Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:43:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: I Wanna Be The Stage
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: I Wanna Be The Stage  (Read 22403 times)
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 08:43:30 PM »

The top platform should be jump-through, so it can't be the spike platform.

You could have the spikes pop out when it's about to fall.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »

I prefer the cloud moving up and down. The spike platform could lift people up, but it would not be as convenient as the cloud. Also I hoped we could incorporate moving platforms in some way, because there are tons of them in IWBTG, and the cloud does this better.

Also it couldn't lift people off screen, but thats not that major.
Zelonod the evil pudding
Level 0

I'm tasty evil pudding

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 03:50:39 AM »

maby 5 seconds?

I like pudding.
Apoz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 06:07:11 AM »

The stage looks pretty good for now, but there's just one thing that bugs me : how are we going to do the music ? I think the game's soundtrack is composed only of copyrighted musics from old 8-bit games...
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »

the cloud and spikes are lookin good but i don't like the new ground tiles. they're too new for being iwbtg style. when i saw the firts draw it reminded me IWBTG instanly but the new one....
how are we going to do the music ? I think the game's soundtrack is composed only of copyrighted musics from old 8-bit games...
maybe the firts stage theme or a remix of that one.

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »

Are they cherries or apples? I wanna know so I can draw them.

BTW, I got dibs on drawing the Kid and the portrait of the stage.

Edit: As for the new tiles, I think that it's great, just the wrong colors. The old one had colors that reminded me of the game. Plus, it needs some diagonal lines too.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »

cherries. and why are you asking if you can draw the kid and other stuff? just do it Smiley
As for the new tiles, I think that it's great, just the wrong colors. The old one had colors that reminded me of the game.
i think the same way. i can change the colors and the other platforms to look well too.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »

"done". i still don't like the grass and the platforms look crappy but i think it's better than my last edit ^^U

increpare
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 12:45:53 PM »

I like how the requirement is that the cloud floats softly.  This looks reasonably neat (though the spikes look a little chunky?)
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »

The thing is, compared to mokesmoe's mockup, the ground/grass and platforms are actually way, way less saturated than what they are in IWBTG proper. I tried to go for a happy medium -- colors that are a little more true to the game without actually going that far and looking like ass.

Increpare, I tried to make the spikes larger than normal to kind of illustrate that relative to a character, say, The Kid, they're actually supposed to be taller. Though if I went that far it wouldn't've worked out anyway.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 02:35:50 PM »

you don't have to make them that taller. the kid is actually pretty small and i think he's going to be even tinier than lyle  Screamy .
(though the spikes look a little chunky?)
did nothing about it so yeah, they are.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 03:10:42 PM »

The spikes are completely over-sized in game, and this shows that.

Goodbye:
Most people consider them apples, however, a quote from Kayin says "They're more like giant cherries". Really they are a completely different type of fruit made up for the game called Delicious Fruit.
From TVtropes: (because I couldn't find the original)
"People eat Delicious Fruit. According to Kayin, they have to get them out of trees with sticks, in order to keep from getting gibbed, and then they have to boil them three times to remove all the poison."
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »

Spike tips come out of ground/ceiling for a second or two maybe before jutting out quickly and staying for about 5 seconds, then retracting. This happens randomly on either side, one side at a time.

Cherry/Apple/Delicious Fruit falls randomly every once in a while ala Death Worm, independently from the spikes but in correspondence to the lightning bolts on the other side. I.E.: neither the two spike sets nor the tree/lightning bolts can occur with each other -- it's one or the other. But a spike set can occur at the same time as either the tree or the bolts.

When I say the cloud floats "softly", I mean that it should float slowly and gradually slow to a stop at its lowest and highest points.

Blue squigglies on the bottom are either clouds or water, though I can't remember the instances of water in the game itself. Green in background is just a big old forest, with maybe The Guy's castle in the B/G? Blue on top are clouds.

falsion
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 07:42:01 PM »

Those spikes are too round. They don't look pointy or threatening enough. They don't invoke the same kind of fear in me as the pointy triangular ones in IWBTG.

I mean, just look at these things. There's something very unsettling about seeing perfectly triangular shaped spikes of death. You just know that they are going to mess you up bad.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:54:22 PM by falsion » Logged
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »

Heh, I'll fix that up in a second.
falsion
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 08:04:01 PM »

Also I'm aware that previous post was overly long winded but people must fear the spike.

Just the spike alone should strike fear into anyone who sees it. Anyone who plays this stage should have nightmares for weeks.

It's not IWBTG otherwise.
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »

The outline one the spikes is not quite black.

Rolling spikes:

The wheels should be a darker grey, forgot to change it.

A warning would appear on one side, then spikes would pop out of only the bottom. The rolling spikes would rotate up out of the ground (with dirt particles flying) and pause for a second before rolling across the screen and falling off. (Or just rolling in midair off the side of the screen. That's what it did in-game, but falling would look better in Indie Brawl's more realistic style)

EDIT:
Only water in the game. The area above where you start has clouds on both the top and the bottom, so that would work fine.

One layer of the background should be a grassy and perfectly flat with trees, with the kids village on the left and the castle on the right.
(From the credits sequence)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:25:47 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »

awesome but i still don't liking the floor colour. use the same of the platforms for god sake Sad

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »

Since I now have a LOT more spare time as of today, I'm going to work on those sprites I promised. Expect to see them soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic