Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411918 Posts in 69431 Topics- by 58479 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 11, 2024, 05:10:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Google, Android, and the Future of Games on the Web
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Google, Android, and the Future of Games on the Web  (Read 4086 times)
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:29:27 AM »

So, it seems that the Unity guys and Google are working together so that Unity games and apps can run on Chrome without the need to download the Unity plugin client side, using a technology called Native Client.

"In a nutshell, Native Client is a security sandbox currently in Chromium that allows the secure execution of native code."
"If we really cut to the chase for why this matters for Unity, it’s because what we’re showing is Unity running in Chrome with no plugin at all.  That’s right, there’s no Unity Web Player installed on the machines running Unity content in Chrome.  Rather, with Google’s clever technology, we’re running Unity content in Chrome using just default access and no additional installation or user interaction. It’s kind of wild!"

Also:
"Even cooler still is the fact that all this new technology from Google is open source, so it can readily be adopted by other browsers if they want to.  We think they should."

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2010/05/19/google-android-and-the-future-of-games-on-the-web/

So, it could do away with one of the biggest barriers to Unity browser games acceptance, which is the plugin-in download requirement.

This could be huge, right? I mean, Unity and Google working together.  Kiss

I also recommend you give the comments thread under the article a peek, for bonus especulation.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:48:37 AM »

I don't think Unity and Google are working together, it's just that the Unity guys are making use of Google's Native Client platform. It's open source, so everyone can write software for it. EDIT Uhhh so that link says something about a "collaboration", but there's no info about what exactly they're doing... I wonder what that refers to...

About NaCl itself, I'm still on the fence, it does sound cool for gaming, but possible security holes (and you know there are always security holes) could be disastrous... Also depends on how widespread it will be.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:56:43 AM »

Yeah, it doesn't look like they're working together any more than a game developer using Game Maker is working with YoYoGames.

I really dislike the proprietary nature of Unity, but perhaps if they release a Linux port...

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »

Considering the growing share in the browser market chrome has, and my recent start of a prototype on unity, I'm very happy with this.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »

If we take this in conjunction with the announcement of Google TV, it means that very soon it will be possible to develop GoogleTV-compliant games using Unity.

I'm thinking that Google might actually have a presence at E3 this year.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

Yeah, it doesn't look like they're working together any more than a game developer using Game Maker is working with YoYoGames.

I really dislike the proprietary nature of Unity, but perhaps if they release a Linux port...

Quote from: Unity blog
I want to take a moment to say how fantastic it’s been to collaborate with Google.  For a giant company famously populated with geniuses, the people we’ve worked with have been incredibly humble, open, and responsive. No doubt about it, this is a sharp, ambitious, and capable crew and they want to do good things for game developers.
Given how much of a pain it can be to set up NaCl and how beta it is (I still haven't gotten Chrome's built-in plugin working under Linux completely), I imagine Google approached Unity a while back and asked them to hack something up for Google I/O.

I'm not a huge fan of the Unity creation tool only running on OS X and Windows, either. On the plus side, NaCl means we'll be able to run Unity powered games on Linux.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:46:18 PM »

NaCl is basically perfect for Unity. Good for them for getting in on it on day one. Still, I doubt that they got a special prerelase from google.
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of the Unity creation tool only running on OS X and Windows, either.

Sorry, only Mac OSX and Windows??

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »

Google recently abandoned their O3D platform in favor of WebGL ( HTML5 Canvas 3D ) .. which means all major browser vendors ( apart from Microsoft ) are now on-board ( Apple, Google, Mozilla, Opera ).
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of the Unity creation tool only running on OS X and Windows, either.

Sorry, only Mac OSX and Windows??
Yes, only OS X and Windows. Things shouldn't be considered suitably cross-platform unless they support at least the desktop trifecta.

Google recently abandoned their O3D platform in favor of WebGL ( HTML5 Canvas 3D ) .. which means all major browser vendors ( apart from Microsoft ) are now on-board ( Apple, Google, Mozilla, Opera ).
WebGL has nothing to do with NaCl or Unity being ported to it (plus Google has always supported WebGL, it just happened to support O3D as well).

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 04:04:54 PM »

I'm sorry for Linux users, but I don't that Linux is a mandatory platform to claim that your product is cross-platform. Anyway, maybe it's because there's practically no games on Linux (so virtually no players). But then again, maybe it's because there's no good tools to make games? It's a loop.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »

It is important that people who play my games can do it on a completely open and free platform. This is coming from a guy who doesn't even regularly use Linux. Not everyone wants to have their computers totally at the whim of a corporation, and I admire that.

I suppose that this is more idealism than business sense. But on the business side of the matter, it is generally not difficult to make a Linux port of something when there already is an OS X and Windows port. I feel that the time spent making a Linux port is usually worth the 5% extra market, even when disregarding the idealism.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 04:30:31 PM »

Am I missing something here?

If Unity games work in Chrome with NaCl, then won't they work in Linux? There is a [beta] Linux version of Chrome now.

Or are we just talking editor?
If that's the case, then I don't see a huge deal in it. Linux has huge driver issues at the moment, so I can see why most companies choose not to invest their higher-end applications into it. 

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »

I initially thought that Ciro was talking about not bothering porting games to Linux and I replied with that in mind, but after re-reading his post I realized that this is not the case. My bad.

(And the Linux version of Chrome got out of beta today. Smiley)

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 05:12:50 PM »

No harm done.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Also, has anyone noticed NaCl is the molecule for table salt?(sodium chloride)
Just saying. I wonder if the abbreviation was coincidence, or if Google has some strange inside joke based on it. Who knows?

I honestly don't think Google has plans to take over the world. Only Papa Psyduck is justified in thinking that.  Durr...?
What's obvious is that Google wants the web to be the sole method of computer use-- That's why they're supporting Unity. If you think about it, Unity is a powerful game engine that already supported the web. One big thing missing on the web is robust games powered natively. Google sponsored Unity to port it to NaCl to make web games that much more accessible. Voila.

Hint hint, Unity also has an iPhone version with touch screen capabilities. If Google is making a web tablet, I have a feeling that was only one more reason why they adopted Unity.

It all comes together.  Shrug
Personally, I'm all for this movement. The web is a great platform that most easily supplies a cross-platform experience. With NaCl, you lose a lot of the perfo-drops that're common in web applications.
If the web keeps evolving like this, then I see no reason not to justify a Google Chrome tablet/netbook.

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »

Am I missing something here?

If Unity games work in Chrome with NaCl, then won't they work in Linux? There is a [beta] Linux version of Chrome now.

Or are we just talking editor?
If that's the case, then I don't see a huge deal in it. Linux has huge driver issues at the moment, so I can see why most companies choose not to invest their higher-end applications into it.  
There are a few major driver issues here and there, but they're rapidly becoming less and less of an issue. At this point if a piece of hardware doesn't work properly, it's generally because the manufacturer has turned down offers from the open source community to write drivers for free and the community is reverse engineering it. Or because the proprietary drivers are crap. (Or both! WTF)

But yeah, there are plenty of reasons why the Unity folk would be hesitant to invest resources in a editor port to Linux. Likewise, I've got plenty of reasons to avoid using game creation tools that won't run on my primary operating system. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:37:13 AM by JamesGecko » Logged
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 02:08:34 AM »

@Jakman:
I don't think the NaCl reference is a coincidence... we're talking about Google!!

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »

Considering that NaCl is a chemical compound and that Chromium is an element (24Cr) it's not really that obtuse of a reference to chemistry.

Anyway, what does this have to do with android?

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »

salty
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »

Considering that NaCl is a chemical compound and that Chromium is an element (24Cr) it's not really that obtuse of a reference to chemistry.

Anyway, what does this have to do with android?

Because in the to be released Unity 3.0 they plan to add support for Android platforms (in addition to Playstation 3 and the iPad).

From EDGE Magazine

The company said that it will expand its list of supported platforms – Web, PC, Mac, Wii and iPhone - to include Android, iPad and PS3, claiming that its engine offers “the broadest support on the market”. Xbox 360 support was also announced late last year.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/unity-30-adds-ps3-android-and-ipad-support

It might be wise to jump on the Unity bandwagon. The future looks bright.

And if the Chrome browser pluginless support pans out Linux users might have their wish finally granted.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic