Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:23:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Deep Cave [RELEASED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Deep Cave [RELEASED]  (Read 6529 times)
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:16:25 AM »

Hello.

The working title of my new game is: The Deep Cave. It´s made by the XNA Framework and it is released for XBOX Live Indie. And I will maybe release it for PC aswell.

Get it here: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Deep-Cave/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585506f7

Homepage
http://pennybridgeindiegamestudio.blogspot.com/ New homepage... yes I know that this moving text is irritating.  Corny Laugh
Type of Game
Adventure/Puzzle/Platformer

Story
Get to the bottom of the cave. The deathcount is on!

Trailers
Official Trailer:

Videos
EARLY BETA:

Physics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nywdc60Clbg

Take a look at my other game (Eelo) here on the forum: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9352.msg291301#msg291301
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:54:46 AM by jijaweb » Logged

/jija
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:34:57 PM »

The black bubble-looking enemies that jump up and down and move side to side are small and barely visible. They should definitely either be a more contrasting color (rather than black with a dominantly gray background, resting on black ground) or larger. Not both, though, I don't think that'd look as good as just one solution applied.
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 03:17:12 AM »

Yeah..!  Hand Thumbs Up Right I will probably render those enemies in a different color.

/jija
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:43:02 AM »

To be quite honest, this looks kind of dull and badly-designed: from what I can see of the video, anyway.

Platformers of this nature (jump over things with good timing) have been around and explored forever, and it doesn't look like you're doing anything different.

Also, there is nothing fun about spawning just to drop into a pit of spikes, regardless of how quickly you respawn.

Anyway - maybe you've got something else in mind for the future seeing as it's still an "early beta", but I figured I should suggest you do something differently than you've exposed in that video.

jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:35:07 AM »

To be quite honest, this looks kind of dull and badly-designed: from what I can see of the video, anyway.

Platformers of this nature (jump over things with good timing) have been around and explored forever, and it doesn't look like you're doing anything different.

Also, there is nothing fun about spawning just to drop into a pit of spikes, regardless of how quickly you respawn.

Anyway - maybe you've got something else in mind for the future seeing as it's still an "early beta", but I figured I should suggest you do something differently than you've exposed in that video.

I don´t think this is good constructive criticism. But maybee it´s just me? As I wrote in the video, this is just a BETA. The levels is just test levels. You see just a glimse of the game. I don´t know if I´m just going to ignore your post, (thats hard because I´m writing an answer right now), or making the game better by doing ass kicking levels and let you see more of the game mechanism. Right now it´s too early.
 Angry

/jija
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »

Well, for what it's worth the game looks great, but I think what Droqen was trying to say was that you really aren't adding anything original to your game.

This genre (the hyper difficult jump-only platformer) has, quite frankly, been done to death: for example, the Jumper series, knytt and very recently Orton and the Princess. So what we are suggesting is that you should probably add some sort of novel gameplay mechanic, or something that would make your game stand out from the crowd.

The game does appear to be amazingly polished, even if it is a beta.

jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »

@Massena: Thanks. It´s just an early BETA right now. The basic game machanism was coded first, and then I coded in the levels, enemies and so on. Most recently I coded the menus and other "booring" stuff. What I have left is to polish the gameplay mechanism and make the game stand out more. But I have some ideas for that. And then make all the crazy levels. So don´t worry.

/jija
deathtotheweird
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 03:56:51 PM »

Don't take his comments the wrong way. They weren't meant as a personal attack or anything, which you seemed to take it as.

While your game does look interesting, it just blends in with many of the games mentioned here already. In fact your character and gameplay and world look way similar to a game called Quietus (http://www.kongregate.com/games/TimeBlog/quietus).

Some of the greatest hyper difficult type games usually have a game focused around a gimmick. VVVVVV with it's gravity switching, Meat Boy with sliding and walljumping. Give Up Robot with it's grappling hook, Time Fkuc with it's dimension shifting, Enough Plumbers with it's clone system, etc.

And none of those gimmicks are even original, they are just done in fun and effective ways. Just something to think about. I'd still play your game though. It does look fun, even if it doesn't exactly stand out.
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 10:01:42 PM »

Sorry if I offended anyone with my "angry" first comment. To my deffense I had a ruff day at work yesterday, and was not in a mood for anything "negative" about my game. I see more clearly now so...

@allen: I know that I don´t show anything focused aroung a "gimmick" in the video. I don´t have any outstanding features at the moment, but it will come! As I said before, it´s an early BETA. The main character is also just a testsprite at the moment. I´ve got more comment about him before... and he will be gone to the next gameplay video...

I learned a lesson: Don´t post any gameplay, in EARLY BETA... If you are not ready to take critisism... hahaha.

Now it´s time to do some coding!  Ninja

/jija
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:30:11 PM »

I learned a lesson: Don´t post any gameplay, in EARLY BETA... If you are not ready to take critisism... hahaha.

The real lessons here, though they might not be entirely comfortable ones (or from experience easy ones to learn) are:

1) Work on whatever makes your game special first, polish can wait until you have something *conceptually* exciting.
2) Don't expect people to get excited about something that doesn't contain anything exciting (yet).

Looks like you do have some nice tech down, now you just need to do something with it! Smiley

jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 12:01:19 PM »

New gameplay video. I´m playing with the physics. It will bee some twist in the game with these "effects". (And oooohhh!!! Jolly good, is it a worm?)   Grin

Watch here...

/jija
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »

Looks challenging  Screamy
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:10:59 PM »

Looks challenging  Screamy

Yes, it will be. I hope so.  Shocked

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »

I have created a video blog for my indie game studio. I will be talking/showing my games there in video blog posts. Sorry for my "Swenglish" in the first video... Hope you enjoy it.

http://pennybridgeindiegamestudio.blogspot.com/

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:51:28 AM »

The offical trailer for The Deep Cave is finished. It can be seen at:

Have a nice day to you all!

/jija
Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 02:46:08 AM »

It seems very similar to VVVVVV (idk how many v's there are in the name) with the death count and also each levels having their own name, or maybe it just influenced by it? idk  Epileptic

But either way, the game does look very polished and the art is nice!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:57:50 AM by Swattkidd » Logged
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 03:08:42 AM »

Thank you!

Yeah of course it is influenced by VVVVVV. But this game has it´s own unique touch. It is just the flip-levels that reminds on VVVVVV.

/jija
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 07:13:38 AM »

You have 2 typos/oddities I noticed in your trailer.

You lack the apostrophe in "Let's" and one of the levels shown seems to be mistakenly titled "15".
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 12:00:56 PM »

You have 2 typos/oddities I noticed in your trailer.

You lack the apostrophe in "Let's" and one of the levels shown seems to be mistakenly titled "15".

Yeah, I see that now... hehe. Maybee I correct those "errors" by the end of the week. Thanks again for notice them.

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 12:25:58 PM »

Hi again. I have not been here for a while (in my own thread). But it is exciting times for me, because I´m doing the final touches on the game. I´m hoping to finishing the game very soon. I think it´s only a couple of weeks away.

You can watch a teaser sneak peak preview of me playing the game here:

Read/see my blog here:
http://pennybridgeindiegamestudio.blogspot.com/

/jija
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic