Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:07:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDynastorm - Gameboy Styled Shmup
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dynastorm - Gameboy Styled Shmup  (Read 4674 times)
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »

A few weeks ago, I began working on a little sideproject shoot em up. it is currently in version 0.14, and features the complete first level and the 2. level till the, at this point, non existant boss.

It does not deliver anything realy unique, but that's not what I am striving for - I just want to create a fun and entertaining shoot em up experience. 6 levels are planed, along with some challanges and a boss rush mode. you can download the current version here

I will keep this thread updated as I progress :3

maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »

Great work! Like you say it's pretty standard shmup, but I like shmups and this one feels really smooth and looks nice.

Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »

thanks for the feedback, realy appreciate it Smiley

I've been working on the music for stage 3, which is a alien themed bio cave of sorts -
I currently have 2 songs that could go with that level. Tell me which one you like more.
here's a mockup to go along with the music:

variant 1
variant 2
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:16:33 PM »

this is looking pretty cool.

It's hard to pick between the songs though. they are both awesome @_@

maybe i like Neobiocaves better

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »

Phwoar, Squirrelsquid's back. Packing some heavy new content, too.

Hey, it's pretty neat so far, looks bloody great, naturally. Feels solid, sounds solid, plays smoothly. I don't know if it's my kind of shmup, though. To much bullet hell. Relentless dodging and all that.

I'll still play the finished product. 'Cause it's already fun. Also, looks like a Gameboy Game. How wonderful.

Cheers, ya?
Beer!

Oh, also: go for Variant 2. Sounds a little more sinister. Love Bio Caves (doesn't everyone?).
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:35:25 PM »

thanks guys! :3 glad you like it!

I'm working on the 2. level boss sprite atm - it's gona be huge :O

ofcourse he'll gona get 2 smaller railpods on the sides ;3
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »

You know what would be neat? Accompany the boss with more a easily-destructible railpod, and a less-easily-destructable one, have all 3 move up and down the screen and mix them up on each pass (resurrecting the other railpods, but not restoring the bosses' life between them). Smiley

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »

Smooth work buddy, this game's really shaping up! As you already know, I love shmups, and this one is pretty much insane; lots of action going on here. At first, I felt that it might be a bit too hard, but after playing some more, you start to figure out ways of getting by the points you get stuck on the first time through. Keep up the good work! Kiss

mewtype
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 04:27:10 AM »

Kiss Hand Joystick  Greeat works so far, it just woke me up anyways. Good lvl of difficulty ..i like(hate) those electro homing attacks.

oh and defos track 2 the first track is too uplifting for a biocave/
Kevin
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 08:09:42 AM »

I'm bad at shmups. I die all the time, and I get confused by all the bullets on screen, and I never know what power ups do. This does not affect my enjoyment of shmups.

I love love love the way this looks. Everything is super clean and readable and detailed and pretty. I can't comment too much on the gameplay given my relative lack of shmup experience. I can say that it was difficult, but didn't seem unfair. I died a lot but made progress each time, so I like to think that even I eventually could have beaten it with practice. movement is smooth and responsive and weapons cover a fair range of the screen, so that's nice.

On the downside, the control configuration isn't my favourite. I've gotten rather used to the Z/X setup and kind of grown attached to it. That aside, for whatever reason (could be my laptop keyboard) Shift/Ctrl seemed a bit awkward. Not unusable, but just a bit less than comfortable. My wrists got a bit sore after only a few minutes play.

Anyway, nice work! Fun and quick and light and pretty.
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »

I likeit! Which program did you use for the music? (go for var2)

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:01:20 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback guys! :3

i made a new third version of the biocave music - I like the other 2 tracks, but it just doesn't seem organic enough so, I made THIS

@Kevin:
I will not switch the default keys for the following reason:
German keyboards have z and y keys switched, so, z/x is pretty much ruled out ( I keep telling that to other devs: z and x with no way to switch are very annoying on a german keyboard... However, you can reconfigure your keys by clicking the options bar above ;3
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 05:46:19 AM »

What about X and C like Action 52?

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 06:15:40 AM »

What about X and C like Action 52?

That'd be an option~
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 03:15:37 PM »

This is smooth, I really like the style and pace of the game so far.
Great work Smiley
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »

thanks, glad you had fun with it :3
There hasn't been a lot of progress on this project for some time now, and the update ain't realy new, but I guess it's worth showing anyway :3 a more recent WIP of the 2. Boss:
alspal
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 03:02:43 AM »

Looks really nice. The screen is a bit small though, are you going to let it go fullscreen?
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 05:17:55 PM »

Sweet pixels!
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 04:21:06 AM »

UPDATE!
As I want to bring more replayability, I thought: Why not include different ships? and Why not different cute anime styled characters? INCLUDING a very nonsensical Story of Schoolgirls, involved in Deep Space Combat! OH MY!~ The Goodness~

anyhow - I've just implemented the 3 new playerships into the Game. The standard barriage shot is still the same, but the 'special' weapon you gain for collection 6 or more 'P's is different for each Ship.
At the moment there is no Ship/character select screen, but you can select a ship in the main menu by pressing 1 through 4 on the keyboard. ( characters not yet implemented )

Number 1 is the already known AAF-01 'Shuriken' - good for all situations.

Number 2 is the AAF-02 'Vector' - Simmilar to the Shuriken, though it covers a bit less ground, deals more damage, though.

Number 3 is the AAF-03 'Sweeper' - it's shots cover the most ground for any of the ships, though your front arc is not as buffed as with the Vector or Shuriken.

Number 4 is the AAF-04 'Harkon' - The Harkon is the ultimate damagedealer - it doesn't shoot as many projectiles as the others, but it got the ' RAPE Cannon™ ' ( Raster Augumented Particle Emission Cannon )

and there are rumors that the AAF-X0 will conduct it's testflight, sometime... it's codename is 'Doomsday'

Keep in mind that the new weapons are currently only implemented in Level 1 - I will add level 2 and some missing graphics ( like the warpout sprite) in the next version.

I also changed the controls from 'ctrl' and 'shift' to 'x' and 'c' - alternativly, you can select another control layout in the window menu.

I also prettyfied the Background of level 1 a bit, by adding some ruins -

anyways, long story short - here is the link!

I also made some new music for the project - for Level 5, a spaceplatform that actualy is a giant levelsized boss. have a listen here!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic