Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:35:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)cintiq 21ux vs intuos 4
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: cintiq 21ux vs intuos 4  (Read 8144 times)
jonschubbe
Level 0

My observations become something you can observe

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:58:40 PM »

pros and cons? currently I use an old intuos 3 but I'm considering getting a cintiq 21ux rather than an intuos 4.

anyone that has owned both have any complaints about the cintiq/intuos? or good things to say about either one?

jonschubbe.com
closuregame.com
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »

I've heard that an intuos 4 isn't much of an upgrade if you have an intuos 3.

Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »

I have an Intuos3 and I use a Cintiq at work.  The Cintiq is amazing, and I'm totally glad I don't have to pay for it.  I wish I had a smaller pen than the one that came with it because it's a bit hard to see where I'm drawing at times.  I know you can buy different styles of pens though.  I just need to do it.

All in all, I do love the Cintiq though probably not so much more that I would buy one for myself, but that's mostly because I'm poor.  If I had the money to spend I'd just get both  Corny Laugh

One thing to keep in mind, I have never been able to calibrate the Cintiq alignment to be perfect.  It's good enough for the middle 75% of the screen but the alignment gets off the further you get from the center.  Hasn't bothered me too much though.

jonschubbe
Level 0

My observations become something you can observe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »

One thing to keep in mind, I have never been able to calibrate the Cintiq alignment to be perfect.  It's good enough for the middle 75% of the screen but the alignment gets off the further you get from the center.  Hasn't bothered me too much though.

Hmm interesting...I've read some things about calibration and it didn't seem to make much sense to me when I tried one out for like 5 minutes. I guess I wasn't using it enough maybe?

I am just wondering if the cintiq will provide a more natural drawing experience AND speed up workflow. I hear it can be slower because you have to reach across the entire screen to click things, whereas big lines take smaller movement on an intuos. I am thinking I'll be drawing most of the time and not having to do Maya or After Effects on it, mostly just a lot of drawing and 2d animation. (If I do more technical things I can switch to mouse/monitor.)

@Markham, I am leaning towards a cintiq if someone can prove me otherwise. But even still, the intuos 3 i have now, the drawing area peels off and I have to stick it back down frequently. It's going on almost 4 years old but still works for the most part although I'm still considering buying an intuos 4 if I don't go for the cintiq

jonschubbe.com
closuregame.com
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:42:37 PM »

Wacom sells replacement drawing area things on their website.  I've also heard the textured drawing surface of the Intuos 4 eats pen nibs like crazy.

I've been using both a tablet and a tablet PC (Mid-range laptop meets Cintiq's gimpy little brother), and while the calibration is a bit off near the corners, but I got used to it.  I find it hard to go back to the tablet when switching computers.

Imagineergames
Level 1

Sweet Slithering Bogaboo of Serpentine Proportions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 02:31:35 PM »

Well if you have a chance to really sit and play around with a CintiQ, then do so. That way you'll tell if you like it. I used to dream about having one, but after using it I noticed I just couldn't cope with my own Gigantic hand. Therefore; Cintiq's not for me. Go ahead and see if it fits you!

Imagineers of Flights of Fancy!<br /><br />Shades of Violet - Song of the Clockwork Princess
ansel
Level 0

I/O

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »

I own a Cintiq 21UX, and it's hands-down the best thing I ever bought for digital art. Extremely high quality both as a monitor and as a drawing tablet, and worth every penny. If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.
genitalien
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 07:11:30 AM »

the cintiq 21ux changed my life.  Kinda like they say the iPad does only for real.
Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »

Never used a Cintiq, mind you I've only been using an intuos 4 for a short while(And its not even mine, haha, I keep stealing it from my bro  Cheesy) But yeah, got into it really fast.I'm not all to keen on the short cuts on the tablet, I never use them, but I guess thats all preferences. 

I've had no problems with nibs, still on first one, and they give you like 8, so I see them lasting for a few years.

All in all I guess it depends on your preferences, if you like the look of it, it sounds and looks smart and you've got the money to buy it...Your going to buy it.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »

The shortcuts really start to shine once you assign them to your most common operations.(like changing pen size and undo/redo) It speeds up the workflow like nobody's business.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 08:08:28 PM »

The intuos4 is widescreen, which kinda sucks because it feels like a lot less space than the older intuos3 models of the same price bracket.  My intuos4 also developed a very large shiny spot on the pad where I draw the most I guess, even though I've changed nibs and everything like they suggest.  I wore away the texture of the tablet just after only a month or two of use.

The shortcuts are nifty on the intuos4, but I think I kinda like the intuos3 model better still.  I haven't used a cintiq long term so I couldn't really tell you how it compares.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic