Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:28:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSky♥Protector
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sky♥Protector  (Read 3386 times)
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2010, 11:51:11 AM »

A Game By tim-bo-jay & gobojo

ABOUT
So about a month back while talking to my brother the discussion of game creation came up. By the end of the conversation he had downloaded a copy of Game Maker and we'd agreed that if he taught himself to code with GM I'd make graphics and together we'd make hot sexy gaming action. So a month later he's acquired the basic platformer skills and I've FINALLY (seriously, it's taken a month to come up with a concept...that's depressing) come up with the game, so from the Johnson Brothers I give you Sky Protector!

STORY
The basic plot to SP is just that, Basic. We didn't want to over do ourselves on the first game we make and end up never finishing it and one place nether of us does too well is in story writing as well as the technical issues of presenting the story in the game (as we don't want to force the player to read walls of text nor is it possible for gobojo to program long cut-scenes yet...wait for SP2)so here's the story: Sky City is under attack from the evil robot Jack of Hearts and his army. You (Varick) as the chosen protector of the Sky System take up arms to put a stop to Jack before he finds a way to destroy the city.

The idea is to keep it simple but also allow for a lot of expansion if we come back to do SP2 (at which point we hope to have both improved our skills).

GAME-PLAY
The game will play much like a more player friendly version of Megaman (so Megaman Zero if you will) although you will be able to collect coins to spend in shops to buy new bullets for your gun as well as health and lives. We haven't thought about bosses yet but I hope we'll have a few.

As each level will be a different floating island we are looking into ways to make each island different, including some coating in clouds making vision limited, others where the wind is strong making platforming harder, maybe even some islands that will crumble as you walk on them meaning you can't stop moving (nor can you back track) for the whole level. These kind of things are still in early planning stages though.

CHARACTERS

This is our little hero, Varick. Not much to tell about him really as he'll be the history-less player very much like Mario was when he started out way back when!

The Heart Bots are your enemy in the game, they will come in many shapes and sizes, each with a different ability to challenge your skills. Don't be fooled by their paint job though, their heartless killing machines! (yes I hate myself for that line).

DOWNLOADS
No game downloads yet although I was kinda proud of the Sky Protector Font I made which you can now download HERE

TO COME
We hope within a few weeks to have a really basic level to show you guys, nothing fancy but just proof that we are getting somewhere. Till then we'd love to hear ideas and feed back, also gobojo is a newbie to Game Maker so if you can recommend any libs or tutorials send him a message!

A&Q
Q: Does this mean Monolith is dead?
A: Hell no! Zach and Noah are resting up after their exams but soon we'll be back on track with Monolith making it as sexy as ever!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:08:19 AM by tim-bo-jay » Logged
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:05:04 PM »

This looks radical. How long do you estimate it might take to complete?
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »

This looks radical. How long do you estimate it might take to complete?

Anyone's guess. This is a 'learn as we build' game meaning if we hit nothing too tricky it may be weeks, but at the same time for all we know we'll hit a total wall and it could be a year. Just have to wait and see, I think in a month or twos time we'll be able to put a estimate on how long :-D
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »

Looks like a cool project. Yeah, good tileable art is kinda tricky to do sometimes... about the only adjustment I'd consider so far are the robots - pink/grey robots with black "bleeding hearts" would look far cooler, IMO. Am I sensing some Bubblegum Crisis influence here? (That would be so wicked! And LONG overdue.)

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »

Looks like a cool project. Yeah, good tileable art is kinda tricky to do sometimes... about the only adjustment I'd consider so far are the robots - pink/grey robots with black "bleeding hearts" would look far cooler, IMO. Am I sensing some Bubblegum Crisis influence here? (That would be so wicked! And LONG overdue.)

Ah the paint job is based on the fact the whole game is gonna be bright and colorful and thus the dark robots seemed more fitting as the invading enemy (and easier to see). Although it's anyone's guess what color Jack of Hearts is! MWAHAHAHA!

As for the Bubblegum Crisis...I may get lynched for this but I have no clue what it is *googles* oooh those be some funky robo-Armour ladies. Admittedly they weren't an inspiration although now I've seen them they may be used for the design for the quicker Ninja Heart Bots :-D thanks dood!
Yshaana
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »

This looks very nice! I hope we get to see more soon! Love the robots !

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »

This looks very nice! I hope we get to see more soon! Love the robots !

Thanks dood! :-D

Just a heads up for everyone, I'm looking for ideas of how to make different islands interesting and varied from one another, also game-play quirks and so on, all ideas are welcome :-)
Yshaana
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »

Why don't you have the "evil robots" corrupt the islands as the game unfolds? Go from a bright and sunny game to a dark and moody atmosphere as the game evolves. Have the main character bring back life to the places he visits. Since you are in the sky, you could play with weather effects, dark clouds and such. Just throwing ideas around Smiley

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »

Why don't you have the "evil robots" corrupt the islands as the game unfolds? Go from a bright and sunny game to a dark and moody atmosphere as the game evolves. Have the main character bring back life to the places he visits. Since you are in the sky, you could play with weather effects, dark clouds and such. Just throwing ideas around Smiley

Actually I do like the idea of the islands becoming more "corrupt" as you go though the game, would explain things like spike pits. As for the sky, that will get darker as you go on to show the progression of time, the final level taking place at night, although I do like the idea of things in the background as you move though the game, maybe more sky ships begin to appear or little glimpses of future levels though clouds.  Good thinking my good sir!

Some other things we are thinking about which I'd love to hear ideas and feed back on is the shop system. We know we want the ability to buy healing items you can use later on (so there will be an inventory system), lives and new types of bullets but any other stuff for sale you guys think could be cool? Maybe a means of accessing bonus areas, or some kind of collectible mini-game or something.

A big question I'd like to ask is your opinions on tutorials. These days people have their hands held by video games, half of GTA IV was a tutorial, even basic plat-formers tell you which button to press to jump, and I think it's a matter of time before I see an adventure game give a tutorial level on how to move the mouse pointer. Anyway, do you guys think this is a good thing to help newbies? or maybe somewhere half way between needs to be found? Or do you think SP should go back to the good old days of NES games where you was expected to work it out for yourself or read a manual?

Oh and as I just posted way to much text here are some animated sprites of Varicks run animation and run&gun animation:
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 10:11:12 PM »

Anyway, do you guys think this is a good thing to help newbies? or maybe somewhere half way between needs to be found? Or do you think SP should go back to the good old days of NES games where you was expected to work it out for yourself or read a manual?

Give minimal unobtrusive ingame instructions - "Use the arrow keys to move and jump, press z to shoot", for example, at the very start of the game. That ought be the extent.
Kevin
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 11:50:09 PM »

Anyway, do you guys think this is a good thing to help newbies? or maybe somewhere half way between needs to be found? Or do you think SP should go back to the good old days of NES games where you was expected to work it out for yourself or read a manual?

I'm generally not a fan of blatant in game instruction (ie: huge tracts of instructional text floating in the air inexplicably) as it lessens the sense immersion for me or something. Conversely, I love old manuals, particularly when they're loaded with fun, colourful art and corny plot summaries and the like, but the additional work required to produce a nice-ish manual might be prohibitive and besides, I'm sure my appreciation for manual-style instruction isn't universal.

That said, I think  an optional tutorial stage, or an instruction write-up/control config, accessible from the main menu, would suffice in terms of in-game instruction. I think keeping things as unobtrusive (as _Madk said) and unintrusive (as in, not affecting immersion/atmosphere/internal logic/whatever) is the most important thing. If you can pull of a well integrated in-game presentation of the controls, more power to you.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 02:53:59 PM »

Have a sign that shows the arrow keys and Z. People will press the buttons and figure it out for themselves. You don't need any floating text either this way.
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »

Thanks guys, all good feed back :-D I do forget that this will be a PC game and thus it isn't a case of mashing a few buttons on a game pad till you know what does what. I'm thinking of maybe hiding the tutorial within a video game system at the start that Varick can use which loads up an 8bit version of Sky Protector that has a tutorial included within in using the same controls as the actual game. Not sure if we'll go though with that but I like the idea of some "outside the box" presentation of some stuff :-D
gobojo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 11:44:41 PM »

hi guys
Gobojo here thought I better make an appearance as I am the other half of this team.
I hope to have something to show u guys soon bank holiday weekend coming up so that should give me a full day of problem solving and getting a very basic level ready
Thanks for all your idears
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 02:15:25 AM »

Those sprites look pretty nice.  I look forward to seeing this develop.  Keep us updated on your progress.   Beer!

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 08:31:39 AM »

How have I not seen this yet? Looks awesome, the pixel work is as good as ever and I'm loving the cute-evil-loving enemies.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic