Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:05:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInfinite Blank [multiplayer world drawing / exploration] - Going to SOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Blank [multiplayer world drawing / exploration] - Going to SOWN!  (Read 25286 times)
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »

I think you need a way for the server to restart itself, also i lost my lil widard cave  Concerned and i accidently saved a blank page ofer teh newest one (i had an older version withiut a space in the name) because i thought i clicked load for a second.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »

Maverick-

0.2 will have jumpthrough platforms, and I'm personally going to go through and convert some existing platforms into them.  Hopefully their makers should be okay with that.  Great work on Wispy Woods.  Tongue  And I've seen all three of your avatars.

Draw-chat should take care of the name thing, I hope.

Natis-

Keep up the good work!  Now I know you by your artist's signature.  I'll go have a look at robosquid.

Landshark-

I'm really sorry.  I feel quite bad when people lose their work, and I noticed immediately when your cave was lost.  Sad

Status report

I now have the means to detect and fix the really bad server (and client) crash bug.  I'm working on it and will have the server fixed by tomorrow sometime.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2010, 08:41:20 PM »

aww i think im gonna have to remake my cell, when i load it it doesn't look like it fits anymore, i think the cell i had before it broke or something... hmmm never mind i got an idea

EDIT: OH GOD DAMN IT i was just trying to put it in the wrong place, everything should be fine

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »

Landshark:  Nice redraw!

Status update

I think I've got the memory bug nipped!  :D

There was another crash but I think it was caused by memory corruption in a client.  We'll see if it continues to be a problem...

EDIT: Yeah, no, it was a problem all right.  Superbug out of left field.  I've had the server down for the last four hours.  Done with my catnap and debugging now.  Still sleepy.

EDIT 2: Okay, superbug defeated.  +200 EXP.  +400 SLEEPINESS.  I'm gonna go catch some pointy letters.

Note, though; this -> server is finally stable -> no more lost widard caves.  Grin

EDIT:  Feedback thread over here now.
I'll continue to use this topic to announce developments in development though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:49:54 PM by Cellulose Man » Logged

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2010, 02:30:38 AM »

All right.  I've been a very unproductive developer for the last week and a half, for reasons split between laziness and other obligations (which also succumbed to aforesaid laziness.)  I've been playing Crawl...

I'm going to do what I did before to keep myself actively working on this: be transparent.  It put a lot of very beneficial pressure on me before, and I *really* need to get 0.2.0 out soon, as I want to start a kickstarter for the project.

At some point soon, I'll be moving the game to a new server on which it will run for the next few months.  There'll be a small amount of downtime.

[/rant]

0.2.0 planned for release by the end of the week.  Hopefully sooner.

Major features:

- [0%] Fancier menu, maybe interface tweaks

- [30%] Traditional brush and eraser tools for drawing.

- [0%] Climbing hook

- [0%] Jumpthrough platforms

- [0%] 'Paint Chat' between players.

- [??%] Better server / fewer disconnects / greater stability

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2010, 06:38:58 AM »

Keep up the good work, sir.   Gentleman

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »

So, Infinite Blank (and me with it) was selected as part of Sense of Wonder Night in Tokyo, a showcase for "new types of games" or some such.  I'm getting back to work on it, this time genuinely.

I've got two weeks.  Sometime in those two weeks I plan to have 0.2.0 out, the server back up, and a brand-new world running.  That restart is necessary because the mechanics of navigating the world, as well as the types of art tools available, are going to change.  In addition the game will be using much more efficient graphics.  The old world and all its wonderful art will be quite accessible, but no longer editable.

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2010, 07:15:35 PM »

Awesome!  Congrats!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »

Sweet. Can we have some kind of moderation now? As in deleting really terrible cells? Because the last world degenerated pretty badly.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2010, 01:05:43 PM »

Congrats on the invite! :D Hand Thumbs Up Right

And I know what you mean. I've been playingplaytesting a lot of stuff here, too. Also, being offline and in process of moving, that hasn't helped much either. I'm glad to see you're still at it though, and I can't wait to see what world develops from this. Let us know when the conference is over, so we can explore what they've done.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2010, 05:02:50 PM »

Actually, my hope is that I'll have stuff done in time for you guys to build some things before conference-time.  But, time will tell.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »

Woot!  I got my CSG system working and have implemented "flattening" and a vector paintbrush!

(This might not sound like much, but it took a measure of doing!)

Needless to say, this was sorely needed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:43:20 PM by Cellulose Man » Logged

Outcast Orange
Level 0

Orange as a turtle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »

This is one of my favorite projects.

Will that be available for us to use soon?

My dead blog: http://outcastorange.blogspot.com/<br /><br />Current Project: Huh?
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »

Thanks!

It'll be relaunched within the week, if all goes well.

I'm putting a forum together too, primarily for bug reports and feedback but also for users to discuss drawing collaborations or show off their work.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2010, 11:00:41 PM »

Righty-o.  So, I've designed a sexy new painter for Infinite Blank, and this weekend (particularly tomorrow) is going to be a coding gauntlet.  When my time starts to run low, I'll be re-releasing the game with whatever new things I've completed.

I've had a few personal friends who enjoy Blank pestering me to get the server back up.  I apologize to anyone here similarly bummed out by the month or so of downtime.

Anyway, wish me luck--I leave for Japan in about 80 hours.  (Why does my coder mojo always peak when there's painfully little time to finish things?)

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »

Okie doke.  So, since last night I've been hurriedly programming a new drawing tool for the game, Infinite Blank Painter.  That'd be a screenshot below.

Right now only the paintbrush tool is available.  No saving or undo/redo, either.  That stuff, layers, and more tools (including the pen from Figure Editor) are in the works.

If anyone could give me feedback on the feel of it right now, that would be awesome.  [WIP here], windows build only. (and if you'd like to compare to the old draw tool, hit F8 in the program)

The little color pots are brush size, RGB channels, HSV, and a (for now) random palette.  With everything but the palette, you can click and hold to get in-between colors or sizes.  With the palette, you can right-click to store a color in the slot.  I was very excited about the in-betweeny thing, but I'm not sure it's as awesome as it was in my head.

For fun, hold space in the editor to appreciate the vector-ness of everything (which is why it was such a pain to get a paintbrush to work) -- careful though; if you draw a line with space held, everything else will get erased...

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2010, 03:13:27 PM »

Paining is good. The colour chooser feels really good too.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »

Seems alright, I guess the paint brush feels a bit too... I dunno... jerky? Might just be me but it would feel better if it was more smooth. Other than that can't wait for the servers to come back online, haven't played in awhile and re-exploring what everyone has drawn is always cool.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2010, 03:21:39 PM »

The "jerkiness" was one thing I wasn't sure about.  I'll tone it down.  And naturally I'll have a cursor that indicates both brush color and size.  I just tried to actually draw something and that turned out to be a huge pain.

EDIT: @Keyzer Just identified, toyed with and pinpointed a bug that made the "left" side of drawn lines go wonky (so a clockwise circle would have an unsmoothed edge, for instance) -- this may be what you were talking about; fixing it now.

EDIT 2: The temporary change I made to my paintbrush code while doing that had rather interesting results.  Have a look:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:03:24 PM by Cellulose Man » Logged

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »

Haha that looks awesome, although the uses of a "Glitchy arrow brush" would admittedly be limited.

And about the left side stuff that's totally what was bothering me, once that's fixed this'll feel great.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic