Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:01:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsClaustrophilia Released!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Claustrophilia Released!  (Read 19045 times)
Dauss
Level 0

"DAMN YOU HEMMINGWAY!"

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »

Found an exploit.

The bottom block and the ones left or right cannot move to crush me, because they all try to move at the same time and stop each other.

(I found it after I left the game running and stepped out for a while, came back, and there it was.)

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 05:31:03 AM »

Found an exploit.

The bottom block and the ones left or right cannot move to crush me, because they all try to move at the same time and stop each other.

(I found it after I left the game running and stepped out for a while, came back, and there it was.)

Damn it! I hate that bug, in fact it's not even a bug, it's a shortcoming of flash, if you look at the script it is impossible for such stuff to happen, actually if you zoom in using the zoom in function you get in the right-click-menu it stops happening.

luckily it's fixed now! ^^ I changed some stuff which has no effect on the game, but did make this exploit impossible :D

Also, it's time for some new stuff! =D

Level 3 now has a background like in the movie ^^
I fixed a glitch which made you 'stand' on top of a cross for 1 frame :D
And now you can't spawn near crosses anymore and they can't spawn next to you either (the minimal distance now is 200 px) =D

Also level 4 is added! You are now inside a robot factory and you, as a machine repair man, have to jump on top of as many blocks as possible (why? no one knows...). Jumping on 1 block twice doesn't work, but jumping on another and then back again does work. Just don't try the same block twice in a row.

clicky! =D

Hope you like it! ^^

Cheers,

Maxim

Ps. with the new flashplayer update it runs even smoother! =^,^=

Pps. post your highscores! ^^
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:48:10 AM by Igorness » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 08:14:59 AM »

In level 4 you gain a random amount of points while respawning.
Solved
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 08:41:19 AM »

Getting around 80fps on linux on png version so I don't think there are any major performance problems.

Quite an addictive little game.

80FPS!???

xD I don't know how well flashplayer works on linux, but the framespeed is supposed to be at 50. I'm surprised you can even play the game if it goes so fast, but maybe it's the framespeed counter that's not working properly. So, if you can play the game without thinking you're on speed I suppose everything's cool :D

Thanks for the feedback! ^^

No, the game doesn't appear to be going too fast, might be a problem with the frame counter, odd.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:51:38 AM by Solved » Logged
Curseman
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 06:47:53 PM »

You're awarded a point for every block your corpse touches as it flies off the screen.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »

Getting around 80fps on linux on png version so I don't think there are any major performance problems.

Quite an addictive little game.

80FPS!???

xD I don't know how well flashplayer works on linux, but the framespeed is supposed to be at 50. I'm surprised you can even play the game if it goes so fast, but maybe it's the framespeed counter that's not working properly. So, if you can play the game without thinking you're on speed I suppose everything's cool :D

Thanks for the feedback! ^^

No, the game doesn't appear to be going too fast, might be a problem with the frame counter, odd.

Okay, that's good. I myself am getting way too high framespeeds now too (it swings from 50 to 150) but that was only after the flashplayer got updated. Anyways, good to hear that the game is playable! ^^

You're awarded a point for every block your corpse touches as it flies off the screen.

Which is something that shouldn't be happening xD
No, level 4 is pretty screwed up right now, I'm sorry for the crappyness. I think I'll also make some changes to the level's mechanics itself, cause they could be more fun. I'll be updating as soon as possible!

Cheers,

Maxim
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:45:43 PM by Igorness » Logged

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2010, 07:31:03 AM »

Allright! New build! =D

2 player multiplayer is now possible for level 1 and 3! =D
In level 1 multiplayer when a player survives for 10 seconds he gets a point :D
In level 3 multiplayer you both just run for that cross!

Also, there's a new background for level 2 (although we're still working on it)
AND there are now particles for all the themes! ^^

Also, level 4 has been altered, so that now you get a point by touching a block, but you can only get 1 point per block but if you've touched all the blocks of the level they'll all be available again ^^

clicky! <3

I hope you like it! =D

Cheers,

Maxim

Ps. Do you like the new level 4 better?
    Does multiplayer work like should?
    Are the graphics good?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:11:01 AM by Igorness » Logged

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2010, 11:41:10 AM »

Hooray! New Update! =D

We now have MUSIC! :D
I made some chiptunes for all 4 themes =D tell me if you like them and how I should improve them if you think they're crap, or partly crap, or something...

There are also sound effects, tell me about them too and such...

clicky! <3

Hooray!

Cheers,

Maxim

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 08:02:40 AM »

Hey there! Long time no see ^^
Sorry bout digging this up again, but we're continuing development on this little treasure. Yay!

I've finally given. When I found out as3 is 8 times as fast as as2, there was no arguing anymore. So I rewrote the whole game (yeah, kinda not really necessary, but I wanted too anyways, cause it used to be quite a mess). So to all the people who before could not properly play this game, you can now! Especially Ortoslon, I hope you'll find this page and see if the game works fine for you now ^^

What's new: Awesome time traveling and slomo feature. Time traveling will probably not be used as a gameplay feature, but just as replay to show your most awesome moves. Slomo will be usable and without penalty! (except for the time going slower). There's rolling and a super roll of you role while landing =D

Controls:
  • Walk around with the right and left arrow keys
  • Jump with the up arrow key
  • Crouch with the down arrow key
  • Roll by walking while crouching
  • Super roll by performing a roll quickly after landing (you'll get a speed boost)
  • Wall slide by pushing yourself into walls
  • Release the wall by pressing the other way, pressing down or don't press any arrow key (<- has a little delay)
  • Wall jump by tapping the up arrow key while wall sliding
  • Enter Slomo by holding down shift
  • Travel back in time by holding space (is more of a replay feature than an actual gameplay feature)
  • Pause the game with 'p'
  • Mute the sound with 'm'

You can now play with 4 characters and in 4 different level themes. The music is not the final music! It's just a chiptune I made and we needed something to show the awesome sound effects during slomo and time travel (You'll see!)

What do you guys think? Does it play smoothly? :3 Tell us your highscores! :D

It's nice to be working on this project again  Gentleman

Cheer!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:35:44 PM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 09:21:09 AM »

This is awesome :3
Everything feels far smoother now, and the music is great.

You should mention that time travelling back is more of a replay feature (although upon further reading you do mention that, just not in the bullet points).

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2010, 09:23:56 AM »

This is awesome :3
Everything feels far smoother now, and the music is great.

Thanks! ^^

You should mention that time travelling back is more of a replay feature (although upon further reading you do mention that, just not in the bullet points).

Done
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:35:02 PM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2010, 02:43:08 AM »

the framerate is smooth (30-60 fps) but the game seems to run at slightly varying speed (like the speed depends on the framerate). either that or jumping physics are weird, i can't tell
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »

the framerate is smooth (30-60 fps) but the game seems to run at slightly varying speed (like the speed depends on the framerate). either that or jumping physics are weird, i can't tell

Nah, I know what you mean. The varying speeds are caused by the changes in many/less calculations that need to be done. These vary an awful lot in this game, cause so much is moving at the same time (or isn't), if you get what I mean.

I'll see if I could improve some more. But I guess this is kind of the limit for flash if I want it to do what I want it to do. Else I'll have to change gameplay stuff, which I really don't want.

Maybe, I could try some options with more or less particles, but I don't think that's the problem... :/

Anyways, thanks for trying again! ^^

Edit:

I updated the version. It now allows you to say if you want few, average or many particles. If you could try these out to see if it makes any difference.
I've also enabled hardware acceleration. It seemed to run a lot smoother on my PC, but on my Mac it seemed the same (with the slowdown during jumps). But that could be cause I don't have openGL installed on my Mac, which, I believe, is required for the acceleration on Macs.

See if it works!

Cheers,

Maxim

Ps. the game also has scanlines Tongue tell me if you like it! ^^
Oh, and rewinding is now infinite! So now you can rewind further then your last death! Awesome, eh?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:38:14 AM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »

IMO, the scanlines are somewhat distracting and shouldn't be on by default. Maybe they don't go well with a more hi-rez art style.

I think adding some kind of background pattern to each level instead of plain grey would be nice, as long as it doesn't make it harder to see the blocks. Or, add an option to turn it on/off.

Curseman
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the character's vertical movement feels a little bit faster than it should be.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »

Hey there good people!

I am having this really really really crappy problem. I thought moving from as2 to as3 would solve all my performance issues, but they've caught up with me again. The thing is however that as3 now allows you to enable hardware acceleration. This could be the solution to all my problems, if only it would behave consequently. When I test it with hardware acceleration on my pc it runs awesome, if I test it on my Mac it runs at halfspeed, bleh. But if I turn off the hardware acceleration it runs really well on my mac (almost like it does with acceleration on my pc) but it runs really unfluent on my pc. To make things worse there are 2 kinds of hardware acceleration, one is Direct Draw and the other is called GPU. I believe Direct Draw can be done on any computer, but GPU really uses the power of your graphics card, so if you have a crappy graphics card it won't really work. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I made 3 versions of Claustrophilia. One without acceleration, one with Direct Draw acceleration and one with GPU acceleration. I would love it if you could shortly try out all 3 and tell me which one works best. If you could tell me what operating system you are running and if you consider your computer to be good or crappy that would help immensely too :3

Thanks in advance!

Claustrophilia 1 (No hardware acceleration)
Claustrophilia 2 (Direct Draw acceleration)
Claustrophilia 3 (GPU acceleration)

Do not keep all three tabs/windows open, it will effect the performance of the one you're testing (espicially with the GPU acceleration).

Cheers!

Maxim
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:08:27 AM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

Curseman
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »

The version with no hardware acceleration (#1) gave me the worst performance, and I think the direct draw acceleration (#2) verion worked the best, but it was pretty close to the other one.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, and my computer is mediocre.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »

The version with no hardware acceleration (#1) gave me the worst performance, and I think the direct draw acceleration (#2) verion worked the best, but it was pretty close to the other one.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, and my computer is mediocre.

Awesome, thanks ^^

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the character's vertical movement feels a little bit faster than it should be.

Is this the same when you play version 2 (the best working version) ? And do you mean falling or jumping, or both?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:07:49 PM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

Curseman
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2010, 07:53:41 PM »

That was just my personal opinion on how the character controls, it wasn't anything related to the game's performance.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2010, 06:16:22 AM »

Actually, does anyone know if it's possible to use hardware acceleration when submitting your flash game to a game portal (like Kongregate, or NG)? Because it's not something in the .swf (I believe) but it's in the .html file Huh?

If not I could just forget about all this and try to optimize my code for non accelerated mode Crazy

Another flashy question: if I load the music for our game externally from a path on our own website, will this effect our broadband (if that's how you call it). So if many people play our game, will it take longer for the music to load, cause our website isn't really strong or anything. (Damn I lack the vocabulary to correctly address this question Concerned)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:34:12 AM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic