Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:38:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGOrbital Booty Interceptor [DEBUGGED VERSION]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Orbital Booty Interceptor [DEBUGGED VERSION]  (Read 23376 times)
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:33:11 AM »

Story
"""""
Your and your space-alien buddies are in deep trouble! You are out of fuel to return to your home! Luckily, scanners picked up a nearby planet that is loaded with Astrogen, the fuel of fuels! Surely you can find a source plentiful enough to return!

Gameplay
""""""""
Although you fly a state-of-the-galactical-art ship that is invulnerable to the pathetic earthlings' weapons, your fuel crisis leaves you somewhat powerless.

Only the ships grapplers are still operable and even they use up precious Astrogen! So use them grapplers to pick up female specimens to replenish your immediate reserves. Pick up several females in a row to get multipliers (reset to 1 when you pick up a guy or miss)!

Grapplers have (near) infinite range. If they collide with the ground, your ship gets a vertical boost. A smaller boost is given when you grappler objects.

If your ship hits the ground, your shields will attempt to prevent damage of the impact. If succesful, the ship will bounce slightly. Using shields gives a hefty penalty on the Astrogen reserves!

With increasing points you will have increasing resistance. Get through all waves and you finish the game. Finish the game to immortalise your score  Grin

*** Warning: Earthlings are known to over-indulge in alcoholes. Stay clear of the drunk ones! ***

Controls
""""""""
Left mouse button   Use grapplers (Pick up objects, Bounce off ground).
Right mouse button   Drop all grapplers' contents

DOWNLOAD v101

For the OLDE version (and perhaps a bit more challenge):
|DOWNLOAD|

PS: Please post in this topic if any errors occur etc!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:46:59 PM by Baltirow » Logged

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »

Nice!  Is... is the cloud layer at the top of the screen how you go from "orbital" to "local?"

I really like the promise of the title screen...  giant hooks descending from the clouds, skill-crane style...

Also, your pixel art rules.

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »

If this isn't in need of a bump, then call me Crystal.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »

Nice, but.... these screenshots lack booty if you see what I mean. Wink

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 01:38:57 AM »

Nice!  Is... is the cloud layer at the top of the screen how you go from "orbital" to "local?"

I really like the promise of the title screen...  giant hooks descending from the clouds, skill-crane style...
The cloud layer works as a kind of atmosphere: it gives friction when going up fast and the gravity is lower above the clouds.

When the ship or hooks/claws penetrate the cloud layer, a puff effect is created, so yeah, you basically can do what the title screen promises Smiley

Currently adding more content, like women in Cadillacs, ambulances etc.

TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »

But watch out for those wily drag-queens!  :D
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »

Tongue

Actually, the setting is more in a 50's-ish mood:

don't grab da bumms or you will fly woozy Roll Eyes

Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:47:05 PM »

don't grab da bumms or you will fly woozy Roll Eyes
The very words I live by.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »

Needs more "badonkadonk!"

But srsly, great work so far.  Love the graphics!
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 08:18:54 PM »

I love your slightly cubist title screen (?) pixel art.
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 03:42:42 PM »

Game is almost finished, just the teaser above to show it's still gut a pulse Wink

Hope to finish it somewhere tomorrow!

ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 08:06:12 AM »

Excellent color and design choice with this.  Hopefully people will also have some fun with my commodore 64 style :D.
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »

The game is finished! Download in first post, have fun  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:42:28 PM by Baltirow » Logged

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 01:16:27 AM »

Very stylish game with interesting controls.  Smiley

I'm not quite sure if I get the limitations of the grappling arms right. After some time they stop working (even though I still have Astrogen). They don't fully retract to the ship. The arms then sort of limp behind the ship just a bit. Once both are non-functional I crash.  Strangely enough the ship then sometimes slides off one direction and the camera goes the other way. Bug or "undocumented feature" Wink?
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 04:31:08 AM »

Very stylish game with interesting controls.  Smiley
Thanks, it was fun making it too Smiley

I'm not quite sure if I get the limitations of the grappling arms right. After some time they stop working (even though I still have Astrogen). They don't fully retract to the ship. The arms then sort of limp behind the ship just a bit. Once both are non-functional I crash.  Strangely enough the ship then sometimes slides off one direction and the camera goes the other way. Bug or "undocumented feature" Wink?
The first thing only happens at very high speeds. I actually kept it this way (although I did increase grappler retraction rate) on purpose. It kinda reflects that the grapplers were never designed to do this job Roll Eyes
The latter is a bug that, but I liked how it made the ship look going all hay-wire, so I kept it the way it was  Smiley.

TIP: If you notice your grapplers are having difficult retracting, most of the time you are still carrying cargo. Consider dropping the cargo you have...

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 10:27:59 AM »

Overall I think this is a fun game, but it does have some problems:

• TIP: If you notice your grapplers are having difficult retracting, most of the time you are still carrying cargo. Consider dropping the cargo you have...
    Perhaps you should mention this in-game? Not many people read the read-me.
  • Many times I ended up going way too fast in one direction, crashing. Maybe there should be some limit on horizontal speed.
  • The latter is a bug that, but I liked how it made the ship look going all hay-wire, so I kept it the way it was  Smiley.
    It happened to me once, I don't think it should be a feature, as it looks pretty bug-ish, IMO.
  • It's not very nice to restart the game every time the player looses, perhaps there should be some sort of restart screen or something.

I did like your game and enjoyed playing it but these are just my little pet peeves .

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 03:34:54 PM »

I just couldn't enjoy this, as I don't know what's going on far too often. I'm constantly moving across the screen horizontally at ridiculous speeds for no good reason. Sometimes I go off the edge of the screen and get dumped back to the main menu. I really like the concept, and the basic game mechanics but it definitely needs some polish.
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 03:18:31 AM »

I just couldn't enjoy this, as I don't know what's going on far too often. I'm constantly moving across the screen horizontally at ridiculous speeds for no good reason. Sometimes I go off the edge of the screen and get dumped back to the main menu. I really like the concept, and the basic game mechanics but it definitely needs some polish.
Sorry to here you had such a bad experience with the game. I admit the game has some playability issues.

Still, I think one of the fun parts of any arcade game is to find out what strategy gives the best results. A lot of the mechanisms I added to the game are based on a sort of 'common sense'. For example: it makes sense that grapplers will retract faster when you have no cargo attached (less inertia) and it makes sense that the angle at which your grappler hits the ground affects the direction in which you get a boost.

So, I hope you will give the game another try, but I do appreciate the feedback  Wink

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 04:26:30 AM »

I did enjoy it, a bit. It's just that the horizontal speed was really fast, about 3 times the vertical speed is after a bounce.
When it was working, and I was bouncing off the ground and grabbing booty, it was great. I don't mind the slow retracting, I agree that it makes sense, but sometimes they seemed to get stuck to the top left of the ship, and wouldn't come back in until I changed direction.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 05:56:31 AM »

I like it a LOT  Smiley. For some reason, I keep going back to it. There's some zen involved in keeping the ship in balance. Really nice. Reminds me of old arcade games I used to play, where practice allowed you to outlast the kids with the seemingly infinite pocket change. It's going in my permanent 'games' folder.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic