Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:41:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGROM CHECK FAIL (source code released)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: ROM CHECK FAIL (source code released)  (Read 107415 times)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2008, 04:39:57 PM »

I think I might get lynched for saying this, but... I didn't like it. It's a great idea and I applaud the inventiveness, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Judging by the responses so far though I don't think you'll be needing my vote anyway. Good stuff.

Zaphos
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2008, 05:39:28 PM »

I think I might get lynched for saying this, but... I didn't like it. It's a great idea and I applaud the inventiveness, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Judging by the responses so far though I don't think you'll be needing my vote anyway. Good stuff.
Could you elaborate more on what specifically turned you off about it?  (I'm just curious; I like reading constructive criticism about games.)
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »

Could you elaborate more on what specifically turned you off about it?  (I'm just curious; I like reading constructive criticism about games.)
2nded. Constructive criticism is a wonderful thing! I'd love to hear what turned you off the game.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2008, 08:22:18 PM »

Just one question, how did you get the name ROM CHECK FAIL from the VGNG?

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »

Just one question, how did you get the name ROM CHECK FAIL from the VGNG?

It's a rare name that will pop up when the VGNG glitches from an overload of awesomeness. Wink

"Fun is rule."
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2008, 06:03:20 PM »

2nded. Constructive criticism is a wonderful thing! I'd love to hear what turned you off the game.
Sorry. Suppose I should have elaborated a bit more. There's definitely nothing wrong with the game. The hundreds of positive replies are testament to that. My tastes just lie in a different direction. For me I found the constant changes in game mechanics more of an annoyance than a challenge. I found myself constantly having to reassess my tactics and techniques without ever getting the feeling I was going to be allowed to master them. Maybe if I were given a lot more time with each combination early on in the game I'd be less inclined to feel frustrated at the quicker changes later on. TBH though I just think I'm not your target audience. I am however a big supporter of those that try something new and different so you get encomium from me just for that.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »

Cool, thanks man!

I intentionally tried to balance RCF so that the player felt like they were fighting for control, but I can totally see how that could be frustrating. I don't think I'll change it since I think it's a case where improving the experience for some would damage it for others, & produce a more mediocre game for everyone.

Constructive criticism earns you one of these though:
 Kiss
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2008, 07:05:10 AM »

Just thinking about what Oddball has said: it might be cool if at first the game plays relatively straightforwardly. Then, after a good minute or so, the first "change" occurs, changing just one element (player's control method, for example). After this, the changes gradually become more and more frequent until they get to the speed they're at now. Would need more levels to make this work effectively though.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2008, 09:30:02 PM »

ROM CHECK FAIL in the Onion AV Club today!  Coooooool!

http://www.avclub.com/content/games/rom_check_fail

@doomlaser, mark johns
Corpus
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2008, 08:54:31 AM »

The comments on that article just melted my brain.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2008, 11:01:01 AM »

ARTICLE: FAIL
 by alexei kavestoriripoff
I like how you can do a whole review about this game and not once cite your source, i.e the author's website or even just a place to dl the game or the VGNG website or the TIGsource contest website.
This is totally retarded.

I'm digging that name. :D

olücæbelel
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2008, 04:13:35 PM »

Perhaps a TIGS regular? Roll Eyes

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
gnawingonfoot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »

I'd love to check this game out but for some reason I get a really weird display bug or error of some sort (and this also happens for PCFM).  Basically the whole screen goes black, and I get part of the game's upper right corner in my monitor's lower left corner, and the upper left corner in the lower right corner.  I tried to screenshot it, but it just came out as showing the properly-sized game window (http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=notworkzd1.png).  Is there something else that I'm missing and need to install?  Is there a way I could give you more info on what might have caused this?  I'd love to check the game out, and this not working stuff is making me sad.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »

That's extremely weird. What res are you running your desktop at? Do you have a weird native screen res? Have you tried both windowed and fullscreen (alt-enter to toggle)? Can you run other games that use the popcap framework?
gnawingonfoot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2008, 04:59:16 PM »

That's extremely weird. What res are you running your desktop at? Do you have a weird native screen res? Have you tried both windowed and fullscreen (alt-enter to toggle)? Can you run other games that use the popcap framework?

My desktop resolution is 1440 x 900, which a little bit funky, but not too unusual.  But fortunately the Alt+Enter fullscreen thing worked just fine.  Switching back to windowed mode made it look wonky again.  As for other Popcap framework games, I don't believe I have played any, but I'll gladly test something out for you if you'll point me towards one. 

And now that I've had a chance to play the game, I'd just like to echo the praise everyone has been giving you for the past fourteen pages of this thread.  It was bizarre, surreal fun.  And I loved the ending screens, too.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »

So we all know ROM CHECK FAIL has made some game blog headlines already.  But when I saw this in my RSS reader I figured I had to post it here.

You don’t need to be a videogame fan or being a teenager in the seventies / eighties to know videogame classics like Space Invaders, Pacman or Tetris. Their iconic power is still intact in the public imagination, also thanks to many reinterpretations and updates. Their patterns are often used by game artists as metaphors to create new connected sense...

...the most radical experiment in this tradition is probably Rom Check Fail, a sort of psychedelic remix of a dozen classic arcades. Graphic, enemies, scenes and their respective dynamics are randomly remixed by a software gone crazy. Every game is a frantic zapping among unpredictable situations but oddly playable. Remix culture, contaminated the video and now invades videogames. With astonishing achievements.

from Neural, a new media art magazine / blog based in Italy (thus the slightly broken English).  This also got picked up by another new media blog, Networked Performance.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »

Art.
 Grin
snerdo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »

This game is pretty terrific. Terrific like I played it until I beat it three times, terrific. Even if the name didn't come out of the VGNG.

Though I did get a name from the VGNG that describes ROM CHECK FAIL perfectly:

Manic Theme Park All-Stars

which was a pretty funny coincidence I think
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »

Very impressive work Farb.  There is genius and madness in equal measure.  Wink
Cheers,
--Zack
Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2008, 01:32:48 AM »

Appearantly, the mainstream(ish) media agrees in this case! (at least over here in Krautistan)

(click image for full version - you need to download it and rotate it by 90° to the left because of Photobucket's weird restrictions on size, and sorry for the crappy quality)

This is an article from the german gaming magazine "Retro" (#08, issue of summer 2008). For those among us who don't speak that language: The article is called "The art of talking about games". Basically, it states the game is "probably the first playable artistic view on videogames", then describes the gameplay in short and points out that "it does something hardly any remakes of 8-bit-classics have achieved in the last years: every last pixel oozes the spirit of the original, and yet it is something completly new". It closes with two very nice sentences:

"Thus, we can come to a wholly new point of view regarding many pleasant memories and many old classic can be interpreted in a wholly new way, which is exactly what great art should be achieving. And because that is really awesome [sic], we put "Rom Check Fail!" on the magazine's CD."

And they are right. The game is really goddamn fun. Congratulations and kudos to you - despite being mainstream media, they even recognised the game as "indie".  Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic