Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:11:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGEmo Harvest On The Oregon Trail
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Emo Harvest On The Oregon Trail  (Read 15238 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »

edit: I think I do know what you mean.  Hmmm.  Might have to fix that!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 02:12:17 PM by superflat » Logged

can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 04:33:26 PM »

Hello, I like your game.

But, it need more ludicrous speed.

Thank you.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 05:40:24 PM »

Ah thanks man, so nice to have positive comments!

Actually I think the Youtube video's running a little slow, was my first go at using vidcap software...

Also there will be speed boosts I think!

Gnarf
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »

He seems to be using the wrong side of his scythe Huh?.
I'd like to add that clubbing people to death with a scythe is probably as cool as using its blade. Although quite possibly not as cool as impaling people with the other end of the scythe.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »

Any suggestions for moves are more than welcome!  There'll definitely be a double-jump kind of spin, and maybe an air-to-ground overhead chop for quick landing.  I think falling too far might hurt you too.

I'm still toying with the system... do I go with lives or time.  There'll be multiple paths down the mountain.   Maybe I'll do a score based on time+emos.  Any thoughts?

I'm considering powerups too... Boomerang scythe or something?  Definitely speedups but they could be Wiepout-like boosts.  Still trying to decide if I'll include monsters, or simply put rocks and spike traps which make give you a time penalty.

Also you can't see in the video but you can duck and you get less friction so you can power down the hill - could be nice to get a score system where you have to balance your speed with your amount of kills.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »

Here's the latest video... It includes:

- Two new emo types

- Better blood + gibs!

- Animated emos (hard to see on youtube).

- Time + emo counters.

- Fixed scythe (thanks Rolf!)

Hope to have demo up in a day or two.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a party-pooper, I think there are too many emos.  There should be clearly defined sections of emos, and clearly defined sections for skiing.  As it is now, you spend all your time skiing and slicing at the same time, which seems to slow down the gameplay and appears to get a little monotonous. 

Don't get me wrong, there could be a large groups of emos here and there along a speed run for some good hack-and-slash fun, but I think a few strategically placed emos that require good timing to decapitate at high-speed would be more beneficial to gameplay.  By changing up the placement along the course you could balance the game between speed and slashing.  Right now it just seems unbalanced.

tweet tweet @j_younger
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »

This is just an engine test, and my plan is to have it exactly as you describe.  The map will be completely re-done, I just wanted to show the mechanics really.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 04:33:13 PM »

Ah, I see.  In that case it's looking pretty sweet so far Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »

Thanks man!   I'm just working out the gameplay in my head before I design the map around it.  I always like to see what things are like with the most extreme amounts of gore / particles when I test out to help me optimise the code and make sure there's no memory leaks.

Anywa, I know how I'm gonna proceed now, so it's just 11 days of hammering it out.  (Although it doesn't help that I'm flying to Tokyo on Sun then off to Okinawa the next day... I'll wanna be on the beach haha!)

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »

Well I'm finally making some good progress.  It almost feels like a game now, but definitely needs more of a feeling of danger, and perhaps more fluid controls. 

- I've limited the amount of emos on the new video so you can get an idea of the game as it will be.

- I've spent a lot more time on the blood.  Too much time.

- I have played around with the physics a lot. 

- Now you can only go forward!

- I've added combos and move names.

Still to do:

- finish tiles (trees, spikes, parallax background layers, rock/earth tiles)
- redo map
- Death's wipeout (when you hit a rock or fall too far -> time penalty)
- special emos

- intro / titles / highscore

maybe:

- monsters?
- air moves?
- bonii? (things to collect when you jump - speed boosts, points?)

Enjoy the vid!

http://www.youtube.com/v/vK-941czbEY

[edit: Just realised there's a problem with the start of the video, but it fixes itself after a while...]

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 02:23:04 PM »

how about a backwards slash for the emos he misses? Or like a giant windmill move so he can hit front and back.

awesome btw Smiley

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »

Grin  Thanks! It's quite nerve-wracking posting on here because the standard's so high.

What you can't really see from the video is it does actually run quite smooth and the blood is quite fluid and squishy, the limbs all have their own arteries which spurt to the rhythm of their little heartbeats!

I love the windmill idea and am working on it now - maybe backwards+punch (or backwards, forwards+punch to make it less easy to abuse).  You'll be able to also cancel into it from the regular chop.  Also thinking of doing a dragon punch cos I'd like to have some emos sitting on clouds...

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 03:16:47 PM »

Looking good Smiley

Your idea for air moves seems like a very good one, if you've got time - right now the game looks in danger of being a little repetitive. Something to mix it up would cure that quickly enough, though Smiley

Actually, I've just thought - Mausland have a similarish browser game which might be worth a look at for you: Aggressive Alpine Skiing.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 06:00:27 PM »

@Terry

Yeah, I'm still kinda stuck on the whole air moves part, maybe it should be a forward roll with the scythe finishing downwards as you slice to the ground.

Anyway, cos you can't see them in the video, here are the new emos for your pixel pleasure!

skrew
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »

Though it would probably be a lot of work i rekon it would be cool if the emos started to squeal and run away if you decapitated one of their emo buddies near them. it would also make the game harder, hitting moviing objects
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 08:46:17 AM »

Hi there Skrew,

I think that's a great idea, although you're right - it could take a while.  It's on the to-do list, but first I want to get obstacles you can jump and alternative routes (figured out how I'm gonna do that now - wooden platforms you can jump onto between mountains.)

Here's what I've done:

- Better controls / feel / physics
- Parallax scrolling + new tiles!

Anyway here's a pic:

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »

demo want

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »

She's a comin', she's a comin'.

I hope I can get it done on time: hopefully a demo should be up in two days if I can squeeze it in around travel to Japan and work there.

I've just added platforms that take you on different routes and jumps to get up to them, so when I have that and a score page when you get to the bottom I'll put it up.

Working so so hard on it, but starting to feel the pressure of time.

Any feedback on the colour scheme above would be handy too, I'm just not sure what colours to do the three backround layers, partly cos of Death's mid-grey-ish attire.  Artists?  Huh?

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 02:34:53 PM »

You could saturate them just a tiny bit more to get some more separation between the background and Death.  Don't overdo it though or you'll lose the hazy, faraway look.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic