Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:26:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGGo go Hippo on the High Seas
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Go go Hippo on the High Seas  (Read 8299 times)
Gnarf
« on: March 08, 2008, 04:08:51 PM »

Hay I'm new!

I've no idea if I'm capable of finishing anything by the end of the competition. Or by the end of time. But I really like hippos.

I'm not quite certain if the hippo is going to swim from where hippos live, across the ocean, to the country that lies across the ocean from where hippos live, possibly in order to get hold of something the hippos back in where hippos live need. Or if the hippo is going to swim back and forth across some pond but be very happy about himself, believing he's totally the Hippo on the High Seas. The game will consist of swimming and diving, at least. The hippo will be a happy hippo, mostly.

This is what a hippo looks like:
Zaphos
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »

This is what a hippo looks like:

Neat, but I think that's not quite a hippo.  Hippos do not hold their heads above their bodies like that.

Here's a quick edit to show what I'm talking about:

Here is a picture of a hippo:

I am just saying this because when I first read your post I thought you had drawn a very cute little goat.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:07:51 PM by Zaphos » Logged
Gnarf
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 05:46:01 PM »

Admittedly I like goats even more than hippos. And as a general thing, I don't have a clue what things that actually exist look like. That looks a lot more like a hippo. As it will be swimming, I'm thinking that it's gonna lift its head a little ("because that's how other breeds of dogs swim, no?"), at least a little, but it does seem like rather a good idea to make the hippo look a bit like a hippo Smiley

That baby hippo is awesome.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:57:19 PM »

Actually when a hippo swims his eyes and nose are just above the surface of the water.

Maybe your hippo needs a boat.

tweet tweet @j_younger
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »

Here's a quick edit to show what I'm talking about:

Here is a picture of a hippo:

"Hippos do not hold their heads above their bodies like that."

The little hippo in the picture seems to be able to do just that though. BĂșt, you are right, for better recognition your version is a lot better.

I'm looking forward to this game though, seems like a pretty difficult choice to me,

Cheers

"Fun is rule."
Gnarf
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 07:47:48 PM »

Minor setback due to knowing nothing about any animals. So it turns out hippos are more like circles with legs and a  head attached.

Maybe your hippo needs a boat.

Zaphos
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:26:14 PM »

The little hippo in the picture seems to be able to do just that though.
Yes, their heads can definitely raise up; just less so.

Kiss
Gnarf
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »

Today I drew a pirate.

The hippo will have to fight pirates. The pirates will use cannons to try and fight the hippo, but what they don't know is that the hippo charges up on hippo power from nearby cannonballs splashing into water (Hippos really being splashed with water. They don't like being boinked on the head by cannonballs though.). Oh my.

I then made my own font and my own almost a font thing engine. I'm pretty sure that isn't time well spent, as there are one or two solutions for getting text onto screens already around. However, it didn't take me that long since I made it really horrible. I also made the font horrible, because it will be used for shouting at the player.

The text is supposed to constantly change color, but somehow it doesn't show up like that in screenshots. That's so strange!

I also made some other things. Like a class called Hippo.

Edit: Typo. Although the idea of suing my font appeals to me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:08:22 PM by Gnarf » Logged
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 01:02:05 PM »

I also made some other things. Like a class called Hippo.

That is a good class to have!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Gnarf
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »

Or are you just saying that because you want to subclass some mudkip off it?!

Progress report, in which I report things that are remotely similar to progress:

Bunch of studies things have been interfering with Hippo (not progress), but I've gotten one or two things done.

I have some ocean thing. It sort of moves in an almost oceany way, and things that are floating on it are moving up and down like in kind of a floaty way.

Large blocky particle things for splashy effects and such.

One pirate in the ocean. He just sort of is there, not doing anything other than floating.

Almost an intro thing, when the game starts. Some text, a picture, and crazy ass wicked mad fading between said textings and picture, and the color black. I'm a bit afraid the internets is going to call me emoboy gothface or stupidhead if I keep the black in there :|

Some basic Hippo movements. In addition to moving left and right while floating:

So, Hippo can do little hops. Hippo is quite happy when hopping.

And, when landing after doing little hops, Hippo  goes underwater for a little while.

Also, when landing in the water, if you're holding space bar down, Hippo will go a bit deeper than Hippo regularly does, and when you let go of space bar (or after some certain amount of time) Hippo will do super special charge towards surface. Like when hopping, Hippo is happy when charging like this.

And also as well, Hippo can charge forwards when floating about. Oh my! He's about to not collide with the pirate, since collisions aren't detected and that.

My Hippo class now has functions called happy, splash and boink. So, if I never get this thing finished, at least my source code is rather cheerful.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »

That is one cute hippo. Embarrassed
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »

Reminds me of that one Dolphin Olympics game...

Also, Gnarf, do you play Toribash? I swear I've seen your name on there before.
Gnarf
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »

That'd be me, yes. Don't play an awful lot these days, but every once in a while. I've been meaning to check out its new and shiny features for a while.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 02:04:06 AM »

remind that hippos can stay underwater a lot of time, they lives more in water than out!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Gnarf
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 06:41:15 AM »

Are you sure you're not confusing hippos with fishies? Fishies are really good at holding their breath like that and have fins.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 07:12:29 AM »

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/171000/171170PVXu_w.jpg

EDIT: Damn no image hotlinking! Angry
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:44:53 PM by Derek » Logged
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 07:59:10 AM »

Are you sure you're not confusing hippos with fishies? Fishies are really good at holding their breath like that and have fins.

:D what are you saying? fishes doesn't hold the breath, they breath in water.

Adult Hippos breath one time every 5-6 minutes, they also rise and breath in automatic also while sleeping using a system like a submarine (they sleep underwater and they lives the most of their lives totally underwater)

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 08:43:51 AM »

That'd be me, yes. Don't play an awful lot these days, but every once in a while. I've been meaning to check out its new and shiny features for a while.
Cool! I remember seeing some of your replays, they were really impressive.

Gnarf
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »

Oo, aa, cool. Thanks Smiley

:D what are you saying? fishes doesn't hold the breath, they breath in water.

Adult Hippos breath one time every 5-6 minutes, they also rise and breath in automatic also while sleeping using a system like a submarine (they sleep underwater and they lives the most of their lives totally underwater)
I believe there will be scientific facts about hippos, in an upcoming game about a hippo, refuting that.

Invisible hippofishie!

Again with the studies. Today there were also important errands of great importance. I've had time to add in a boat and another pirate, and set up a bit of a data structure around them.

And Hippo can sort of hijack pirate ships from the pirates. The pirates bounce off their ship when Hippo lands on it and then Hippo gets to control the ship Smiley Needs a bit of tweaking before it looks/feels quite right though.

Judging by their flag, those might just happen to be the infamous Pirates of Squid! That'd explain their mast with no sail like verily.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »

Wicked... it looks like a side-scrolling Wind Waker with hippos.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic