Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:35:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGSamurai Railroad Mansion (Updated!download on first post)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Samurai Railroad Mansion (Updated!download on first post)  (Read 76310 times)
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2008, 01:08:42 PM »

Hehe,
Lurk, legend in the making.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »

Lukipuk: I'm almost done. With the external resources, the loading time is down to about 10-20 seconds(instead of 5, and the frequent slowdown when changing rooms). I just need to tweak a few things, and I am uploading(probably on saturday morning).
Slang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2008, 03:04:15 PM »

Cool. Thanks for the info, looking forward to it.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2008, 08:29:33 PM »

New, faster version(1.02)on first post(sorry if you don't like rapidshare :(hopefully mirrors will also be updated).
Changes:
Fast Loading(external resources)
Faster Katanaslice
new enemy patterns at loop 1
new character in hell, and in every level at loop 1-Karma Priest
Lucky strikes visual(no use...yet)
1 more song

Please let me know if you find any major bug or freeze!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 08:42:58 PM by Lurk » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2008, 11:55:36 PM »

The game's pretty damn awesome, especially with those incredible graphics. The sketchy quick-paint style fits MUCH better to the game's pace and theme than the ultra detailed one. Everything feels more fluid.

I hope you're taking into account the comments detailing how often the enemies' split-second attack windows may come at the very same time, screwing you over no matter what you do. You should REALLY keep this from happening.

For those of you having trouble with the game not starting up, just wait a while. It's slow as all hell when it loads, but after you wait until your computer stops processing it it's smooth sailing.

It's also crazy hard, even if you took care of the same-time-attack-window problem. You really need samurai level reflexes in this.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2008, 03:52:27 AM »

Could somebody please upload this game to some other place? After 2 hours of waiting for FU@#%ING rapidshare, I got "Your IP address is already downloading a file" message Angry...I think that gods doesnt want me to play this game after all... Cry
Slang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2008, 04:19:23 AM »

Seems this new version causes the same problems as the earlier one, only this time I can't even play - locks up at the instructions/scoring screen Sad
Imho, there's something fundamentaly wrong with the way the game deal withs memory and cpu resources...
Btw, the image at the loading screen (samurai head) looks really cool.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2008, 05:57:21 AM »

Try pressing any key multiple times. What kind of computer do you have? We tried the game on my old pc (win2k,512mb ram geforcefx 5600xt), on my wife's laptop (xp, lenovo with shi(awesome)tty components) and on a few boosted rigs at my day job, and never encountered this problem- but I suspect having low ram might be the culprit. If it is, I'll try to make a very, very low ram version- I'm learning a lot about optimizing right now Grin
Slang: try this one http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/4be36302db_19.15MB

Slang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »

My computer is a amd64 3200+ with 1 gig of ram and a 6800le card with 128mb. OS is xp. Should be more than enough to run the game, especially since all the other indie stuff, like Noitu Love 2 or Braindamaged Toon Underworld for example, run both like a charm.
Checking ram usage it seems your game "eats up" over 300 mb of ram when fired up which is rather excessive imho...not that I'm an expert on this matter Wink
Cpu usage also maxes out (100%) which is unusal for this kind of game.
Btw, does the link you posted (myfreefilehosting) lead to a newer version? Unfortunately, my download stopped at 75%. Maybe splitting it up in multiple rar/zip and uploading to http://willhostforfood.com/ would help...   

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 08:30:23 AM by Slang » Logged
Pencil_In_Pain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2008, 04:28:40 AM »

Awesome art and wonderful game. I got a little disappointed when you moved from the more finished sketches to the speed painting style. Those preliminary screenshots were a blast. (Is there any chance we could see an incomplete version including them?). Anyway, the game is beautiful and you got my vote. Congrats.

(Runs perfectly in my machine PIV2.40Ghz/512RAM/XPHomeEdSP2/Radeon7000)

dufake
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2008, 10:40:12 AM »

Impressive work.

You may think twice before I tell you,anyways,here are my ideas.
About solutions of difficulty :

First is slomo skill like Max Payne.
However,there's technique problem how game maker achieve this goal.
There's enough problems so far.It's a risk I guess.

Second one ,when the player kill one enemy,in this instant moment ,he is immortal.
There could be a text showing like "Block" something...
Encounters number remains the same for sure ,he will try again later.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:52:19 AM by dufake » Logged
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2008, 08:21:54 AM »

Second one ,when the player kill one enemy,in this instant moment ,he is immortal.
There could be a text showing like "Block" something...

That seems like an excellent solution to the 'get hit anyway even if you kill an opponent' problem when fighting two opponents who attack at the very same time.

Or... you could add the ability to attack at two places at the same time when pressing two buttons at the same time.

"Fun is rule."
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2008, 09:38:43 AM »

Or maybe just make sure that two enemies don't attack at the same time.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2008, 04:37:08 PM »

I like the idea of using multiple buttons, linking the buttons to each direction, so you could also slash the 3 'doors' at the same time. In the beginning, I thought about having a block button that would double as a 'bow' to have a bigger geisha bonus. But then it really changed the gameplay dynamics, and complicated what is in essence a very simple knee-jerk reflex game. I think in this case, how the player manages his deaths is more important than staying alive; for example, you can dispatch the blue samurais quickly, but they only give a measly 50, without the combo multiplier build-up that you get when you take the risk of waiting (which gives you, if you get the chain 1x500+2x500+3x500, so 3000 points in one full sequence. This gives you more lives eventually, and a better overall score. The multiple buttons solution is more appealing to me than the invulnerability-block or bullet time, because those only strengthen the player at no real cost, unless you make it a do or die situation(ex: when 3 of the same appear, you enter a bullet time mini-game where they, in random order, will try something very quickly, and you must dispatch them in the right order, if you win, big bonus, else you die). I'm a very old-school oriented player, and I don't like the recent slew of easy gameplays that give you a lot for no effort. I'm afraid it will create a generation of lazy players who won't have the skills or patience to be challenged, and will in turn insure the market is flooded with QTE games where the only requirement to get the ending is the amount of time you're ready to invest in the software, to plough through the painfully idiot-proof levels.
So I proudly fight under the banner of hardcoreness, where game over means game over, no infinite continues, no save/load feature, when you need to finish a game in one standing before the arcade closes for the night!  Grin
But I will seriously consider the multi-place attack, because it means the player is taking the same risk (maybe even more) as with one button.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »

I think there is a big difference between making your game bloody hard and making it unfair. Since this game seems to work on randomness, it's possible that someone gets really unlucky and gets various same-time-attacks in one run, screwing it quite forcibly. I also enjoy the fact the game requires a lot of reflex to get very far in, but I still think you should be able to go through the game perfectly continuously if you have enough skill. The ammount of skill can be that of an inhumanly good player, but it still should be possible.

Then again, that's just my opinion on what would improve the game. I really feel this game would remain in my computer for a long time if only that one thing was fixed. And yeah, being able to slash more doors seems like a good enough fix for it, since it still requires the same level of skill from the player (I just know I'll still be raped by the samurai ghosts, but at least only because of my lack of true samurai reflexes and not because the game fucked me up).

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »

Am I the only one to think that level 7 is WAAAAYYY too difficult? Huh?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »

Am I the only one to think that level 7 is WAAAAYYY too difficult? Huh?

It is bloody hard, and I never got past it, but I can see it's possible, especially if Lurk fixes the same-time-attack problem.

Also, would like to note that I voted for this game. My criteria was basically how awesome and addictive it already is for such a simple and still imperfect (in my personal opinion) game and how much potential it has. Oh, and the art made me have to change pants, but I don't want to focus on aesthetics in judging the entries. Tongue

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »

This game nearly killed my poor aging laptop, that would not have been bushido, but it got there in the end. Those graphics are sumptuous. Easily the best looking entry. my one gripe was that first samurai dude. He looks like he's going for an attack when he goes to bow. It caught me out way too many times. Good stuff.

dufake
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »

I can reach the hell(lv8),but 50 encounters are too much for me.
There are still many innocents hang out there.
================
If we skip the aim of the sword :

Left hand sword
Z slay the left door
X slay the middle door
C slay the right door

Right hand sword
Left arrow slay the left door
Down arrow (you know that)
Right arrow

The way to attack three doors :
Make a cross "X" swords slay

C + Left arrow

No idea game maker can do it or not?
Do you like this control setting ?
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2008, 04:45:32 AM »

Dufake: I like your button configuration, and thought about it. I will try something, but I fear it might change the game, from a simple reflex/color-shape recognition one to a button skill contest(like some kind of dance-dance samurevolution thing). I was thinking about something like holding the button 'z' over a 'door', then pushing the arrows to drag the hit zone over other doors(making it wrap around, so if you push right on the right door, or left on the left, it allows you to hit both), with the ability to retract your intended stroke, but only back to the first door(and put a timer, so that after 1.5 sec or so, the katana strikes).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic