Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:15:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGame On
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game On  (Read 2956 times)
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2008, 10:45:02 PM »

I'll be attending Game On some time in the next few months.

What's Game On?
Well, I'll just paste some text from the site I linked to above so you can read for yourself:
Get ready for Melbourne's must-see exhibition of 2008 - the action-packed celebration of games culture that has thrilled over one million players of all ages around the world. Game On tracks the development of videogames from the first computer game to arcade-era hits and the very latest from today's billion dollar industry.

Original illustrations by Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto and concept sketches behind classics like Tomb Raider and Grand Theft Auto provide unique insight into the creative process of game development. Rarely-seen consoles, controllers, arcade machines, packaging and collectables are brought together in a showcase of game history like no other.

Now, I am pretty sure I'm not the only Australian on the forum. I also think I'm probably not the only Melbourne-ite.

So, are any of you interested in having a TIGS meet at ACMI?

-Mike

Edit: Oh, just noticed Kotaku Australia has a comp running to get free tickets:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/03/week_1_win_tickets_to_melbournes_game_on_exhibit.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:47:20 PM by mike » Logged
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:02:53 PM »

Melbourne's a bit far fer something like this, so I reckon I'll pass.
Make sure you pick up your Aquaria postcard at the gift shop!
skrew
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 11:08:14 PM »

Well since i recently started a games degree at RMIT in melbourne im sure it would be somewhat beneficial for me to rock down there for a bit.
MattJ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:24:48 AM »

Oooh I wonder if my Net Yaroze game is still in the exhibition, anyone going want to let me know?

scruffy hermitgamestwitter
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:54:59 AM »

Well, cool.
Good to know there is some interest. I guess we should wait a while before we set a date and time to meet. Hopefully we can get a bit more of a group together soon.  Grin

Oooh I wonder if my Net Yaroze game is still in the exhibition, anyone going want to let me know?
Sure, we'll let you know. Wink
MattJ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 03:31:12 AM »

Sure, we'll let you know. Wink
Thanks, it's a cacky robotron twin-stick thing called Robot Ron. I think the Yaroze stand had several games on it, but Ron was usually playing.

I really enjoyed the exhibition when I saw it in London years ago, probably 4 or 5 years ago!  Possibly not quite enough text detail on everything to feeed my geeky heart but the Tomb Raider and GTA3 concept stuff is boss.

I do regret not getting a photo of Robot Ron playing at the exhibition, if a Tigsourcer (TIGsorcerer?  TIGsaucer?) could snap a pic that would be AMAZING!

skrew
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:09:07 AM »

After looking through the website and doing the mini tour it seems a lot more like an exhibition for those on the outside looking in. Rather than for the benefit of those actually interested in games, though if cash funds allow i might stop by
MattJ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 07:24:45 AM »

It is pitched so that non-gamers can enjoy it, my girlfriend really liked it for example and apart from Zookeeper and Singstar addictions she's clean. In London the arcade cabs they had were worth the admission price alone: Robotron, Pacman, StarWars Vector and loads more all on freeplay. I don't think they ship the cabs internationally, rather get collectors in the local area to lend, so it depends on the Melbourne scene.

Whatever though if it's local to you GO SEE IT, I mean how often do they even do exhibitions about videogames?

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 03:24:08 AM »

I'm from Melbourne and I'd certainly like to drop by if I have the time. It is showing for quite a while which is a good thing.

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »

Cool, well, good to hear there's a few interested people.

Any days better for anyone? For me, weekends are good. But I can also just go there after work, 'cause I work 5 mins from there...

Jolli
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 07:39:51 PM »

Im not even close  Tongue
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic