Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:50:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsClaustrophilia Released!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Claustrophilia Released!  (Read 19047 times)
ortoslon
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 07:14:13 AM »

25fps with particles, 35fps without now. movement still doesn't feel smooth to me. have you looked into raster game libraries for flash (flixel or flashpunk)?
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 07:29:11 AM »

25fps with particles, 35fps without now. movement still doesn't feel smooth to me. have you looked into raster game libraries for flash (flixel or flashpunk)?

Still 25/35? DANG!
Crappin hell...

anyways,

What kind of computer are you on?
And could you see what you get when you play the downloaded version?
you can find it here: http://www.sir-realism.com/claustrophilia.rar

Cheers,

Maxim

ortoslon
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 09:48:42 AM »

same framerates for downloadable. my PC: 512k ram, 128k geforce 7300gs, 1.8 ghz athlon amd64, windows xp sp3 32bit, flash player 10
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 10:18:43 AM »

So hey, something funky just happened when I was crushed against the right edge- I popped out through it. And the framerate started dropping like a rock. No idea what happened, but at the very least it seems I wasn't dead.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 11:16:56 AM »

So hey, something funky just happened when I was crushed against the right edge- I popped out through it. And the framerate started dropping like a rock. No idea what happened, but at the very least it seems I wasn't dead.

Ah, yeah, the framespeed drop is because you keep falling faster and faster (cause of gravity) and the engine is pixelperfect so that's indeed not good for the FPS. But of course you shouldn't be falling out of the game's field, so I'll correct that

Thanks for telling :D

Edit: it's fixed now ^^
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:23:37 AM by Igorness » Logged

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »

same framerates for downloadable. my PC: 512k ram, 128k geforce 7300gs, 1.8 ghz athlon amd64, windows xp sp3 32bit, flash player 10

mmm, I must admit that I don't really know that much about computer specifications, so I can't really say if you just have a really crappy computer or if there's something wrong with the game.

So, can you play other flash games at decent speed? And what happens if you put the quality down?

Also, do other people still have trouble with the game's framespeed too? it should be 50 fps!

I'm really sorry it's so difficult to fix...  Sad

ortoslon
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 11:37:49 AM »

my PC is pretty low-end but i play most indie flash games just fine. putting the quality down adds like 5fps
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »

my PC is pretty low-end but i play most indie flash games just fine. putting the quality down adds like 5fps

Any specific moments when it peaks downwards, or is it constantly around 35/40?

Ow, and I changed some more in the internet version, see if it's better now (not really hopeful, but who knows?)

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 06:34:02 AM »

Allright, I've looked into optimizing even more (Dang, I hate this xD) and I've found out that PNG is supposedly better than GIF. So, I made a PNG version of the game and I'd like to ask you guys (especially those with FPS problems) which version get's your framespeed closest to 50fps?

Cheers,

Maxim

ortoslon
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 06:47:28 AM »

PNG version is much better, it's finally smooth enough (35-40fps with particles, 40-45 without). looking forward to the finished game
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 06:53:24 AM »

PNG version is much better, it's finally smooth enough (35-40fps with particles, 40-45 without). looking forward to the finished game

AWESOME! :D
Dammit I'm so happy right now ^^

Solved
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 02:14:36 AM »

Getting around 80fps on linux on png version so I don't think there are any major performance problems.

Quite an addictive little game.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:21:31 AM by Solved » Logged
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 03:55:16 AM »

Getting around 80fps on linux on png version so I don't think there are any major performance problems.

Quite an addictive little game.

80FPS!???

xD I don't know how well flashplayer works on linux, but the framespeed is supposed to be at 50. I'm surprised you can even play the game if it goes so fast, but maybe it's the framespeed counter that's not working properly. So, if you can play the game without thinking you're on speed I suppose everything's cool :D

Thanks for the feedback! ^^

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 05:50:01 AM »

Time for an update! =D

Apparently the PNG version seems to have fixed (most of) the framespeed problems, so that's really awesome :D

As a token of our happiness here's a new game mode! ^^ It's theme is 'horror' and you're a skeleton. the goal is to collect as many crosses as possible without dying. I do have to warn you though, this is the most difficult mode yet! =^,^=

http://sir-realism.com/claustrophilia.php

cheers,

Maxim

Ow and, tell me your highscores! ^^
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:23:00 AM by Igorness » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 05:53:46 AM »

i don't like how both the skeleton and the cross blend in with the walls, you should make them look less similar
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »

I think the latest one (the collection one) is fun but too luck-based.

My highest for it is 12, but that's because on my last game the crosses just kept spawning near me! Frequently I get more like 4, and my previous best was 9.

My score for the first level, on the other hand, is usually around 30 -- and with both the first and second levels I find it really interesting how there's literally no randomization; everything that happens is based purely on where you are and what you do.

I think that the third level would benefit from something that, at least, ensures the cross spawns somewhere far away from you!

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 03:40:28 AM »

Hello! We have something awesome for you: A video ^^

As you can see we're playing with 3 players. It's me, Ingmar (the artist) and his girlfriend. ^^
The game will probably have support for up to 4 players. In this movie Ingmar was playing using my NES controller, but if you don't mind sitting close it's possible to have 4 players on 1 keyboard (I suppose). You only need 3 buttons for this game =^,^=

In the background (although it's hard to see) is what the backgrounds of the game will probably look like: A bunch of assets that fit the theme are randomly placed in the background.

i don't like how both the skeleton and the cross blend in with the walls, you should make them look less similar

Would you say it's still bad with this new background?

I think the latest one (the collection one) is fun but too luck-based.

My highest for it is 12, but that's because on my last game the crosses just kept spawning near me! Frequently I get more like 4, and my previous best was 9.

My score for the first level, on the other hand, is usually around 30 -- and with both the first and second levels I find it really interesting how there's literally no randomization; everything that happens is based purely on where you are and what you do.

I think that the third level would benefit from something that, at least, ensures the cross spawns somewhere far away from you!

In the movie it's not yet implemented, but I made it so that you can't spawn near the cross anymore and it can't spawn next to you either. ^^

Thanks for all the feedback guys! <3
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:45:01 AM by Igorness » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 04:00:26 AM »

dark background makes it better
Curseman
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 04:25:51 AM »

I like this concept.  I bet it'll be a lot of fun when you add multiplayer.

Are you going to have more than one level?  Different block types?
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 04:47:40 AM »

dark background makes it better

Thanks =^,^=

I like this concept.  I bet it'll be a lot of fun when you add multiplayer.

Are you going to have more than one level?  Different block types?

There will be 4 theme's with each their own 'objective'
In multiplayer this is the same, but the objectives will be altered a little to become competitive in stead of highscore based (as single player will be).

You can already play 3 single player levels: http://sir-realism.com/claustrophilia.php

About the special block types, we tried that, we had a hole bunch, we actually even had like levels with puzzels and such, but we decided against it. Cause it leads away from that what makes the game awesome, whatever that is. ^^

Cheers,

Maxim
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:31:34 AM by Igorness » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic