Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 07:21:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessLimited edition floppy disk version for point-and-clicks?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Limited edition floppy disk version for point-and-clicks?  (Read 4946 times)
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 07:53:29 AM »

It's a cute retro charm, but not worth it. Especially not if it means a higher price. I ripped out all my floppy disk drives because it seemed to take a few milliseconds extra time to boot up the computer.

A more charming move would be to go back to those oldskool games and put like an anti-piracy thing in the form of a riddle which can only be understood if you read the manual. I love those.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:34 AM »

It's a cute retro charm, but not worth it. Especially not if it means a higher price.
He was specifically talking about doing a special limited version.
Uncutrok
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 02:19:05 PM »

A more charming move would be to go back to those oldskool games and put like an anti-piracy thing in the form of a riddle which can only be understood if you read the manual. I love those.
then they would post the answer in torrent or what ever form of piracy there using no?

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 09:25:07 AM »

The point isn't that it stops piracy, it's that you have to read the manual to finish the game. The manual would be filled with stuff that explains the history of the game world, and you'd have to answer some riddle based on that history. Or better yet, it shouldn't even be necessary to win the game, more like hinting at how to unlock a different ending or something.

With all the PDF manuals these days, it'd be great just to have a handheld physical paper manual.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »

If your game is tiny, I think this would be a delightful collectors edition! If it becomes too many floppies though it becomes a bit too much like clutter IMO.

I wouldn't worry about Sony stopping floppy manufacture. There are still plenty of 3.5" floppies available - hell, I still know sources for 3" and 5.14" floppies.

twitter: @docky
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 01:40:32 PM »

If your game is tiny, I think this would be a delightful collectors edition! If it becomes too many floppies though it becomes a bit too much like clutter IMO.

This is a good point. Even most of the smaller games produced today are usually close to 50 MB. And that could eat up close to 30+ 3.5 floppies. Unless your game can be squeezed or scaled down to fit on four to five floppie disks, it's not going to fly.

A somewhat better idea would be to include a "collector's edition" instruction booklet with the boxed copy. I've always really appreciated properly done instruction booklets. I am reminded of the "Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles" from King's Quest VI. Easily one of the best and most creative instuction booklets I've ever seen, and well worth the trouble of obtaining a physical copy of the game.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 10:42:48 AM »

most creative instuction booklets I've ever seen
ooh , don't forget the Leisure Suit Larry sniff-card booklet !
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic