Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:11:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGOrbital Booty Interceptor [DEBUGGED VERSION]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Orbital Booty Interceptor [DEBUGGED VERSION]  (Read 23372 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »

I like this game. Bouncing around using the grappler arms is damn fun. Echoing earlier concerns, it seems to me too like the game breaks down unfairly and randomly at higher speeds. Sometimes the camera starts panning away before I hit the ground but when I still have astrogen to fire my grapplers to save myself, although I'm not sure if this might be due to stacked hobonuses. I'm also not a fan of the limp grappler arm "feature" like Ciardhubh, as in-game it feels more like a random brick wall than anything relating to my actions. Still, when I make a conscious effort to limit my speed, it is very fun to play. Great job! Grin

Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 05:54:29 AM »

In hindsight I should have put more effort in resolving the issue of the grapplers when they approach the ship but do not get within docking range. I can only promise that it used to be ten times worse.

All I can say to people having trouble now is: Try 'flying' a while with just one grappler, keeping one docked for counter-balancing if you feel the ship is going too fast. If you get comfortable, start using two grapplers. You can quickly pick up spent time by making use of the bootypliers (hang around one of the two Jazz joints for more 'baby dolls').

On another note, Czech please  Wink:
http://plnehry.idnes.cz/arkady/orbital-booty-interceptor.html
Seriously, does anyone know anyone who can translate it for me. I figured out that the last paragraph is about the general recurring piloting issue.

Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »

This has totally grown on me over the last 20 minutes. At first I found it extremely unwieldy, and couldn't help noticing the same bugs everyone else has mentioned. But I think there's real depth to the movement, once you get the hang of it. The limp grapplers thing is very annoying though. I imagined they would go all the way out until they hit something, then go all the way back until they're docked. It's not quite like that. You know, you still have two hours* of tweaking time! Anyway, I'm gonna have another go.

*make that 9 hours. Stupid different countries with their different time zones. All the more reason to tweak, tho :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:27:30 PM by Pip » Logged

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 03:16:21 PM »

Fun game except for the grapplers that don't finish reeling in, as mentioned.  Thing is it just feels wrong - the grappler can be so close that the object is already overlapping and yet it can't retract that final few pixels? 

Other than those moments though, this is a lot of fun and a really interesting mechanic.  Bouncing off of a grappling hook instead of the usual grab-and-swing-upwards is a cool twist.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »

Fun game except for the grapplers that don't finish reeling in, as mentioned.

By very popular demand*: I fixed the grappler reeling. It no longer limps when they are empty. It hardly limps when they are full. Download here and (in a few moments) in first post:

DOWNLOAD v101
Also improved readme a bit.

*) Also thanks Pip for that last post. You were absolutely right.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »

Awesome!  Totally 100% awesomer now, I love it.

If I was a nitpicking QA tester I'd mention that sometimes when the thing is going towards the left edge, the 'camera' pans all the way to the right and I'm screwed.  But still totally awesome!

Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »

That update really hit the spot. This game is so addictive.

I don't get random pans, it only happens when I'm drunk. There's a certain way of controlling the craft if you accidentally munch a bum which I really enjoy the challenge of. This has been the most fun paragraph I've written in quite some time.

One question: if I hit the ground, is it purely random whether the shield kicks in or not, or does it become more unlikely with time or something? It's just, sometimes I have enough astrogen for the shield to work but my ship just slide-explodes away anyway.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:52:00 PM by Pip » Logged

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 04:53:36 PM »

Oh, maybe I'm just getting too hammered and messing myself up.  That's totally possible, I didn't think of that at the time.

Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 01:27:46 AM »

One question: if I hit the ground, is it purely random whether the shield kicks in or not, or does it become more unlikely with time or something? It's just, sometimes I have enough astrogen for the shield to work but my ship just slide-explodes away anyway.
All I can say: it shouldn't. You do require a reasonable amount of astrogen to bounce. You may see some astrogen left when your ship is 'crashing', which means you didn't have enough. But perhaps there might be a collision bug there... GM isn't perfect with collision detection by default Sad

Does it perhaps happen when you have grappled something heavy?

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 07:37:13 PM »

This is a pretty original idea, so you certainly deserve credit for that. It was pretty fun, too, but I have two huge criticisms.

First of all, the women look a lot like men. Since there's such a big difference between the two, their gender should be obvious at a glance.

Secondly, I died when the camera went in the opposite direction of the ship. If this was supposed to be a side effect of alcohol, I think you overdid it. Drunkenness should cause severe screen shaking at most. Plus, it was really hard to avoid picking up alcoholics, since sometimes they appeared immediately after I used the grappler.

Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »

First of all, the women look a lot like men. Since there's such a big difference between the two, their gender should be obvious at a glance.
Did you perhaps play it in windowed mode? I left this functionaility because some people dislike full screen and insist playing it windowed. The game was designed for full screen though and in this mode, the difference is really obvious.

Secondly, I died when the camera went in the opposite direction of the ship. If this was supposed to be a side effect of alcohol, I think you overdid it. Drunkenness should cause severe screen shaking at most. Plus, it was really hard to avoid picking up alcoholics, since sometimes they appeared immediately after I used the grappler.
Perhaps I overdid it a bit. The effcet is just the screen swaying in two directions. Just like when you're drunk, you shouldn't try speeding around in this state. Just try and stay in one place Wink

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »

It took me a split second to tell whether a human was male or female, which made scanning the ground for women a little more difficult than it should have been. Perhaps you could make the women a little lighter and the men a little darker (or vice versa).

Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 03:42:20 AM »

It took me a split second to tell whether a human was male or female, which made scanning the ground for women a little more difficult than it should have been. Perhaps you could make the women a little lighter and the men a little darker (or vice versa).
Well, except for the slightly clashing cursor, the game is entirely based on the four color palette (colors in avatar, including white for background). Using a different hue or a lighter hued variant for women would really have messed up the style of the game.

I was wondering if anyone else felt that the appearance of the women should have stood out more strongly from the other 'units'?

Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 08:29:34 AM »

Personally, I never had this gender problem, although I always play fullscreen. Incidentally, the colour of the cursor does annoy me a bit, but I suppose going for a fifth colour was your only option really.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 03:15:14 PM »

I love the graphics on this one, but I'm afraid I didn't find the controls an enjoyable experience. I got fairly competent at them eventually, but still felt like I was fighting them constantly. Interesting gameplay, and definitely fits in with the title. Good stuff.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic