Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:46:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAn abandoned metroidvania-style game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: An abandoned metroidvania-style game  (Read 4959 times)
DarkFalzX
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »

Just thought I'll share this. I have posted on youtube a short video of the first boss fight from a game I was working on back in 2004... Sure, it's really rough around the edges, but thought someone might like it nevertheless.

Screens:

Ohh, and BTW - the project isn't completely dead-dead, but is being completely reworked from scratch, pretty much... and for DS as well as PC.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »

Sweet pixellings. Should look ace on DS. Good luck Smiley

Zaphos
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »

Ohh, and BTW - the project isn't completely dead-dead, but is being completely reworked from scratch, pretty much... and for DS as well as PC.
What kind of feedback are you looking for, then?
DarkFalzX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »

What kind of feedback are you looking for, then?
You are right, it's kinda hard to write constructive feedback from a short video, but general critique is welcome. As I mentioned - I am revamping the whole project, so if there is something that particularly looks like a bad idea - tell me.
Sorry - I meant no offense.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:48:55 PM by Derek » Logged
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »

Sure, it's really rough around the edges, but thought someone might like it nevertheless.

If this is "really rough around the edges" then I'm feeling rather inadequate right now.

Sad

tweet tweet @j_younger
ninjascience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »

I've seen your newer version stuff on pixeljoint.  Great stuff!  Do you have gameplay stuff you can post from that version?  I feel silly giving C+C on the old version when you already have a much improved version in the works.
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:30:33 PM »

I'd like her to move a little faster judging from the video. And keep her saying things like "ass" and "hell". Thank you.
DarkFalzX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »

I'd like her to move a little faster judging from the video. And keep her saying things like "ass" and "hell". Thank you.

I am currently working on the whole speed issue, as I do acknowledge that the player moves dog-slow with no way to sprint, dash or dive out of the way. While in this version Iya only walks, I have experimented with various ways of acceleration and walk/run transitions, and decided that it is best not to have them at all, as they add en extra layer of "annoying" to the controls. In the new one - it's running all the way: )

About the whole "hell" and "ass" thing - are you being sarcastic, or do you really mean to say that you enjoyed Iya's tendency to be a little (ok, sometimes a lot) foulmouthed and informal? I'm not saying that profanity should be the norm in games, but I'm kinda growing sick of most games being so very over-dramatic - people, especially 14-year-olds just don't talk like that: )
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 10:24:41 PM »

Nah, I really liked how cute and innocent she looks and then what she says.  Grin
Zaphos
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 11:38:45 PM »

*actually watches the linked video*

... wait, why did you link that one?  Your

looks way different.  Why ask for feedback on something that you've changed so much since? Huh?

The newer version has really slick animation.  I think it might have *too many* frames though -- especially when the character turns around, it looks like it will make her feel a bit unresponsive gameplay-wise.
Also, if you're messing up your own wall jump, you should make it more forgiving!  Wink
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 05:02:03 AM »

The newer video looks friggin awsome. I can't believe how great the combat-system looks.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 05:27:40 AM »

I remember seeing screenshots and animations of this somewhere a while back. Maybe on deviantart or pixeljoint. Please don't let it die!

I watched both videos, they both look like they'd be great games. I think I'd prefer the later version, it looks less rigid than the earlier one and for some reason it reminds me of Jazz Jackrabbit. Wall jump looks like it could be improved upon.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »

I also preferred the

version. It has so much more to it: many attacks (including combos), more ways to control the character, and better animations. The strides of Iya's running, however, seem a bit slow and laborious, but suddenly turning in the opposite direction makes the Iya slide a bit (during which she counter steps more than twice as fast). The sliding might be more fitting if it looked like she was running faster. Maybe shorter strides that are faster than 4 per second might do the trick. As it is, it looks like she's taking her longest stride possible for her while somehow running at the same time. Otherwise, everything else is a great improvement over the the original.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 03:06:36 PM »

The new one looks like a well-lubed ragdoll. Looks awesome at first, but I also see how that other person said it might affect responsiveness in the gameplay.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 03:14:04 PM »

The new one looks awesome. I love the slow animations, they really give some weight to the action. Great job! You are a great animator IMO.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic