Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:24:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGViking Bazooka Bloodbath - *Complete*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Viking Bazooka Bloodbath - *Complete*  (Read 52717 times)
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 11:11:08 AM »

I love how the enemies fly back when they die.  Game Maker's great for stuff like this!
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »

Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad to see I wasn't working in vain.

I don't know if this is your programming genius or chaotic dynamics but the controls for this are so sick it's great.
That was my main goal. Good controls make a good game.

Please let some knight bodies stack up.
Fun as that sounds, they would probably just get in the way and make it difficult to see the still-living enemies.

Sometimes the viking can stand in mid-air just off the edge of platform.
I'll see if I have time to fiddle with collision detection.

I can't quite figure out what triggers laser-shotgun though, but I like how you had a different attack for up+z and stuff.
Laser-shotgun is left/right + z.

Also, GM6 alert!  Should probably patch it so us vista users can be happy.
True. Thanks for the reminder.

I don't like how he's not falling when I attack mid-air though.
You're not the only one who complained about this. I changed it so you fall while attacking now (only slower than normal).

i am impressed, when i did that massive beam that pushed the character back, i got a erection.
So did I, while I was programming it. Smiley

I'll post more responses when I have time.

C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »

I could play the demo for ages

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »

But you might want to consider assigning the jump ability to the 'x' button, and make the close combat automatic with 'z' when the character is in contact with an enemy (especially since you link some special moves with up-'z').
Well, there are some cases where you want to use a ranged attack up close, or a melee attack at a longer range, so I don't want to a control scheme like that. The up-z move is the only one tied to the up direction that's usable on the ground, and it has enough recoil to send you back to the ground pretty quickly anyways.

Also, you should make an enemy that fires projectiles, like an crossbowman or something, to prevent the player from just settling in a corner and repeatedly firing upwards(or you could make the up shot damaging to the player when it explodes, forcing him to stay on the move).
I would like to add more enemies. Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on this after this weekend, so I'll only add them as time permits. The up-shot is a little abusable, though, so I've tried to balance it. Now, if you spam it, you shoot fewer grenades.

I really like the large shot(shooting downwards is fun, try to lower the gravity a bit on the main character, could really open some styles there).
I edited the downwards shot so it can be combined with other aerial attacks much more easily. You're right; that opens many more options.

The "two hits" health system kinda reminds me of Halo, in so much as you only die if you sustain damage over a short period of time. What Halo has that you're missing though is feedback for when you're near to death. I think it'd really help to show more explicitly both when the player is hit, and when the player is one hit from death.
You're vulnerable for about a second after being hit. I'll add some feedback if I have time, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary, since you should be avoiding attacks anyway.

I could play the demo for ages
Glad to hear it. I don't have time to  put in a ton of content, so the replayability has to be a strong point.

Ataraxia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »

Doesn't work on my computer. Damn you Vista... always failing me. Always. always.... Sad
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »

I really liked it. Great selection of moves and attacks. Got about 380 for a highscore. Great job so far!  Smiley
alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 12:10:55 PM »

apply this patch to the .exe for great justice.  I think Mark Overmars should make this a law or something, or at least a patch for vista so it works automatically...grr
Ataraxia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »

apply this patch to the .exe for great justice.  I think Mark Overmars should make this a law or something, or at least a patch for vista so it works automatically...grr

Thank you!!! This game is incredibly fun!
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 02:04:43 PM »

Right Arm! Now I can play these games that just drink my processor!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 05:58:17 PM »

Any idea how to make it run in Windows Vista? :\ I've got that silly admin thing disabled (or enabled or whatever it is that stops it being silly), but running the EXE... does nothing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 06:03:21 PM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 06:27:15 PM »

Any idea how to make it run in Windows Vista? :\ I've got that silly admin thing disabled (or enabled or whatever it is that stops it being silly), but running the EXE... does nothing.
Download the patch mentioned a few posts back if you want to play the demo. Otherwise, just wait until the final release- I'll patch it myself.

By the way, it's great to see all these positive responses. I just wish I had more time to really polish the game.  Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »

I have a few ideas for different game modes:
Survival - Fight waves of enemies. Try to kill as many as possible.
Coin - Collect coins that fall in the arena while avoiding enemies.
Lightning - Kill 100 enemies as quickly as possible.
Thor - You're invincible. Kill as many enemies as possible in two minutes.

Does anyone have other ideas for game modes? Or any suggestions in general? I ought to be finished by this time tomorrow, so this will be one of the last opportunities to hear suggestions.

alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »

Given that it's got bloodbath in the title, it would be awesome if you could implement a 'sea of blood' system like in bloody zombies.  Maybe not so excessive but it would be soo cool to bazooka-surf in dead English knights' blood.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »

Then the conflict could be that you want out of the pit, can't climb very good, but are great at swimming in the blood of your enemies!  :D

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 06:34:40 PM »

I'm not a big fan of gore, so I wouldn't count on seeing anything like that.

And yes, I see the irony in not including blood in a game with the word 'Bloodbath' in the title.  Roll Eyes

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 08:14:33 PM »

Viking Bazooka Bloodbath is complete!

Download it here!

I'm going on vacation on the 20th, so please share your thoughts while I still have time to make changes. In particular, I'd like to know how well you scored in the different modes, and whether or not unlocking new modes was too easy or difficult.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 12:27:42 PM by Nightshade » Logged

Zaphos
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 11:47:26 PM »

Viking Bazooka Bloodbath is complete!

Download it here!

I'm going on vacation on the 20th, so please share your thoughts while I still have time to make changes. In particular, I'd like to know how well you scored in the different modes, and whether or not unlocking new modes was too easy or difficult.
It froze up on me while some guys were flying through the air; I think probably right before a new wave came.
Overall it seems neat, but the interaction lacks a certain 'weight' when blows actually make contact, since the animation goes through just the same as if there was no contact and there's no kickback or anything.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 12:52:50 AM »

no bloodbath make me sad.

anyway cool little time waster Wink

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »

Just a quick little reply, here's the things I think you could improve:
  • Froze up on me too, what's the deal with that?
  • You can kill a whole side of a wave by standing under it and attacking up with "x".
  • I can't really tell when I'm hit.

Besides that I'm utterly in love with the game  Grin

Edit: It keeps on crashing.. Sad
Edit2: It keeps on breaking my heart.. Cry
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:26:15 AM by Massena » Logged

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »

hehe, that was awesome, definitely a very fun play, and for such a simple concept you can get so much out of it with the different modes. Good stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic