Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:29:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)cool examples of Subpixel /anti-alias pixel art work
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: cool examples of Subpixel /anti-alias pixel art work  (Read 3168 times)
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »

Post the coolest examples of sub-pixel and anti-aliasing work in pixel art.
Remember this is just for education purposes, try to mention the author of any works.

SMB QuestionWhat are sub-pixels?

Using 'steps' of colors between two colors of pixels in pixel art to improve your approximation of a shape and to reduce the stair-stepping/aliasing inherent in pixels. Thus, you are going into a level that is below a one-pixel level.
You do not have to use the RGB channels in your pixels ( on LCD monitors) to go into a sub-pixel level,
(which most people don't.) any way of approximating anything below the standard pixel level counts.
Anti-aliasing and sub-pixeling; pretty much the same thing.

Picture from Neota at pixeljoint,
demonstrating some anti-aliasing to help approximate a circle's shape:

As you can see, the more 'levels' of A-A you use the less of an effect it has on improving resolution per pixel. Diminishing returns. I would think 2-3 different colors for AAing a color is enough, but if you do really high resolution pixel art you'll need more.

Also, sometimes AA is not needed and you can use the stair-stepping aliasing of pixels esthetically, especially if your work is too damn small to do anything else to it. (some cave story PC version sprites/tiles, like Quote's sprite.)  Cave Story
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:39:38 PM by Draco9898 » Logged

Toucantastic.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:43:36 PM »

I like to think that I'm pretty good at anti-aliasing in pixel art, if nothing else.

I'm in a project to make a mod for OpenTTD... I anti-alias the graphics:

And I draw this and that myself every now and then...:

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:51:35 PM »

saw a sweet sub-pixel font the other day: http://typophile.com/node/61920

desdinova
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »

That OpenTTD art is cool.  Love that game!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic