Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 09:46:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLaika
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Laika  (Read 2535 times)
Ratchet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:32:58 AM »

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend - this is not my game.

Laika
A ridiculously difficult shooter by Ben "Battery" Davis. It's not complete yet, but the first level is available for play.

The download links are in the post I've linked to above; there's a .exe and a .app. Ben's tested it in wine and it works fine, and says he'll do a Linux version at some point.

For the boss, watch which parts flash, then shoot them until they turn red. So far only Ben has managed to beat it, that I know of - losing only 2 lives on his best run. I got up to the last stage on the boss after playing it solidly for an hour, with an Xbox controller - I haven't managed anything close with keyboard.

Feedback is welcome, but may not be taken into account =D

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:57:57 AM »

I look at this later, but it looks like you've hit the wrong section. There's 'feedback' for finished or semi-finished games.

Renton
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:33:42 AM »

Is this a finished game?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »

It's not complete yet, but the first level is available for play.

Also, it looks like he is going to use this thread as a devlog, so I don't see why this would be the wrong place.
alspal
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:34:35 AM »

Would be nice to play it in fullscreen.
The screen was too shakey.
The perspective was annoying.
The hit box is too big.
Seems fairly polished, I don't mind the style.
The upscaled pixel font doesn't fit with the clean simple line style.
Ratchet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 08:59:43 AM »

Yeah, this is a devlog, I'll update when there's news and new downloads to play.

Would be nice to play it in fullscreen.
The screen was too shakey.
The perspective was annoying.
The hit box is too big.
Seems fairly polished, I don't mind the style.
The upscaled pixel font doesn't fit with the clean simple line style.

1) Stretch the window for now, but I'll pass that along. I think he had trouble with fullscreen in Windows though.
2) Is like that on purpose, matter of taste I guess. I think it make it feel more engaging.
3) The screen movement wouldn't work so well if it started top-down.
4) IIRC, the hitbox is 1:1 with the ship.
5) Good!
6) It's supposed to feel like it's inside the oldschool cabinet, I think. Another matter of taste, I think.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »

4) IIRC, the hitbox is 1:1 with the ship.

In a shmup, when a hitbox matches the size of the player ship, it is too big. Wizard

• I like the overall style, simple and minimalist, neat particle effects.
  • I found it really hard to dodge the triangle ships that shoot, there wasn't enough spacing to really be able to line up a shot to destroy them without getting killed myself, and their flight path converges in the middle so you'll generally end up dying anyways. Maybe I just suck Tongue
  • The constant camera motion made it really hard to feel any sense of precision of control, because my frame of reference was constantly shifting. It felt a bit hard on the eyes, putting it on a large screen would probably give me a little bit of motion sickness.

Hope this helps.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »

I like the visuals, but I'm not really finding the play engaging yet. It doesn't feel tangible enough- I'd like it more if there were some sense of motion, and if both firing and hitting things felt more physical.

On the other hand, it does seem like a good demo of your technical skill. I hope it helps land you a job! I don't have a good feel for how the game will end up once it's a bit more complete. I'd be curious to play it again once it's further along.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic