Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:44:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGenesis Engine and Kiwi 64
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Genesis Engine and Kiwi 64  (Read 2272 times)
gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »

Hi - I couldn't find an intro section in these forums so I will give a quick one here before I dive into my project details, given this is my first post.  My name is Gavan Woolery.  I have been following TIGSource for several years, but remained mostly in the shadows  Ninja.

Both Genesis and Kiwi 64 are community projects, because both are community driven. There is any number of ways you can contribute to either, contact me if interested.

I created the Genesis Engine.  Video and pics here, and more images here. Lastly, the old forums are here. Genesis was my stab at making a dynamic MMORPG, i.e. one where players can modify the terrain, build buildings/castles, reproduce, die permanently, etc.  It was covered worldwide on many of the top gaming blogs in every country in the world.  I was pretty naive, and the project quickly turned into vaporware when I had to get a full time job.  I paid my dues to the real world, worked for a startup company (Goowy Media Inc.) which was acquired by AOL / Time Warner (now just AOL).  Now I am back in full effect, and I have rebooted the engine.  I am making a generic, nonprofit platform, called Kiwi 64, sort of like Alec's Monocle, except it targets only Windows/Mac OS/Linux, and the newest generation of hardware (DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.0). This might seem a bit extreme, but I am thinking on a timeline 2 years out.  Anyway, I hope to be releasing pics and videos of the updated engine soon.  Kiwi 64 will be the new core of the Genesis engine. Follow me on twitter if you are interested  Blink
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:05:22 PM by gavanw » Logged

MartinStatic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:49:14 AM »

Wow...just wow.
Graphically, it looks stunning.
How does the user created environments work with the online aspect?

Extremely interested and impressed, how many people worked on this engine, surely not you alone?
Great work, keep it up.
- Martin
gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:32:58 AM »

Actually, as far as the engine programming goes, I was the only one who worked on it, and my brother Alex helped create some of the textures.  However, after releasing the initial screenshots (pictured) several members of the community joined in to submit concept art, ideas, server resources, etc. :D

MartinStatic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »

Wow, that's actually pretty amazing, kudos to you!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 02:32:09 PM »

I assume you mean you've been following solely the front page, because there are several visible threads with rules around here, and you've broken some of them.

What community do you talk about that contributed to your project?

Either way, here is the rules thread:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=155.0

And the Project forum rules thread, stickied and in big letters right up there on the page:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1883.0

I'll be moving this to Announcements for now. There needs to be actual interest from other member of this community for a thread to be placed here.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
gavanw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:37:51 PM »

My bad - rookie mistake.  Yes I have only been following the front page, for the most part.  I was not really sure where I should post -- I figured if this was not the right spot somebody would move it to the right place.  As for the community, you can see some of the members here: http://www.genesisbbs.com/index.php -- many of whom are also members of the TIGSource community.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic