Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:31:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsYou Are The Castle
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: You Are The Castle  (Read 10286 times)
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2010, 04:19:55 AM »

What's up TIGers?! Hand Thumbs Up Right Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Left

Working on this again.  Track progress at the live changelog and try the current version out.

Concept

So the basic idea is to take the castle levels from platformers past, and put the player in control of the other side.  The heroes are afoot, and want your delicious princess.  So, of course, your job is to crush, burn, impale, slice, stab, drown, melt, implode, explode, and bake a cake for DESTROY them.

Gameplay

The basics are as you would expect.  Heroes emerge from the far left of the screen as they enter your castle, and proceed relentlessly to the right towards the captive princess.  Platformer physics are in full effect so heroes can jump over ledges and extended traps, fall down into pits of death, etc.  You, as the player, are in control of these traps, and must use precise timing and micro-management to eliminate all heroes before they reach your princess.  

Players will have a setup phase at the beginning of each level to place traps using accumulated gold, and then a shorter period between each wave to re-position and place new traps.  Then as each wave progresses it's up to the player to track and kill the heroes by activating the traps manually.  Heroes will drop their coins which you will greedily collect and use to kill more of them.  Fun for the whole family.

If too many heroes reach your priest and kill him then they will rescue the princess and game over, man.

Traps

We already have a variety of traps ready, and are working on more to give the player a lot of variety.  The ones we currently have:

• Thwamp
  • Spiker
  • Lava Pool/Fireball
  • Acid Pool/Acidball
  • Bullet Bob + Launcher
  • Hammer Mole
  • Pipe Monster
  • Flamethrower
  • Saw Gun
  • Fall-away Bridges
  • Demon Minions

Art

We're doing something completely innovative within the indie community as far as our assets go.  Retro pixel art. Obvious nods to SMB Mario, but it fits.

Videos

Play

Comments?  Feedback?   Beg

Thanks!  Beer!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:12:13 AM by DeadPixel » Logged

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:30:31 AM »

First reaction: Wow, cool stuff!
Second reaction: Oh, Xbox. I won't ever be able to play it.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:33:14 AM »

I second that, but I still think this'll be awesome ^^

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:43:46 AM »

First:  Thanks!

Second: Sad  If all goes ok we may release a donation-based (download, then donate if you want) Windows version.  Or I may even take the opportunity to learn flash and write a port.  Shrug  We DO want as many people to be able to play it as possible, but XBLIG is a really interesting platform right now so we wanted to try it first.  Plus it's what I already know.  Who, Me?

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 06:46:20 AM »

Exactly...

I wish you success, though. This looks to be a very snazzy game.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 06:56:35 AM »

First:  Thanks!

Second: Sad  If all goes ok we may release a donation-based (download, then donate if you want) Windows version.  Or I may even take the opportunity to learn flash and write a port.  Shrug  We DO want as many people to be able to play it as possible, but XBLIG is a really interesting platform right now so we wanted to try it first.  Plus it's what I already know.  Who, Me?

If you are interested I could help you guys with the flash port, just have a look at my signature Wink

Cheers,

Maxim

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 09:48:37 AM »

Expect my money over the Xbox whenever you choose to release it.

Owning one I'm actually glad about your choice to put this on a console. Seems like the kind of game that would be better enjoyed on a couch in front of a TV.

And speaking of playing on a console, have you considered throwing couch multiplayer into this? With the second player controlling the heroes? Seems like it would be fun. Especially because I get images of P1 playing as a boss and P2 playing as whatever powerful hero managed to be the only one to survive in the final room.
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 09:53:10 AM »

2P hotseat is definitely a game mode we have in mind.  Whether that pans out as local only and/or Xbox Live remains to be seen.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »

Ah this looks fantastic.

If you do release for PC you don't have to make it donationware, you could still sell it. I know I'd buy it! Maybe even Steam would pick it up?

I'll still play it no matter what platform it comes on though.
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!  Really helps keep you motivated.  Cheesy

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 06:45:32 PM »

Today was a busy day for me. 

Things I did:

• Implemented cooldowns across the board for traps.
  • Tightened up fireball trap movement.
  • Implemented a basic mini-map.
  • Added some new sprite sheets and animations I hadn't gotten to yet.
  • Implemented particle effects starting with blood splatters (video in OP).
  • Pipe Monster fully implemented (video in OP).
  • Added some non-particle sprite-based effects for things like a hero's dust trail when he kicks off running, lava splash when a fireball lands, etc.
  • Implemented a visual notification that the lava pool trap is ready to fire.  We'll probably do this for all traps one way or another.
  • Agonized over more musicians I've found.  Can I keep them all?  Everyone is so damn talented.
  • Some more things I probably can't think of...

So ya, good day!  Really looking forward to my upcoming 9 day vacation to really knock some large parts of the game out.  I think we may be on track for an end-of-summer release.   Beer!

Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm drawing the pixels for this game.

Here's a recent mockup of the 'classic' style tileset:

The fireball more closely matches the colors of the lava and is a little less flat. There's also some small changes to the background tiles and the spike trap.

I have 2 more tilesets nearly completed. One is the obligatory ice world:

The other might be a spoiler so I think we're going to hold off on showing it. We're trying for around 6 or 7 tilesets in total. I'll post updates as they're completed.

There are also going to be some static background objects (candles, windows, statues, etc.) that will hopefully populate the levels.

Deadpixel Matt is shooting for an end of summer release, and he's talented enough to make it, but I don't know if I can keep up with him.

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 04:44:51 AM »

Thought I would post this up here since it's pretty cool!  Our first bit of fan art from a Twitter follower:

Kiss

Other than that, work continues.  Tyler is putting out some awesome looking tilesets while I continue to work on engine internals.  I'm working on expanding controls beyond ABXY to see if we can get some fun out of the analog controls on the gamepad. 

We have a collectible coin mechanic we're going to add that you can collect towards various unlockables.

We may not make end of summer, which isn't a big deal really.  I'd rather us take our time with little stress and put out a decent game than worry about artifical deadlines.

Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:51:09 PM »

This game shows a TON of promise and I hope that you put it up for pc also. I know that I would pay for it.

Good luck guys, hope this gets the attention that it deserves Smiley
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 10:01:47 PM »

Wow, this looks great! I'll be in the PC-havers boat, though.

Please tell me you will have a mode where the heroes can learn from past mistakes! Beg
deathtotheweird
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 10:48:11 PM »

Found this sitting on my hard drive: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10833.0

concept a bit different as you are not a castle but a princess guiding the player through it. Quite interesting I think.
Yshaana
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »

Very cool idea and the game looks fun. It feels like a fresh new take on tower defense and its a great idea ! I will follow this with great attention!

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 02:05:47 AM »

It feels like a fresh new take on tower defense and its a great idea ! I will follow this with great attention!

I second that, but also the mention of Tower Defense did make me wonder, when you start a level will you be given a selection of traps or will you be able to buy and upgrade traps and kit out the level how you feel it will work best?

I can't wait to play this dood :-D keep it up!
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I second that, but also the mention of Tower Defense did make me wonder, when you start a level will you be given a selection of traps or will you be able to buy and upgrade traps and kit out the level how you feel it will work best?

I can't wait to play this dood :-D keep it up!

We don't have traps that you can place in mind at the moment.  We're going for more of a 'reverse-lemmings' feel than a tower defense.  The game obviously rides the line between those two though. Smiley

Found this sitting on my hard drive: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10833.0

concept a bit different as you are not a castle but a princess guiding the player through it. Quite interesting I think.

That's awesome allen!  Gave it a play and it was quite good, something that should be expanded on.

As for people asking for PC version, we'll see!  It's not hard to move the game between Xbox and Windows, so it would just be up the logistics of it all.  We'll see for sure!

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 08:57:20 PM »

Hi guys,

We're running a gameplay playtest session over at the XNA Creator's Club forums (link: http://bit.ly/biEcd1).  If you're a member and have access you can download the game to your Xbox 360 to give it a test, and we'd very much appreciate your feedback on where we are currently.

For everyone else, we're probably going to get the game a bit more mature before dropping a Windows build for playtesting.  Should be sooner, rather than later, though!

Thanks,

Matt

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic