeds for 0.2 seconds. This usually happens when you have a circle on top of a rectangle/square. I'll edit this post a bit later to show a new art asset. I've been working for about 3 hours on the game. Then I went off to type this post. I think I deserve a break.

PS: I like your comparison to the Hamburglar.

Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 02:36:31 PM »

Actually, for the overwhelming majority of "'-us' words", the plural suffix is "-i".  That is because they are generally derived from Latin, and "-i" is the Latin plural suffix for masculine nouns of the second declension.  In this case, the suffix is "-pus", from Greek.  As such, the acceptable plural forms of "octopus" and "platypus" are "octopuses" and "platypuses", respectively - whereas the plural forms of words such as "fungus" and "cactus" are "fungi" and "cacti".
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure that "cactuses" and "funguses" are correct, even if Firefox doesn't think so!  Wikipedia and Dictionary.com back me up on this one.

But "cacti" and "fungi" are also right.

In other words, everyone's right!
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »

The plural of platypus is platypi.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 03:45:13 PM »

The plural of Platypus Bandit is Platypus Bandii or Platypus Bandites, wikipedia says either is okay.

tweet tweet @j_younger
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »

Level creation is to be started tonight. I can give you a general outline of the scenes (levels) you'll hopefully see for the competition:
Prison: Make a daring escape to the outside world!
Filthy, filthy Lies: Your friends aren't your friends anymore!
If you're not careful...: Extra dynamite in this level!

You'll definitely see the prison, I can say that much.

Oh, and did I mention dynamite? Yes, I think I did. Here's an explanation: In real life, dynamite explodes over time or via remote detonation. In this world of anthropomorphic platypuses, it goes off when something touches it. However, considering that this is a challenging, but non-punishing, game, so you'll never encounter  a game over screen. Instead, you will respawn, with no changes to the level. You're probably thinking, "Wow, that sounds like crap," but keep in mind that there'll be some pretty challenging levels down the road. As the game progresses, you may get frustrated. In fact, I'll do my best to make you scream profanities. Try to remember, though, that when you make mistakes, they'll usually have hilarious results, especially in multiplayer.* That brings me to one last thing. When the level editor(!)* gets introduced, you can hopefully expect collaborative building.

*Multiplayer and the level editor will not be included in the initial release.

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »

Will this game have any boxen?

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 06:50:41 PM »

Come again?

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »

Come again?

Boxen is clearly the plural of box.  As in.  "I have one x-box.  You have seventeen x-boxen."

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 04:43:35 AM »

I was going to make a joke about Wius and Wii, but instead I'm going to derail this thread and say "Hey reetva I'm looking forward to your game."

tweet tweet @j_younger
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »

Oops. Super Smash Bros. Brawl will almost certainly delay the production of this game. Sorry, guys. On a lighter note, Lucas kicks ass.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic