Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:50:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Learn cartooning with John K (creator of Ren & Stimpy)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Learn cartooning with John K (creator of Ren & Stimpy)  (Read 2525 times)
lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »

if anyone lives in LA, the creator of Ren and Stimpy is offering cartooning lessons http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/05/going-to-get-cartooning-class-together.html

I'm not teaching animation in the first 6 weeks- just good cartoon drawing and some functional posing

no flash

pencils

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:21:43 PM »

Oh man, that'd be something. His blog is both informative and scary. He's so devoted to the old school, and he really seems to hate modern cartooning trends.

Then again, you see his examples and really have to agree. He's good.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »

i wish i lived in LA right now. his blog is great, even if he seems to denounce a lot of new stuff for the sake of being new, and he is crazy good at what he does.

Lo
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:28:20 AM »

Does john K had a plan to make a trip to caraibean?

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:00:05 PM »

My questions is this: What is that duck biting?
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »

Oh man, that'd be something. His blog is both informative and scary. He's so devoted to the old school, and he really seems to hate modern cartooning trends.

There used to be so much to learn and so many small tricks, now it's all just one big editor and you can't make mistakes because they can me removed.

Is tweening still a real job in tooning? I remember I read a story about a cartoonist who would do a foot walking in on  the left side of the frame and a foot walking out on the right side of the frame and then have his tweener do the rest, must have been awesome being a cartoonist.

It's so sad that Disney closed their hand-drawn division, they really did do quality stuff.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »

My questions is this: What is that duck biting?
Clearly some unfortunate fellow's buttocks.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 02:00:29 AM »

Man, he's incredibly talented, but he's fueled entirely by rage, pride, and bitterness.
 Coffee

hi
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 06:52:01 AM »

Man, he's incredibly talented, but he's fueled entirely by rage, pride, and bitterness.
 Coffee
so he's the art world version of the crow or scorpion?
jay
Level 0

Spray it, don't say it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 08:25:15 AM »

Bah, wish I had the cash free for that. I don't agree with all of John K's postings, but I always enjoy dropping by his blog. It's like a mental reboot for me, helps me approach my stuff in ways I wouldn't have thought of. And it's always interesting to read an obviously talented, smart guy railing against the status quo, whatever the genre.

Curses then Beg

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 07:29:15 AM »

I like some of his ramblings, but most of the time he blatanly ignores anything of quality that comes out just because it is not old school and therefore it must suck just as much as the examples he picks to make his point.

jpgray
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »

I think he's too focused on a particular ideal, and thereby becomes too snobbish to recognize valuable work that falls outside of that ideal.  It's not even old school vs. new school, but specific old schools vs. all other old schools.  For example, while he does an excellent job detailing the excellence of Clampett's work with WB, his enduring hostility to the concurrent Disney approach is all out of proportion to its actual value, the enormous skill that went into it, etc.

It's nice in a way to have someone with very definite and zealous ideas about features of the craft, like acting (Kirk Douglas as thespian genius?), but his exclusive attitude gives a biased and incomplete picture in my view, and those who ape his views out of a perfectly justified admiration for his work lose a little perspective in doing so.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 10:30:05 AM »

The fact that someone like rad sechrist posted "Man, this is really cool!" in the comments makes me really wish i could go. Love that chap's work.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic