Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:01:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGHardcore computer simulator (withdrawn but downloadable)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hardcore computer simulator (withdrawn but downloadable)  (Read 8955 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »

See this post for download details. The game is not finished.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:44:27 AM by haowan » Logged

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »

Shocked win

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:50:58 PM »

Hmm...I can imagine where this is going...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 03:41:05 PM »

DUMPING VRAM
PLEASE WAIT...
COMPLETE.

Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 04:16:24 PM »

The geek shall inherit the earth  Cool

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 07:12:28 PM »

bring
it
on
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »

DUMPING VRAM
PLEASE WAIT...
COMPLETE.

Matthew Longworth
Level 0

This will require EFFORT

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:49:59 AM »

Oh my.  Is that... simulated heatflow?  Journaling filesystem? Embarrassed  I think I'm in love.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »

I don't exactly know what is going on, but I know it will be awesome!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »

Sim City - Motherboard edition?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 03:43:32 PM »

That is computer pr0n. Shocked Kiss Embarrassed
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 04:14:28 PM »

Color me intrigued.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 04:52:09 PM »

Hey! I'm on the leaderboard! And I'm in second place!

Take THAT, Mr. Trianglehead!

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 04:42:45 AM »

I don't think I'll be able to finish this in time, and I've lost the will to continue with it anyway, so I'm going to withdraw. If anyone would like to play what's there (there isn't any gameplay; the main draw is playing with the fluid dynamics), I can upload a build + source.

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 04:56:16 AM »

I'd like to play what you got done. Shame you won't get it finished. Cry
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 06:24:28 PM »

I was really expecting this one... Sad

Haowan, what discouraged you?

Daniel.
Ludomancy
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 01:42:28 AM »

Things that went wrong:
  • No clear design
    The game started out, conceptually, as an RTS where you placed computer components on a grid in order to generate "bits" which would travel along the copper tracking (i don't know what it's called) of the circuitboard, which you would lay down. Then it turned into a clone of Outpost Kaloki, and then a kind of cross between that and Sim City. The simulated heat flow led to a lot of confusion over how the game worked (and whetehr the fluids could be made fun).
  • Mixed goals
    Not having a clear design led to different aims throughout the project, which led to development of a few systems that didn't need to be developed. I was also keen to capitalise on the "hardcore" of the name, if not in the game design, then both in the visual feel of the game and in as much of the code as possible. It wasn't possible to add much actual depth in the design in time, as it would have required too much balance. There's probably too much in there as it is.
    Anyway this led to the fluids thing, which took days to get in because it's really annoyingly complicated code. I had fun trying to crack the problem yet again (I've tried several times before) and it turned out that the only way I could get it done was basically copy-pasting the code from someone's java implementation.
  • Time
    A combination of lack of management and a three day holiday in Paris led to my interest waning in the face of a tough deadline, and then I started reasoning that if I wasn't interested in the project then I'd never make it good anyway and it was too much like hard work and we do these things for the love of it right? So I basically stopped working on it on the 17th or thereabouts.

That's about it. I wouldn't have had time to do any decent art either, which sucks, and had decided early on that the game would basically not have sound. Overall it was a bit of a washout. Sorry to disappoint anyone who was looking forward to the game.

I've uploaded the build, with source and research papers, over here. Instructions for use below (and included in the archive). You'll need to install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 if you haven't already.

Hardcore Computer Simulator

--Explanation--
The game is a cross between simple tycoon games like Outpost Kaloki and complex grid-based simulations like Sim City. The idea was that you place components on the circtuitboard, they work together to provide computing power to Users, and when in use, they generate heat which needs to be removed from the case or the parts overheat.

--Playing the game--
There is no way to get money back currently, so you'll have to place what you want and then watch the simulation run. Place parts by clicking the symbols at the bottom of the screen (a popup will tell you what you are buying). You need to click twice as the first click brings up a new menu. Place them wherever you like. The striped areas are vents. You'll need to buy at least one of each process to see Users' processes running, but it doesn't matter anyway as there's no result from doing this yet.

Click the icons on the right to show various windows (the comp window is for editing components, so if you change this and save them, you'll fix your changes forever). The console window does nothing. The status window show what's up with your money and how many resources are left. The users window shows who's connected and what processes they're running (they're all trying to run games at the moment). The component window appears when you click a component you placed on the grid.

Click the heat button a few times to increase the opacity of an overlay showing the simulated heat flow in the computer case. This is the best bit really. Place fans (change the fan direction by clicking on th efan and adjusting the slider in the component window) to direct air flow around the case. If air is coming into the case, the area near the vent is cleared of heat, so you need to set fans so that air comes in through one of the vents and out through the other. Experiment with what works best.

That's it, enjoy!

--To do--
If I were to finish this game, I'd need to put in Users using different processes; time limits on levels; getting money back from users who were successfully running processes; possibly component destruction from overheating (they already stop functioning); some better graphics; some level design (possibly with obstructions in the circuitboard when you start); a use for the logs I downloaded; more component types; possibly a more coherent way for components to interact (at the moment the only thing resulting from actually placing the components is their heat flow which isn't supposed to matter in the early game); a ton of other stuff I thought of.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:51:03 AM by haowan » Logged

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 01:46:11 AM »

i got a 404 man, I want to check it out damnit Smiley

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW