Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:28:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessUS Indie Games Competitions
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: US Indie Games Competitions  (Read 8013 times)
Fost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2007, 06:16:24 AM »

I really hate the IGF, and I really hate the Indie Game Showcase, and I really hate Futureplay.

Not for any logical reason, they are obviously doing the indie world a great service, so why you may ask?: BECAUSE I'M COMPLETELY JEALOUS AS I CAN NEVER AFFORD TO GO!!!

It costs A BAZILLION DOLLARS to go to these competitions if you don't live in the states. Yet you are required to go if you enter.

Boohoo me! It's not fair Sad Not content with stealing Cat Deeley from us, the US now has the only indie competitions and they aren't really open to paupers living outside the US.

Hmm, need to start my own competition I think: Fost's (really poor) indie games showcase - nobody needs to show up, top prize is a caravan weekend in Cornwall. Any takers?
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:53:05 AM »

Make it a week in Wales and you've got a deal. Smiley

Also, we *should* have a UK compo, and you get bonus points for including Double-Decker buses, Haggises, Red Dragons and the Pirates Of Penzance. Tongue

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Fost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »

I actually wrote to the BAFTA organisation suggesting they extend their games awards with an indie category. Not sure if anything happened with that...
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:02:52 AM »

I actually wrote to the BAFTA organisation suggesting they extend their games awards with an indie category. Not sure if anything happened with that...

This did:

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
Fost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:06:09 AM »

I don't know - they have a meeting every year that the members attend, so it might not even have happened yet. I was told it would definitely be tabled on the agenda. Peter Molyneux is one of the members, and you'd think he'd at least know about this kind of thing, especially after several of his team made Rag Doll Kung Fu.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 08:54:29 AM »

I don't know - they have a meeting every year that the members attend, so it might not even have happened yet. I was told it would definitely be tabled on the agenda. Peter Molyneux is one of the members, and you'd think he'd at least know about this kind of thing, especially after several of his team made Rag Doll Kung Fu.

Did they leave Lionhead to do that? Only if there's a bitter taste in his mouth from that, I bet he'll vote no, the publicity seeking baldy bumface! Wink

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 09:31:16 AM »

Yes, they left LH to form Media Molecule, and sold out to Sony with their fancy-pants Little Big Planet (which itself has caught the Molyneux Ridiculous Hyperbole In Design Features bug)

Fost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:39:18 AM »

Did they leave Lionhead to do that?
No, they did it at Lionhead in their spare time, then with the money they received, they set up Media Molecule and made Little Big Planet, which is one of the most interesting games to come along in a long time.

Apparently PM new about it and was fine with it - you shouldn't discount that as being pretty cool - all the places I've worked at have a policy whereby anything you do in your spare time that's in the same field becomes their property - they take a dim view of people working on their own projects, as if all your time is theirs.
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 09:54:05 AM »

Not to mention cliffski (democracy, kudos) was working at LH on the movies when he was developing Democracy. No lost love between them now though.. hehe
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »

Yes, you have to hand it to PM for giving those people their dues. Fost is right about companies and IP, it's a really stupid situation IMO.

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 11:29:12 PM »

Not to mention, I think Cliffski has in the past pointed out Molyneux's ignorance of the indie situation.  So I hate to say it, but if he's the mainstream hero you're expecting to make it happen, you might be screwed.  And not to mention, he's someone who's lost a bunch of people to the ideal, so it's maybe not in his best interest.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 12:15:52 AM »

stupid idea .. because I don't like the feel of Second Life really but someone could organize a compo/conference/meetup week up-there and travel expenses fall of.

If not anyone else - Sun (microsystems) has a "conference hall" with a stage and all there and maybe they could lend it to indies for a week. They seem quite friendly towards game development and indies (Chris M..)

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 03:03:30 AM »

Yuss, Little Big Planet looks ace, and I've not noticed too my hyperbole about it yet, only the reality of a really cute looking physics/co-operation-based platformer where you can build your own levels easily.

Never realised Cliffski was at LH, though. I can see why he'd want out, it seems his designs are in quite different realms to the kind of game that LH put out.

As for IP ownership, I've always been lucky that I've worked for bosses which didn't care about it as long as I wasn't competing with the company.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 03:37:34 AM »

Just to clarify my point about the hype on LBP. What I saw was an authored level. I didn't see anything else so forgive me if certain features that were mentioned have actually been implemented. But from my perspective, what I saw was a co-op physics platformer, which looked awesome, and then I heard a lot of lovely features that would be fairly interesting if they ever saw the light of day. Which, my point was, is very remeniscent of PM's general work ethos.

Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 12:03:50 AM »

It costs A BAZILLION DOLLARS to go to these competitions if you don't live in the states. Yet you are required to go if you enter.

For IGF at least, you can have anyone you designate attend in your place and accept any awards you might receive on awards night.  Not that that's all that much fun, but you can at least compete even if you can't afford to fly over and do the whole shebang.

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
Fost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 04:49:29 PM »

For IGF at least, you can have anyone you designate attend in your place and accept any awards you might receive on awards night.

Yeah, but we have no friends Sad

Seriously though - surely that's a waste of time - you need to be there promoting it so they know who the awards going to to have a chance of winning I'd have thought?
Maybe an option though - cheaper to pay someone to do it than go yourself. I really think you need to be there to benefit from winning though - then you get to meet potential publishers. I'm not having a go at the shows - I'm just 100% jealous of everyone who gets to go is all Smiley
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 10:10:56 PM »

For IGF at least, you can have anyone you designate attend in your place and accept any awards you might receive on awards night.

Yeah, but we have no friends Sad

Seriously though - surely that's a waste of time - you need to be there promoting it so they know who the awards going to to have a chance of winning I'd have thought?
Maybe an option though - cheaper to pay someone to do it than go yourself. I really think you need to be there to benefit from winning though - then you get to meet potential publishers. I'm not having a go at the shows - I'm just 100% jealous of everyone who gets to go is all Smiley

Oh, I'm sure you could find someone trustworthy lurking around here who'd proxy you right Smiley.  Point taken, though.  You guys should put together your own competition. Due eet!  Cool

Also (and for the record) the award you'd need to be currying favor for is the Audience Award, but they've made that an online Gamespot voted thing now so the in-person huckstering is fairly moot anyway.

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 03:16:36 AM »

Also (and for the record) the award you'd need to be currying favor for is the Audience Award, but they've made that an online Gamespot voted thing now so the in-person huckstering is fairly moot anyway.

Well, you say that but I recall a recent online indie competition with some of the parties involved saying "free copies if you vote for us!", the dorty bastids.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 05:57:34 AM »

The Audience Awards are on GameSpot? Surely then, they're a "Least Unknown Indie Game" award?

So, the audience award is more like a "Marketing Pervasiveness" award?

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 07:05:17 AM »

imagine that you are from slovenia like that line-rider guy...(where beer and life costs like few pennies compared to UK according to fost and arsecaster last time Wink )  .

He got the reward for innovation or something at gdc (right after igf awards on that video). ok.. the speaker pronounces your name in a way that even yourself nor your mother get... you go on stage.. make a speech (ok he just screamed like he will attack someone)... you are even funny enough to cook your head in a big cap and a that-warm-thing-around-your-neck-that-I-dont-know-eng-word whole evening (to look like line-rider)... then the speaker shocked by the length of your speech doesn't get why you are dressed like that... looks a little confused and funny... and says... "well it must be very cold in estonia"?

((If he would at least confuse us with slovakia like 90% do I would understand.))

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic