Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:05:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGEmo Harvest On The Oregon Trail
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Emo Harvest On The Oregon Trail  (Read 15239 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »

Ok this is it, my second game idea...

YOU are Death, downhill skiing with a big scythe, clefting emo in twain.  They've gathered on the slopes of the Rockies for a suicide pact and it's time to come and collect as they shuffle off their mortal coils to the sounds of Funeral Diner.

Decapitation!  Cleaving about the middle!  Arm severance!  All with a bloody great scythe.

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »

I dunno.  Usually people correlate covered wagons, typhoid, cholera and the Donner Party with the Oregon Trail, not downhill skiing.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »

It didn't snow on the Oregon Trail?

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »

I dunno.  Usually people correlate covered wagons, typhoid, cholera and the Donner Party with the Oregon Trail, not downhill skiing.

This game is historically accurate.  Lewis and Clark encountered numerous emo kids in the Rockies, just standing around in the snow waiting to die.  I believe they traded beaver pelts with them.

tweet tweet @j_younger
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 04:39:02 PM »

There you go then, that explains it!  During a heavy bout of dysentery, Lewis and Clark called upon Death to make a deal.  In exchange for not reaping their typhoid-addled souls, they were to offer up the souls of 1000 teenagers.

And so they lead Death to the top of a mountain where a group of suicidal emos were waiting (who they'd seen while trading baever pelts).  The harvest began. 

It's a little known chapter of their epic adventure.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:45:49 PM by superflat » Logged

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 06:25:41 PM »

Truly history is better than any story!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Cray
Level 0

can't upload an avatar :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 06:56:26 AM »

Love the idea Smiley

Happy to see it isn't a really emo version of those old games like I thought it'd be when I saw the name

▓█▓ rpg maker vx
▓█▓ cemetery manager
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:24:59 AM »

Thanks, it's progressing very fast, got the level editor up and running. 

Hopefully first real screenies by the end of the day, if I don't keep browsing TIGsource!  Tongue

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »

So here's the first in-game shot... very basic but you can also see the slope detection in action.  You'll hold DOWN to kneel and speed up, then you can jump from this stance.  If you press FIRE without holding DOWN or while in the air you'll swipe your scythe.  There are 5 layers of parallax scrolling set up but you can't see that yet.

There are hidden pathways with more emos to reap.  Maybe going to put switches in that open some up (it's in my framework anyway).

Next up is to add emos!

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »

I also was thinking about zooming out to 50% (it's built in to the engine) so it's in true 640x480 instead of 320x240 scaled x2 as it is now.  That's so I can play in fullscreen - my screen won't go down to 320.  I'm worried that with the speed of skiing, you'll need to see more of the playfield.  Any thoughts?

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »

I'm worried that with the speed of skiing, you'll need to see more of the playfield.  Any thoughts?

Hard to say without something to test out.  Your sprite might be big enough to look okay at 640x480, but then you'll lose that cool, chunky old-school look. 

And it looks like you have the character pretty much centered horizontally, you could try moving it back towards the left of the screen more to give the player more time to react.

tweet tweet @j_younger
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 04:01:09 PM »

Yeah I've shifted him over quite a lot, relative to his speed.  I've tested it out in 640 and it's running at Sonic-like speed... which is great in 640, but it does lose the chunkiness.  I could slow it down and go smaller...  Hmmm.

Zaphos
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 05:28:40 PM »

Yeah I've shifted him over quite a lot, relative to his speed.  I've tested it out in 640 and it's running at Sonic-like speed... which is great in 640, but it does lose the chunkiness.  I could slow it down and go smaller...  Hmmm.
You could try zooming out as the player goes faster, ala pegasus, so you get to show off your nice chunky pixels some of the time but also always show the player enough of what's coming up ...
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 06:35:51 PM »

Well I decided I couldn't live without lo-res.

I've tweaked the speeds a lot and it's beginning to feel like a game!

I'm gonna get onto the animation and emos next.

Here's how it's looking...

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »

Here's some Death sprites!

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 11:27:41 PM »

Death has three lives? Can death die in this game?
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »

Here's a little intro I've been working on, hopefully to help explain the ludicrous plot...

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 08:06:04 PM »

Oh and the engine's coming along really nicely (emos, blood - check), will hopefully post a vid in a day or two. Also decided to make it time rather than lives based.  Is there a good, free piece of vidcap software for OSX?

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »

So here's my first video - although it's already a day or two out of date.  You can see the basic idea, although you'll have to imagine having score + time etc, as well as a few less blood particles (jerks a little sometimes).  You'll have to jump over rocks and pits, avoid the odd monster and you'll be able to find different routes by jumping onto different slopes.

I'm thinking of just having one huge level, instead of several smaller ones.

Rolf_Soldaat
Level 0

Fast as lightning.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 11:41:07 AM »

He seems to be using the wrong side of his scythe Huh?.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic