Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411429 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:41:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGEmo Harvest On The Oregon Trail
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Emo Harvest On The Oregon Trail  (Read 15281 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »

Ah interesting.  I took a different approach, tried moving the hue to blend with the sky a bit more (also the purpley version hid his skiis a bit too much.)

I will try saturating it a bit more and see what happens.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »

Hey everyone it's time for a new video... this one's quite different!

You can see:

- the use of switches to change your path (still a little slow at the moment, might have to do a Mario-style reveal)
- better handling
- new tiles.
- parallax scrolling

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 12:28:57 PM by superflat » Logged

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »

It's looking pretty sharp already!

My only gripe would be that the pause when hitting switches seems to break up the flow of the game a bit.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »

Thanks, I think I've figured out why - it regenerates all the platforms (but seems to do it for each appearing block, when it only needs to be done once after they've all switched...)  Platform scanning takes a while, hence you can see longer walkways taking longer to appear.

In other words, should be able to fix it!   Grin

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 02:43:53 AM »

Well, I just arrived in Japan...  Got a few bugs ironed out like the one mentioned above, and added a new move (jumping air swipe!), and I hope to have a demo available in the next couple of days if I'm not too busy drinking sake!  Smiley

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2008, 09:19:51 AM »

Very coool!  :D Perhaps it's an idea to add non-emos that will give you penalty points and emo-bosses or famous emos that will give bonus points?

"Fun is rule."
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2008, 01:01:46 PM »

Very coool!  :D Perhaps it's an idea to add non-emos that will give you penalty points and emo-bosses or famous emos that will give bonus points?

What like Chris Carrabba, Elliot Smith or Emo Phillips?

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »

Yeah that's a great idea about non-emos...  Didn't think of that!  I had this idea that emos give you time bonuses, so it all becomes a race against time, non-emos would give you penalties.

I'll definitely be putting in secret emos - was thinking they could be really big like boss-characters - maybe the're skiiing too and you have to chase em down the mountain!

Are there any famous emos? I could put in the singer from My Chemical Romance haha.  Actually maybe the secret emos are My Chemical Romance, all the members!

Anyway, off to Okinawa for a gig tonight, but hope to get a complete-ish version done while I'm there.  Sadly I think it will be far from finished, but there will be something to play, and I can assure you the sheer satisfaction of emo-slaughter firsthand will not disappoint!

[edit: typo]

Order of play:

1. finish map
2. score screen
3. secret emos
4. demo

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 06:57:37 AM »

There probably aren't many famous emos, or are there? I don't know, but I thought of singers as well. Also don't forget people like Chris Crocker (you know, the hysterical emo-fan of Britney)..  :D

"Fun is rule."
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 06:59:46 AM »

Well, other then Emo Phillips, the other two are pretty prominent Old school Emo. So yeah.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 12:40:16 PM »

There are no famous emos because THEY DON'T WANT YOUR ATTENTION, MAN. *sob*

But seriously though, this looks fun. When I read the title, though, I thought it would be something like this:

But really, any game with gratiuous violence against emos is fine by me. :D

(jk)

(...maybe)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:43:02 PM by Stij » Logged
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »

It's funny, I was thinking Chris Crocker might go in there... now he will!  Perhaps him and the members of My Chemical Romance.

Unfortunately I have been waylaid having a nice time here in Okinawa, and I'm starting to think I won't get it done on time.  Hmmm.  It would be a shame to fall at the last hurdle though, cos it's reached a nice playable state,

Re: Oregon Trail game - I encountered it in my 'research', as I took the title knowing nothing about the Oregon Trail - the name had me at  'Emo Harvest', and I had to find  a ludicrously weak connection with the Oregon Trail (see intro image a page or two back).  Anyway I'm pretty sure that the compo's not focussed on realism, haha!

Anyway, it's been fun, and I will still post it on here, just maybe a week late or so.  If nothing else, it's helped me develop a new framework I can use for future projects.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2008, 12:59:03 PM »

As long as you don't put in any original emo people (ie people I actually like) I'll be ok.  IE don't put in Sunny Day Real Estate or any of the older hardcore punk emo people
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic