Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 02:42:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGYe Olde Ostrich in Crazyland
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Ye Olde Ostrich in Crazyland  (Read 20803 times)
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 05:13:21 PM »

Holy emu on a stick, that's awesome.

I'd say you're getting ahead of yourself... but you created Bonesaw. Carry on, good sir.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »

Nothing in the lines of imagery to post, but some progress has been made, yes it has!

I currently have a nice map system sort of like Super Metroid set up, its a pretty small grid though as I dont have time for a super huge full game here!  Level loading and saving works (as far as I can tell), and I also have a nifty camera system in the works.

Now, the juicy stuff really begins.  I'm going to try to tackle a solid platform engine with slopes, but honestly I dont really know how to handle such things (I'm using Multimedia Fusion 2 here, remember! Grin)  We'll see what happens.  Oh yeah, and animating this ostrich is going to be a big pain in the ass too, woohoo!

I've been thinking about the ways of combat in this game, and I think I have some solid ideas.
 * Ostrich can shoot energy from his mouth, and you can find new "weapons"
 * Ostrich uses the monocle to shoot energy.
 * Ostrich shoots from the mouth, but can change his weapon by sticking his head down into pots of juice (or something) that change his power

The first and third would require loads more animating, just because of the whole standing + shooting, walking + shooting, jumping + shooting, etc etc.  The 2nd one would only require me to just shoot objects from the monocle.

Any thoughts on any of this?  :O  I'm going back to work, haha!
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »

If the ostrich has a top hat (to go with his monocle) then perhaps all of his actions could involve pulling something helpful out of it?  Sort of like Felix the cat used to do?

(Advantage:  You could get just one animation of the ostrich pulling something out of a hat, and use it for everything!  Hooray!)

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »

If the ostrich has a top hat (to go with his monocle) then perhaps all of his actions could involve pulling something helpful out of it?  Sort of like Felix the cat used to do?

(Advantage:  You could get just one animation of the ostrich pulling something out of a hat, and use it for everything!  Hooray!)

Well, the top hat is an item you'd get at some point, hm.  So then would it be he could only use this ability while standing still on the ground? ;o

Heres my WIP for the map:
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 03:33:12 PM »

If you don't fill all 625 squares of that map then this game's worthless Lips Sealed

tweet tweet @j_younger
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »

If you don't fill all 625 squares of that map then this game's worthless Lips Sealed

FUCK.
Gnarf
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 04:29:53 PM »

Crazyland -- 625 squares of brick wall.

That is what you mean by 'fill'.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 04:39:49 PM »

Crazyland -- 625 squares of brick wall.

That is what you mean by 'fill'.

That would be "crazy" all right.

tweet tweet @j_younger
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »

I wish things were moving a little faster on this (graphics wise, argh I can't animate for the life of me.)  But heres just a shot of some progress.  This is the actual game and not a mock up, yay.

I really like what I have going so far, so I'll definitely release something playable come the due date of the competition, but I want to make it into an actual game after that, with bosses and what not.  :D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:49:21 PM by xerus » Logged
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 01:47:08 AM »

It's super nice, but to look at it, I'm not really clear on whether the pink stuff or the blue stuff is walkable surface. Is the blue stuff in the foreground?
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 10:56:19 AM »

Blue stuff is foreground, it'll be more clear when you're actually moving around.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 11:06:14 AM »

Wacky! The reason it's confusing is because of a visual effect where redness is perceived further forward and blueness is perceived further back, so typically you want elements that are more blue to belong to the background.

Think aerial perspective: the effect that makes distant objects look bluer.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 11:33:05 AM »

Wacky! The reason it's confusing is because of a visual effect where redness is perceived further forward and blueness is perceived further back, so typically you want elements that are more blue to belong to the background.

But this only works on earth, where atmospheric perspective makes things more blue! :D  This is crazyland, damnit!

An interesting theory, and I agree definitely!  I really like this color palette though, but I can play around some after I  make progress in other areas.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »

I like the pallet a lot too.  I also thought you would be walking on the blue stuff.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »

An interesting theory, and I agree definitely!  I really like this color palette though, but I can play around some after I  make progress in other areas.

It is actually experimentally verified! We went over it in a graphics class.

But still, obviously Crazyland can operate under different rules.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 12:45:46 PM »

But this only works on earth, where atmospheric perspective makes things more blue! :D  This is crazyland, damnit!

I think it's  not so much an optical illusion as much as it is the fact that we have been accostumed to it because most videogames designers have been using that technique for decades...
So when looking at a tiled game picture our brain tends to assume that bluish tiles are the background.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2008, 01:02:22 PM »

It is actually experimentally verified! We went over it in a graphics class.

But still, obviously Crazyland can operate under different rules.

It's called crazyland for a reason, y'know!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »

I think it's  not so much an optical illusion as much as it is the fact that we have been accostumed to it because most videogames designers have been using that technique for decades...

No, seriously, it is a recognized and studied perceptual illusion. The brain uses information about colour in part to generate depth.

It is evident in random samples of the non-video-game-playing population as well.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »

Right, cool colors usually go toward the background and warm come to the front.  I think.  Maybe you're talking about something different.

Anyway, I've been animating all day, and thanks to a cool combination of photoshop and imageready my workflow is pretty cool now!  Mad props to Adam for that ;D
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 03:49:12 PM »

No, seriously, it is a recognized and studied perceptual illusion. The brain uses information about colour in part to generate depth.

It is evident in random samples of the non-video-game-playing population as well.
I don't deny that the optical illusion exists, but I was pointing out that maybe this effect has also been overused in many platform games, I'm thinking about the 16 bit consoles particularly.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic