Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:18:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGSamurai Railroad Mansion (Updated!download on first post)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Samurai Railroad Mansion (Updated!download on first post)  (Read 76033 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 10:49:12 AM »

It's absolutely stunning!

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 08:08:19 PM »

TeeGee: Thanks! I don't have any site or online portfolio right now, but I'm eventually going to make a blog for the rpg I'm working on. I was actually going to put one up this month, but I really had to participate in this compo, so I put the other project to rest a bit. If anything, I blame the tigersauce... Shocked

Thanks to everyone for the kind word. Right now I'm working on the ninja frames(did the second pass on the geisha yesterday). This is going to be a very busy weekend, but at least I have all of the game features in, and I can tweak things as I integrate the new artwork. I also did a few tests on the third pass details I can put on without ruining the color scheme- which is very important to the gameplay.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 08:59:15 PM »

Okay, stop being so awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 02:03:33 AM »

You have a lot of talent, once you post your portofolio, you will be drowned with propositions for jobs. Post on indiegamers and the casual cloners will be fighting over you.
Keep room in your schedule for some TIGSers when you're famous though.
Now get back to work.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
DarkSoul520
Level 0

Yummy Pixels

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 06:43:30 PM »

That ninja looks ridiculously awesome.

ichi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 07:25:42 PM »

I'm a long time lurker, but I had to register just to tell you your art is really sweet! I can't wait to see how it plays.
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 06:54:08 AM »

Okay, stop being so awesome.
At least your sharing the awesome  Wink btw, how long do you work on one of those frames?

I saw a little glitch in the samurai you may not be aware of: there is a luminescent pixel scratch on the legs near the hilt of the sword.

Can't wait to see more  Shocked

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »

Quick update, with the final workload weekend in sight, just need to add levels and a  maybe a few more characters. I finally reverted back to my original speed painting style for the graphics (see the first pic on page 1!), because the retro style would've been better with true pixel art I did not have time to do, and I was'nt satisfied with the overall feel when I tried it last sunday. I might even rethink my blood particles for some scratchy bloodspurts- speed painting is really...well speedy...

Next stop, final game! Maybe a gameplay video on saturday, when I'm done cleaning the HUD. Some games are coming in right now, it's all very stimulating. Onward everyone, and remember the Bushido!

edit: seems I have a problem with imageshack...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:52:15 PM by Lurk » Logged
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »

those images are so ridiculously classy
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »

Are you accepting marriage proposals?  Kiss

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 11:55:05 PM »

Quick update, with the final workload weekend in sight, just need to add levels and a  maybe a few more characters. I finally reverted back to my original speed painting style for the graphics (see the first pic on page 1!), because the retro style would've been better with true pixel art I did not have time to do, and I was'nt satisfied with the overall feel when I tried it last sunday. I might even rethink my blood particles for some scratchy bloodspurts- speed painting is really...well speedy...
Wow, and how long does that speed painting take you for one pic?
Your art inspired me and I tried doing a character for my game with a similar painted style  but it took me wayy too long, and of course with much less class.

BTW I kind of liked the mix between retro style characters and speed-painted backgrounds.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 03:28:00 AM »

Moi: With this technique, it takes me about 20-30 minutes to do a keyframe (6 per character), so for example, the Geisha took 2hrs, compared to the open-ended aspect of the 'polish till you drop' retro style. Usually, if you spend more than 45-50 minutes on a speed painting, it's a fail, because the point of the exercise is to toss things around very quickly, not falling prey to your art habits. I recommend a brush which angle and roundness changes with tablet pressure; it keeps you on the move. Also, I start in black and white, never erasing, no color sampling, just alternating between the two (I also change the opacity of the brush with pressure). It's also much better to start with a vague subject in mind, instead of trying to get somewhere (ex:I will draw a geisha, instead of, I will draw a historically accurate 17th century japan geisha). Don't draw contour lines, start with blots and shapes, quickly executed, and then refine. And don't be discouraged by failed early results, you just need to find a zone where your confidence drives the whole thing.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 07:59:28 AM »

Thanks for the tips Kiss This is mostly what I am doing already but I still need a lot of training before I can do something in 20-30 minutes.
BTW can you tell us about the gameplay? the screenshots look intriguing, is it like a card game ?

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 08:13:53 AM »

Dude, your your quickpaint style is fantastic, and I'm still blown away if that was what the game is done in.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

Man, you are amazing... is that Painter you're using?  I'm glad to see you're using Game Maker, too! Grin
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 02:02:33 PM »

You've made the graphics for this game three times, and each time they turned out better than something it would take me months to create. Incredible work.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »

Derek : No, it's good old photoshop, with custom brushes. I don't like painter, I feel there's always some lag in the strokes. I love Game Maker, GML is probably the only programming language I'll ever be able to figure out on my own, and the visual interface is really reassuring!

Moi: First gameplay video is on! I tried to do some kind of hogan's alley + west bank(c64) type game. This only shows 3 characters, the Geisha, SamuraiA(aggressive) and his apologizing version, SamuraiC. The final game will feature 10 levels,kensais,  ninjas, armored samurais, trains, mystery boxes, railcar riding crazies, ghosts and demons...some of these might be cut because of time constraints, but it's looking good so far.

To the video! The death animations, title screen and HUD are still placeholder.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 11:17:57 AM »

That looks great Kiss

What do you think of project dogwaffle?
I tried it and it seems fine enough, although I do have to combine it with Paint shop pro for the advanced tools (PSP on its own sucks for the pure tablet drawing)

ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »

This looks pretty awesome, Lurk.  The see-through character makes me think of Punch-Out! with a sword -- and that's not a bad thing!
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »

moi: I have'nt tried DogWaffle yet. Photoshop, with a brush changing angle,roundness and opacity with pressure is all you need(put a nice, huge tiling texture in it too, in color dodge mode). I've got a nice exercise too, make a big bitmap (300dpi, 1024x1024), using a big round brush (size change with pen pressure, as angle and roundness), and just paint around on a single layer with the big blot, trying to find shapes. Since you only have one layer in bitmap mode, you will have to integrate your mistakes in the composition while alternating between pure black and pure white. This is good to clear your mind before going back to result-oriented work.

gratuitous complementary ninja shot.

edit: ProgZmax- Too bad I had to remove it, I really liked it to, but it was too obtrusive for what I was trying to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic