Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:21:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallLoved - Confrontational Short Story
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Loved - Confrontational Short Story  (Read 4625 times)
AlexanderOcias
Level 0

Games that change people

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:24:49 PM »

Howdy folks,

I wanted to build something something confrontational, that would engage players to give thought to what they are doing both in and out of game.

The result is Loved - a short story in the form of a flash platformer.

Play Loved on Kongregate
Play Loved on Newgrounds
Play Loved on my site

Cheers,
Alexander
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »

Weird masochistic art game. I didn't feel like cooperating most of the time so I was subjected to more and more pixel corruption. I haven't tried doing what he says all the time yet or other choices, so I'm not sure how it varies.
Gameplay-wise, I had some problems when walking off a ledge where I would go about 3 spaces to the side instead of 1 and would get killed by spikes or other hazards.
ortoslon
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 03:39:29 AM »

playthroughs: obedient

disobedient

PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »

I liked the game. Didn't encounter any bugs or any crazy difficulty. Beware, spoilers ahead:

I guess the correct interpretation is the obvious one: that subordination leads to colorless, but otherwise well-defined love, and that insubordination, or more possibly individiualism, lacks the same smoothness and precision, while having colors, which are a lot less comprehensible and possibly therefore immensely more valuable.

For art, we can possibly say,
Subordination: Realism
Rebellion: Symbolism, Impressionism and similar movements

While, in another sense,
Subordination: Religion, where everything is precise and absolute, where one may find a one-dimensional love- certainly an imaginary love
Rebellion: Science, where one strives for knowledge and the truth, thus seeing what a believer/fanatic sees as a simple statue as an object of certain mystery and yet-incomprehensible complexity.
ChevyRay
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »

Excellent game, thanks for sharing!
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 02:35:54 PM »

Really liked it. I liked how the colours worked depending if you were obeying/disobeying, etc. Nice Grin

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »

A masocore art game? You have my number. I'll have to play through a couple more times but I dug what I played. I'm kind of attached to addiction as a gameplay mechanic, the abusive relationship here is a form of that.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:27:04 AM »

I didn't get it. I played a couple times, didn't notice any significant differences. Didn't feel emotional, confrontational or engaged in any way. In fact it came off as a bit pretentious, "artsy" if you will; Trying to excuse non-existent gameplay with equally non-existent... Something. Still don't know what it is this "game" is supposed to have that everybody's so worked up about but I can't see.
captain catton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 06:12:39 AM »

I really liked this game, though I felt oddly seduced by the masochistic voice.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 08:51:30 AM »

I really liked it, I liked how the world glitched more and more out as you disobeyed the commands. Made me think of constructivism.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 11:28:20 AM »

No, you are a girl.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »

No, I am a woman.

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 03:27:02 AM »

I tried to be a good girl, but then he told me not to fail, and my arrow keys are broken (can't jump left). And, well, couldn't finish it. In any case, I liked what I played a lot.

Is there any reason why the character looks like a fat bear?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 12:08:37 PM »

I enjoyed what I played, though it would benefit from a little fine-tunning of the controls.

I guess the reason I can think of the character to not be humanoid is that the character's appearance is not the focus here, so making him a little abstract help you stop caring about how he looks and just focus on the rest of the game.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Animator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 12:18:57 PM »

That voice seriously started to tick me off the first moment after it called me a girl. Then I started cursing it out when it started to 'love me'. Needless to say, I was very satisfied when I did it the seccond time around and did none of it's commands, where it (spoiler): begged me to stay, to which I strutted my walk of colors and was all like, "you -wish- you had this", down a hallway.

This game has waaaaaaaaaaay too many interpretations to it, but the one I can most envision out of this is a relationship between parents and their offspring as they get older.

As for the gameplay itself, it was just another normal platforming game. There were only 2 things I didn't like about it, though. The statues (checkpoints) would fling me a bit too far sometimes (I once died that way!) and into weird directions. The other is (if you're disobedient) that when the world starts becoming more colorful, the enemies don't change into their black and white detailed selves and remain red things. This is fine and dandy, but after I make it halfway across the game, those flying things (what are supposed to be rotating blades) along with the spikes have the tendency to blend in with everything else. You won't notice it until you somehow die, to which you'll exclaim "WHAT? HOW DID I DIE?" and notice that there was something red there. It's a bit disorienting that way, at least how I experienced it.

Other than that, it's not a bad game.

sauyadav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 01:09:38 AM »

My personal interpretation: trusting someone, even if they seems harsh and mean sometimes, make things clearer in life. One doesn't have to experience an obstacle to realize that it is an obstacle. They can believe when others warn about it. Also trusts brings smoothness to a relationship. I interpret colors as distractions and something which is trying to confuse me.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic