Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:19:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGYe Olde Ostrich in Crazyland
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Ye Olde Ostrich in Crazyland  (Read 20804 times)
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »

...visual effect where redness is perceived further forward and blueness is perceived further back...

This is more true in Russia.  I once made video game with blue platforms so government turn power off.  Or maybe power just go off itself...

-PENCERKOFF

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 02:29:16 AM »

Sure, that's what they'd like you to think.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2008, 11:42:01 PM »

Well, it would've been awesome to actually finish this... but my aim was far too high!  I kind of knew that from the beginning, but oh well.  I'll just have to put that much more time into this to finish it!

Heres a quick play test demo.  Just the platform engine, the ability to shoot fire from your face, and a map of sorts.  Just a few rooms, roam around, and thats about it.  I figured it'd be more satisfying to post at least something, right?

I mean, check out that ostrich animate... man.

http://www.bonesaw.org/ostrichtest.rar (z - jump, x - shoot, a - map)

Oh, and it seems impossible for me to not make something in Multimedia fusion that doesnt lag like fucking hell, so for those of you who can run it at a steady 50fps (hit numpad 0 for details about that) then have fun.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:44:21 PM by xerus » Logged
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »

Great art dude, shame you couldn't finish, you tried rebuilding your game with the latest HWA beta? It still ran fine on my machine but that would sort the fps problems unless you were using some unsupported extentions or something, dunno just a idea.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:46 AM »

Great art dude, shame you couldn't finish, you tried rebuilding your game with the latest HWA beta? It still ran fine on my machine but that would sort the fps problems unless you were using some unsupported extentions or something, dunno just a idea.

Well, for this engine the game loads each level based on a few active picture objects that render everything out from pasting objects into the background.  This functionality doesnt work in the latest HWA beta unfortunately, unless you set the pictures to "software mode" and that just generates the same results that the normal MMF2 gives me.
MultiPigeon
Level 0

Executive Walrus

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2008, 01:02:45 AM »

You know, I've been itching to say this since the start of this thread and I finally registered mostly just to say this.

Ever played Psychonauts? It's a game were you use psychic powers and explore the minds of misfits, monsters and madmen.

It has nothing to do with your game per se but I remember reading in an interview with the creator, Tim Schafer, that the original idea for the game was to play as a crazy ostrich. The ostrich had multi-personality disorder and the game's levels were to take place within the minds of the different personalities.

In the end, the idea was trashed. Tim Schafer thinks that video games is a sort of wish fulfillment and he thougth that no one secretly wished to be a crazy ostrich.

I love Psychonauts as it is but a game about a crazy ostrich would be awesome.

So... thank you, I guess.

My creative side is as big as my lazy side.
The possessor of many ideas.
The accomplisher of few.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2008, 07:24:19 AM »

You know, I've been itching to say this since the start of this thread and I finally registered mostly just to say this.

Ever played Psychonauts? It's a game were you use psychic powers and explore the minds of misfits, monsters and madmen.

It has nothing to do with your game per se but I remember reading in an interview with the creator, Tim Schafer, that the original idea for the game was to play as a crazy ostrich. The ostrich had multi-personality disorder and the game's levels were to take place within the minds of the different personalities.

In the end, the idea was trashed. Tim Schafer thinks that video games is a sort of wish fulfillment and he thougth that no one secretly wished to be a crazy ostrich.

I love Psychonauts as it is but a game about a crazy ostrich would be awesome.

So... thank you, I guess.

What an awesome first post.

I WONT LET YOU DOWN!
MultiPigeon
Level 0

Executive Walrus

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2008, 02:15:04 AM »

Hi. Yeah, um... Do you remember me? Of course you don't. I'm the guy who sent you that bug report for Bonesaw. The one about invicibility after picking up health drops during death animation. Yeah, I'm that guy. So hello for the third time!

Anyway, I found a bug while playing the demo. It'll be a bit hard to explain so bear with me.

Step 1: Trying to explain the problem.

If you stand on the edge of a platform and crawl of it, you'll get stuck in the air if there is a platform above you. Take at look at this map.

[] - This is a block

<o - This is a crappy ascii art ostrich

[][][]<o
         []

If the ostrich crawls to the left, he would would get stuck in the air but can gradually lose altitude by continuing to crawl.

Step 2: Explaining where you can try this bug yourself.

The only place to try this in the demo is at the bottom of the rightmost room. There is this long legde followed by three small steps. Stand on any of the the small steps and crawl to the left and you'll see what I mean. Or, if you understand my explanation, I guess you allways could create a test room with your editor.

Maybe it's time for me to leave this thread and explore all that is TIGSForums.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:16:36 AM by MultiPigeon » Logged

The accomplisher of few.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2008, 06:19:25 PM »

Thank you, my wonderful bug tester man.  I actually caught this bug after I thought I fixed it before, but now I really fixed it.  I probably wont be releasing anything playable for awhile, but we can both rest easy knowing that this is fixed.

I keep meaning to fix bugs in the Bonesaw game but editing that engine is such a daunting task now... ugh.  For now I'll work on Ostrich since I'm having more fun with that.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »

I think pretty much everyone secretly wants to be a crazy ostrich.

I'm really looking forward to when this one is playable.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2008, 12:41:02 AM »

I've been working on all the special effects that will lag everyone's computers... teehee.  This is what the death screen looks like:

I'll probably release another small playable demo with an enemy or two sometime in the next week or two.  Stay tuned.
MultiPigeon
Level 0

Executive Walrus

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2008, 02:24:41 AM »

I've been working on all the special effects that will lag everyone's computers... teehee.  This is what the death screen looks like:

I'll probably release another small playable demo with an enemy or two sometime in the next week or two.  Stay tuned.

When I first saw that image I though it part of the later stages. Final encounter in realm of pure crazy. Then I read the text.
If death is this flashy, what kind of eye candy will you cook up next?
Staying tuned.

The accomplisher of few.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic