Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 05:48:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSimple (and experimental) Board Game: Omni
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Simple (and experimental) Board Game: Omni  (Read 1641 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »

Yay, Board Games!

I have created/am creating a quick and tiny little deterministic (I hope and believe this is the correct term) board game in which two players can move any piece on the board when their turn comes.

Wall (Grey Square)
Moves orthogonally.
Cannot interact or be destroyed in any way.

King (Blue/Red Circle)
Moves orthogonally.
If the King of your colour dies, you lose the game. This is the only way a player can lose the game.
Attacks by moving onto the piece it wishes to capture.

Knight (Blue/Red Triangle)
Moves forward, or diagonally forward.
Cannot be killed from the front except by another Knight.

Monster (Green X)
Moves orthogonally.

Assassin (Small Black Square)
Moves diagonally only.
Cannot be killed.
Cannot kill any piece except for either King.
If the Assassin is ever adjacent to either King, that King is killed and its controlling player loses immediately.

Basic Rules
When your turn comes, you choose any piece (including pieces that are wholly your opponent's colour: this may or may not be altered in the future) to move.

If no movement is possible, you have done something wrong.

If your opponent moved a piece from location A to location B on his or her last turn, then you are allowed to make any move aside from moving that same piece from location B back to location A.

If your King dies or is adjacent to the Assassin at any time, you lose immediately. There are no exceptions.

~

So, those rules in place, I've played this game a number of times against both myself and a couple friends of mine. It'd be cool to get some feedback if anyone's willing to give it a try, or just give some general feedback on the concept :D

I'm still working on starting board setup and rule balance.

edit ---> I forgot the original board setup, so this one might be sub-optimal and not work out really well.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:33:07 AM by Droqen » Logged

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »

I would rephrase to "aside from the piece last moved by the other player." Regardless of which direction you move it in. Otherwise, you can reach a stalemate where the piece in question is simply moved around, back and forth or in zigzags.

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:36:33 AM »

How do non-assassin pieces kill?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:32:07 AM »

baconman: Perhaps, but I don't want to be so limiting. Maybe I should consider the Go rule of "the board game isn't allowed to be in the exact same position twice". If you're left totally unable to move the piece the last player moved... well, things could end badly! Might be interesting, though. I'll test it out a bit.

Kikaru:
Kings, Monsters, and Knights all kill by moving onto another piece (such as in Chess).
Sorry if that wasn't clear :]

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »

That game looks amazing in its simplicity. I'll try it as soon as I can!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic