Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:30:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Deep Cave [RELEASED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Deep Cave [RELEASED]  (Read 6570 times)
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »

I have two problems with your trailer.
The first is in the graphics style. I don't hate it per se, but it's very overused these days, especially with the release of Flixel. Essentially, I'm saying that your game has the quality of a flash game, and it'll be overlooked quickly on the XBLA.
The second is that it has too much text describing what'll happen, and not enough actual gameplay. A basic rule of thumb for trailers is to keep the text to a minimum, and show off as much of your project as you want to.
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 03:11:02 AM »

The first is in the graphics style. I don't hate it per se, but it's very overused these days, especially with the release of Flixel. Essentially, I'm saying that your game has the quality of a flash game, and it'll be overlooked quickly on the XBLA.
Ok, that is your opinion and I hope you are wrong about that the game will be overlooked quickly. The game has a retro style, and maybe that is overused these days. BUT that is what I like in games, and I hope people out there likes that too.

The second is that it has too much text describing what'll happen, and not enough actual gameplay. A basic rule of thumb for trailers is to keep the text to a minimum, and show off as much of your project as you want to.
Yeah, you are right about this one. I will have to do a new trailer soon. But I will fix the final stuff in the game first.

Less text, more gameplay!

/jija
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 08:11:41 AM »

There's nothing wrong with a retro style, as long as there's enough movement. The flying insects look like they're moving without actually moving; they slide in circles or from side to side, but actual sprite movement is minuscule. This does not look good.
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 05:40:02 AM »

There's nothing wrong with a retro style, as long as there's enough movement. The flying insects look like they're moving without actually moving; they slide in circles or from side to side, but actual sprite movement is minuscule. This does not look good.

Sorry, but I do not agree at all here. I don´t know if it is the trailer or... But the sprites are indeed animated and they have movement. I think you will get another experience when you play it.  Grin

/jija
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 11:10:43 AM »

Hey man

I just took a look at your video on YouTube. Here are some thoughts that went through my mind when I was watching it:

Seeing the title screen got me excited because the color scheme was pleasant and it had a nice retro look and feel.

But when you got into the game, it was a different story. The lighting effect was pretty cool but the colors did seem to clash. Not sure if it's currently placeholder art or what. But it definitely needs to be changed if you are trying to sell this on Xbox.

The swirling flies also feel a bit artificial. Can't really tell if they are animated, but definitely does not feel like flies but rather like sprite art being moved along a circle.

Obviously, your game was heavily inspired by VVVVVV. But it definitely lacks the polish that VVVVVV has. If you notice in VVVVVV, it definitely has really simple pixel art, but its mechanics felt much more fluid and environment much more alive and believable.

Anyhow, I think this game has the potential to be really cool if you put alot of effort into polishing it up.

jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 11:33:16 AM »

Hey man

I just took a look at your video on YouTube. Here are some thoughts that went through my mind when I was watching it:

Seeing the title screen got me excited because the color scheme was pleasant and it had a nice retro look and feel.

But when you got into the game, it was a different story. The lighting effect was pretty cool but the colors did seem to clash. Not sure if it's currently placeholder art or what. But it definitely needs to be changed if you are trying to sell this on Xbox.

The swirling flies also feel a bit artificial. Can't really tell if they are animated, but definitely does not feel like flies but rather like sprite art being moved along a circle.

Obviously, your game was heavily inspired by VVVVVV. But it definitely lacks the polish that VVVVVV has. If you notice in VVVVVV, it definitely has really simple pixel art, but its mechanics felt much more fluid and environment much more alive and believable.

Anyhow, I think this game has the potential to be really cool if you put alot of effort into polishing it up.

Hi. Thank you for watching. I don´t know what video you saw.

I will polish the art more yes. I think I will have to put up a video of the new version of the game soon. Maybe put some screenshots up here?

/jija
jijaweb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 11:33:16 AM »

The game is now released on Xbox Live Indie. Get it here: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Deep-Cave/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585506f7

Thank you for all help and constructive criticism! It has been very helpful.

/jija
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic