Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:46:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesthatgamecompany's new game: Journey
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: thatgamecompany's new game: Journey  (Read 13071 times)
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 01:11:46 AM »

Apparently no video or new screenshots were shown at the presentation, but here are a couple impressions:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/a-journey-to-thatgamecompanys-new-psn-game/2207/

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/17/preview-journey/

http://kotaku.com/5566573/journey-from-the-creators-of-flow-and-flower-explained?skyline=true&s=i

esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 01:36:42 AM »

In today’s society, man is powerful – We can travel at 60 mph; we can fly; we can connect with just about anyone, anywhere, at anytime. But on the street, people pass by each other ignoring the wonderful existence of other beings. We are overwhelmed by the attention needed to gain and execute our own power – just like we are in most video games. While we are doing that, we can become isolated and insecure deep inside our mind.

On the contrary, when we are hiking in the wild, we become tiny and weak again. These feelings make every other person we encounter much more important and enjoyable. We greet them, giving them genuine and useful help. We might travel together for a period, learn from and rely on each other. Struggling against the dangerous nature together, somehow, makes us warm and powerful inside. (This doesn’t make any rational sense, but somehow that’s how I feel. And I’m sure many of us do.)

While most video games offer the sense of empowerment in the online gaming experience, we felt the player will pay more attention to the other players if they are less distracted by the power, and the online gaming experience will be quite unique if it carries the feeling of awe towards the unknown. In a world where the majority of the players are distracted by technology, evoking a sense of awe and mystery could be very refreshing and powerful.”
--
To realize these goals, we aimed to create a world that feels vast and somewhat unfamiliar. And so the game begins with a character waking up in a desert, with no clues as to what might have happened before or what will happen later. There’s only a tall mountain in the distance, beckoning the player to set out and explore.

As you travel through the world, you may encounter a stranger who is on his or her own journey. But we don’t want to talk too much about the online experience right now. In part, because we really don’t want to inform your own experience of it; also, because we really enjoy seeing what happens when experiences come without explanation. But there’s plenty of time left for us to talk about it in the future…

One thing is for certain: we love getting to talk about a new project! It means that we can’t just navel-gaze about our own work anymore. It’s out there. You’re responding to it! And it also means we’re that much closer to getting the game into your hands. So we’d like to extend a HUGE thanks to everyone who has already expressed words of encouragement – they really do help!
--

Jenova Chen on the game.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 10:27:12 AM »

From those previews and the text Esquar posted, this sounds fucking unbelieveable. I think Journey is my most anticipated indie game now. I wonder if/how they manage to carry over the atmosphere into online play.
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »

I don't know why, but the idea of singing to communicate just struck me as absolutely beautiful.  I guess you could just write in the sand, of course.

I wonder if you can sing Journey songs. Durr...?

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »

From those previews and the text Esquar posted, this sounds fucking unbelieveable. I think Journey is my most anticipated indie game now. I wonder if/how they manage to carry over the atmosphere into online play.

Well, from the sounds of it, the game is always online (though they probably have to make an offline mode or substitute it with A.I. characters), where your goal is to reach the top of the mountain, and occasionally come across other wanderers.
Not being able to interact directly with eachother I find to be an interesting decision, because like he noted, players are often power-driven in multiplayer games and others are just obstacles to that, or once there is a power difference, it's simply bully or be bullied.

EDIT Now that I think of it, the most obvious way of handling it would be optional online, since they want to facilitate genuine experiences between players. So if you're offline, you just don't come across anyone.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:47:30 PM by Esquar » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 01:27:51 PM »

I don't know why, but the idea of singing to communicate just struck me as absolutely beautiful.  I guess you could just write in the sand, of course.
I'm sure looking forward to seeing swastikas and other "hilarious" shit in the sand.  Roll Eyes

I find atmosphere in online games only works if player communication is extremely restricted, like in Demon's Souls or Endless Forest. I guess implementing a preset selection of symbols to choose from would be the way to go here.

I also hope they'll go for full-on immersion and refrain from doing overly "gamey" stuff like displaying other characters' names over their heads.
Taiko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »

Some of my favorite games (Knytt for example) are heavy on atmosphere and exploration.  This sounds like the ultimate exploration game - I'm looking forward to this one a lot too.  Plus I'm interested to see how straight exploration works in a multiplayer context (although a lot of MMOs have exploration, this looks like it is focusing purely on that aspect).
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »

The idea of purely singing to communicate with other players seems like something beautiful in my mind.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 01:00:23 AM »

The game looks pretty beautiful; I hope to know more about the online experience.

Anyway... I. Love. Thatgamecompany.

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 02:32:34 AM »

This looks and sounds amazing...
Too bad I will never play it because I don't have a PS3 and can't afford to buy one. Sad

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 03:50:36 AM »

They won't release it for PC because either Sony fronted the money, or they are part of Sony's indie deal, where if you are only on their platform, they pay half your wages.

it's more than that: sony owns those games -- IP and everything. they're a second-party developer -- contracted by sony to make games for them, so they're sony's games, not thatgamecompany's. so there's little chance for sony to publish these games on pc, since they contracted them explicitly to make games for the PSN.

not that there's anything wrong with that, i'd possibly take the same deal in their position. but i'm just clarifying that it isn't an indie deal or related to fronting money, it's making games for sony on a contract as a second party developer. thatgamecompany couldn't release those games or port them to pc even if they wanted to.

alspal
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 04:56:55 AM »

I bet this game would make Kotick happy.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:50:55 PM by Melly » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »

it's more than that: sony owns those games -- IP and everything. they're a second-party developer -- contracted by sony to make games for them, so they're sony's games, not thatgamecompany's. so there's little chance for sony to publish these games on pc, since they contracted them explicitly to make games for the PSN.

not that there's anything wrong with that, i'd possibly take the same deal in their position. but i'm just clarifying that it isn't an indie deal or related to fronting money, it's making games for sony on a contract as a second party developer. thatgamecompany couldn't release those games or port them to pc even if they wanted to.

So does this still fit in the Indie Games section, since it's not actually an independent game?

Also alastair, please refrain from posting gigantic pictures of douchebags in the forums. It's bad for the well-being and blood pressure of the users.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 01:58:32 PM »

they're at the very least ex-indies, so i think it's fine. plus they're still a relatively small team (9 members).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 02:55:05 PM »

I'm not gonna buy this and demand a refund for Flower now. What a bunch of fucking sellouts.  Durr...?
chubigans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »

they're at the very least ex-indies, so i think it's fine. plus they're still a relatively small team (9 members).

I cannot say enough good things about them. When flOw was coming out on the PS3, I was one of the few people posting in their official forums, in general just praising the game and such. When it came out, they put my name and a few other forum member's names in the credits.

Not only that, but I received a flOw movie-like poster with all of the team's autographs in the mail one day.

Man, they're awesome.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »

So... this is not actually based on the band, then.

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »

Wasn't there supposed to be a video?

esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 09:07:20 PM »

Wasn't there supposed to be a video?
It was me who assumed that presentation automatically meant accompanying video. Also most games these days get revealed with a video.
But apparently they weren't willing to show any yet.

chubigans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 06:07:44 AM »

Gametrailers on Spike TV was supposed to do some video on it this past Friday, but instead had half an hour on Deadliest Warrior. Maybe they pushed it to this Friday?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic