Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:18:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOverworld Overlord
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Overworld Overlord  (Read 6712 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »

One day a hero shall rise
and this hero will save the world.
You are not this hero.

So welcome to the devlog of Overworld Overlord (or OWOL). In this game, hopefully, you will play the role of no entity in particular as towns rise from the landscape and evil begins to set foot in this once-isolated land. The game will not delve into the details involved with combat or shops or anything like that; you will control placement and growth of towns, prepare the landscape for the hero, and strategically keep evil away from the towns where they would seek to disturb the peace. The Hero will be chosen by you, and must defeat evil if the world is to survive.

The world is divided into a large grid, and shall be divided into discrete tiles with somewhat reliable interaction.

It is my intent that this will be some combination of
  • City Sim?
  • Grid-Based / Tile-Based Puzzle
  • Turn-Based Strategy
  • Fantasy RPG (more the theme than the actual elements)

Overworld Overlord's very concept is far from complete.

It will be developed using FlashDevelop and FlashPunk.

---> I am still seeking a bit of design assistance. See third post. Then PM me or something.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:45:43 AM by Droqen » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 03:00:55 PM »

Nice logo, concept seems interesting from what little we got.  Wink
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »

I, um, also need someone to help me.
I'm seeking someone who wants to maybe help with the design of the game :D
[and is interested in how it sounds like it is going to be]
because I cannot quite yet wrap my brain around the concept.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:25:31 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 04:21:26 PM »

http://www.vectorstorm.org/get-games/full-games/mmorpg-tycoon/

You might want to check this out. It's not the same thing, but somewhat similar to what you're suggesting.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »

A turn-based strategy meets Sim City?  Well, hello there! I'm all over that -- TBS is my favorite genre (outside of platformers, naturally). PM me what you have and I'll see how I can help ya. I have a dozen TBS/wargame prototypes, perhaps I could salvage some ideas and incorporate them into the game. 

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 06:41:03 PM »

Man.

I've had the idea of a game or story where the player is the 'big bad' of a game story and acts as a plot agent, setting up the layouts of dungeons and placement of enemies, items and such so that the hero is challenged but ultimately prevails.  That's the bad guy's job in your average videogame, you know.

Of course, that idea isn't as fun-sounding as your thing.  Good luck.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 07:05:51 PM »

Cellulose Man, that sounds pretty cool :]

I would consider doing something like that, but I have frankly had enough with complicated pathfinding back with I Live Underground (which I still feel bad about abandoning)!

Although I will admit it would be interesting to have the player want to delay the hero as long as possible but leave him victorious in the end.

---> In this idea, I mean; I was considering it earlier too but it might be too abstract and complicated. Would fit well with your idea though.

Dustin: I will do this soon.

Oh also: screenshots will be on their way.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:19:14 PM by Droqen » Logged

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »

Sounds fresh and definitely interesting. Such a cool logo, too. I don't know what to say other than, keep me informed :D

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »

Thanks, Dom! :D
I'm glad you think it sounds good :3 new and pretty stuff is going to be up soonish once I get a slightly playable thing going on.

mad ponderings

Town Uniqueness
Upon creation, every Village [lowest-level Town] gains a unique property.
When a Village grows in size [you must choose this] it will gain a second, related property.
When you get to Castle it gains a third and final related property.

Once such a 'unique property' is bestowed upon a settlement it will not appear elsewhere.

The Hero
Once you have chosen a Hero, it is impossible for him (or her) to be killed, but there may be delays.

I'm not sure whether the Hero should be entirely self-propelled, completely controlled by you (it would be simply directional control), or somewhere in between.

I am attempting to draw as much inspiration from fairly traditional RPGs as I can.

Maybe I should draw inspiration from pokemon.

The Whole Game
What will you spend your time doing? Will games be short and sweet, or long and drawn-out to allow extensive building-up?

I am leaning towards the former; quick and short games with one or both of:
  • Difficulty ramps up after each Overworld you save.
  • Every Overworld is random and different in some possibly significant ways.

Current State of Affairs
The current engine is terribly simple: you have grass, forest, towns, and roads.
There is no real interaction to speak of; you can just set towns down, chop trees, clear stumps, or expand roads out of towns.

Also, there may be a short pause as I attempt to finish all the extra Journal art that FISHBANE needs :]
Thank you for your patience.

Curseman
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 10:13:57 PM »

Awesome concept!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:59:24 PM »

I think I would prefer a longer game, but by longer, I mean like an hour max. Probably like half an hour. Short enough to play in one sitting, but still feel like a big RPG-like experience. Like Like Like.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:25:18 PM »

Hmm. I will take this into account, mokesmoe! Thank you for the helpful feedback. I understand and shall answer accordingly; I think a number of people would like this, and I will probably offer another gamemode that is really short (or something like that).

Hi, Vanguard! :D Thanks!

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 07:42:23 AM »

I think this would work better as a longer, downloadable game, rather than a flash game. I guess you could always just make a projector or something, but I'd fancy playing this kind of idea over an hour or two.

Really loving it so far, though!

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 08:11:02 AM »

Droqen, you have inspired me to have a look into Flash to develop games. Or maybe I need to think about how I am making my games, everything seems to take forever for me.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »

You could have a campaign mode where you go through some shortish (longer near the end) missions with some sort of goal, A 'normal' mode where you just play a single long game, tring to have your hero beat the evil forces, and then also a endless mode, where you can just keep building up your empire.

Mid-game saves are a must.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »

So you build the landscape, and an AI hero plays the RPG?

Is there dungeons?
By "unique property do you mean like an item and weapon shop, and an Inn and stuff?
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 03:47:14 PM »

I'm not sure whether the Hero should be entirely self-propelled, completely controlled by you (it would be simply directional control), or somewhere in between.

Most likely you should go for self-propelled, with the option to manually move him if necessary.

I am attempting to draw as much inspiration from fairly traditional RPGs as I can.
Maybe.

Maybe I should draw inspiration from pokemon.
This.  Kiss

Whenever you want to send me the full details we can go gung-ho on this.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »

Dustin, because I don't want to PMspam you, my PM was not really fully detailed because I wasn't really sure what to say D:

My original thought was a self-guiding Hero who you can nudge in a direction as your action for a turn [if you so choose to do so].

Pokemon town and route layouts are kinda nice :D

I_smell: That's right, to an extent. However the focus will not be on what the hero does inside dungeons or individual combat -- the hero is more like a weapon for you to wield against the evil (maybe you can guide him with messages or something odd).

Also, by 'unique property' I mean...

--> Certain kind of shop (bicycle shop? except for that's pokemon and not this game)
--> Special inhabitant (fortune teller for example)
--> Unique resource (some kind of crazy metal good for powerful weapons / armour)
--> etc.

You The Hero will be able to sleep (and recover) at any town.

TERRAIN TYPES

A pain to implement tiles that mesh well, but I might add a few.
At the moment I am enjoying the extreme simplicity in "GRASS OR FOREST". Trees can be cut down for resource but are lost forever. Trees also block roads and may fuel Evil.

The one I would consider most seriously is WATER.

MAP SIZE

I am also not sure whether I should leave the map as-is, or allow the grid to grow larger than 15x15 (the current fixed size). I would have to add scrolling and it might not feel as good.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:29:21 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »

The size of map really depends on how long of a game you want. You could have that as default and have a bigger map with scrolling as an option for longer games.

For terrain types, I think water is a good idea.
If you want more, desert or mountain would be good ones. Desert towns would be weaker, and walking though the desert would be more dangerous. Mountains would be slow and dangerous, with no way to build on them; it would separate areas while still being passable.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:58:34 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »

level designer versus enemy AI.
what's stopping the hero from getting buff from dungeons filled(order by townsmen) lvl 1 creatures that have no attack and easy to kill?

other than having evil take over the town before the hero gets there. then corrupt the dungeon by tossing lvl100 monsters to breed/eat the lvl1 making them mutant freaks that reproduce faster than a rabbits and screw over the environment.

and that this about mountains and lack of building on them? why not build in them?
make them live underground. The hero could find massive forts and can either get good loot in armor and weapons from these if one makes a town for mining the stuff.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic