Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:37:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGFantastic Blood Boy #COMPLETED#
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Fantastic Blood Boy #COMPLETED#  (Read 53457 times)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 04:38:26 PM »

Well, you know, that text below my avatar is there for a reason Wink

Now for some minor feedback:
First off, the game is awesomely balanced and still possible to go further no matter how hectic it gets, super awesome job there. The graphics are also coolio.
But, on the critical side: Bombs suck until you get the whole floor covered in puppets, though that might be balanced from how awesome they are once that happens.
Also, the clots seem to get kind of trapped on the left side of the level, hugging the wall for several 'jumps'.
Not sure if they'd actually make the game better, but you could easily add some new power-ups. Hell, even if you're just modifying existing ones.
Yellow-glowey puppets should blow up even if they don't explode your clot.
Lastly, you have instilled a newfound hatred for ghosts in me Cry
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:48:52 PM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 04:52:13 PM »

This is awesome. I haven't managed to break 30k Cry

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 06:27:32 PM »

409130 Cry
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »

320,000-ish is my highscore, I was trapped in the corner, however, the clot made a solid block wall vertically and a horizontal 'jump-through' floor, that cornered the ceiling, and i was pushed into it, couldn't get out. Poor clotty... you will be missed.
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 10:49:47 PM »

Cool. Nice work with the game. I found this really interesting.

gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 11:50:23 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments and feedback everyone!

320,000-ish is my highscore, I was trapped in the corner, however, the clot made a solid block wall vertically and a horizontal 'jump-through' floor, that cornered the ceiling, and i was pushed into it, couldn't get out. Poor clotty... you will be missed.
Ouch  Cry Sorry about that. I'll have a go at making it so that certain things can't be generated when too close to walls. You know that you can press down to go through the jump-through platforms, no?

Now for some minor feedback:
First off, the game is awesomely balanced and still possible to go further no matter how hectic it gets, super awesome job there. The graphics are also coolio.
But, on the critical side: Bombs suck until you get the whole floor covered in puppets, though that might be balanced from how awesome they are once that happens.
The bombs main function is to remove objects and items. MMF has a limit to objects before things start to slow down, so having something like it was necessary. You might have noticed that the bomb doesn't need activation to explode.

Also, the clots seem to get kind of trapped on the left side of the level, hugging the wall for several 'jumps'.
This is strange... I had that bug happen quite often in an early build but i'm sure i removed it. I'll try to fix it as best i can.

Not sure if they'd actually make the game better, but you could easily add some new power-ups. Hell, even if you're just modifying existing ones.
There were a few more powerups planned but i couldn't bother adding them. All powerups but the skulls are centered around explosions, which made it easy peasy for me. I have a few ideas for a sequel, if i make it, i'll definitely add a ton o' items!

Did you mean "shouldn't"? (They do blow up!)

Lastly, you have instilled a newfound hatred for ghosts in me Cry
My work here is done  Cool
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:01:37 AM by gustav » Logged

GreatFox
Level 0

Fox

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 12:18:25 AM »

"Cannot load pxPlay.mfx. This object might need an external program or libary not yet installed."

GreatFox and Winter, try downloading msvcr71.dll and put it in the same folder as the bloodboy exe.

msvcr71.dll

If that works, please tell me and i'll add it to the zip file; if not... I'll keep trying.

That didn't work, neither did pxtune.dll. Guess I won't be playing this...
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 01:27:45 AM »

This game is concentrated awesome.

ortoslon
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 01:55:42 AM »

Is there a way to run the game without music or completely silent?
Winter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 02:08:11 AM »

Yeah, yeehaawww it worked!
But you NOT in the game-folder.
You have to put the dll in your system-folder!

Okay I'll try the game now.
ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2008, 04:02:02 AM »

Good stuff. Awesome to see a nice little game from you :D

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »

On my comp, it crashes when things get really frantic, and that's extremely annoying. I can't really work up the enthusiasm to play it anymore when I know it will probably crash whenever I'm approaching a high score. From what I understand this is probably MMF's fault rather than yours, but it's still an almost game-breaking problem.

Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 04:49:24 AM »

On my comp, it crashes when things get really frantic, and that's extremely annoying. I can't really work up the enthusiasm to play it anymore when I know it will probably crash whenever I'm approaching a high score. From what I understand this is probably MMF's fault rather than yours, but it's still an almost game-breaking problem.
Same with me. Additionally I'm experiencing slowdowns, but that's probably because my machine is so slow.
gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008, 08:36:11 AM »

Well, that sucks Sad... I'm not sure what i could do about it, since it only seems to happen on some computers. When HWA comes out for MMF, i'll apply it to Bloodboy. That might fix it. Might...

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »

Did you mean "shouldn't"? (They do blow up!)
Ah, no, I meant their tiny little explosion should be able to hurt the other enemies  Smiley

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »

Ouch  Cry Sorry about that. I'll have a go at making it so that certain things can't be generated when too close to walls. You know that you can press down to go through the jump-through platforms, no?

I was just thinking about that. I didn't realize it at the time though.
One thing, perhaps, that would help to cure the chaos of finding the crystals when the game gets really hectic, how about, along with the "Protect!" bubble popping up when they are being attacked, the dotted line drawn to them from blood boy blinks red? It might make it a little easier to figure out what is going on.

This game is really really fun!
gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2008, 12:42:14 PM »

I was just thinking about that. I didn't realize it at the time though.
One thing, perhaps, that would help to cure the chaos of finding the crystals when the game gets really hectic, how about, along with the "Protect!" bubble popping up when they are being attacked, the dotted line drawn to them from blood boy blinks red? It might make it a little easier to figure out what is going on.

This game is really really fun!

:D
I tried to do just that. For some reason, whatever i tried, i couldn't make it work. MMF's logic can be very strange at times.

And thank you!

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 02:12:47 PM »

I tried to do just that. For some reason, whatever i tried, i couldn't make it work.
Odd. You've tried something like always spreading a value in both the clots and the links, then using that value to tie them together?
Always: spread 0 in value ID in clot, spread value 0 in link. (presuming you have one link object that you just rotate/stretch).
Clot in trouble && Link value ID = clot value ID: set animation sequence to blink.
Clot in trouble && Link value ID = clot value ID: set animation sequence to normal.

Very fun game nonetheless!

gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »

I tried to do just that. For some reason, whatever i tried, i couldn't make it work.
Odd. You've tried something like always spreading a value in both the clots and the links, then using that value to tie them together?
Always: spread 0 in value ID in clot, spread value 0 in link. (presuming you have one link object that you just rotate/stretch).
Clot in trouble && Link value ID = clot value ID: set animation sequence to blink.
Clot in trouble && Link value ID = clot value ID: set animation sequence to normal.

Very fun game nonetheless!

Yeah, that's how i made the links work, but when i tried to change an animation it seemingly ignored it and set off the animation for all the links. Granted, I didn't take much time trying to solve it and after a few tries i just moved on. MMF's object selection still confuses me.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2008, 09:01:42 PM »

Pretty awesome game you have here. ove the artwork and the gameplay is frantic and fun. NOt much I can add to criticism that hasn't been said and answered, so good look on your next projects.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic