Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:47:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGViking Bazooka Bloodbath - *Complete*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Viking Bazooka Bloodbath - *Complete*  (Read 52857 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »

Here is a newer version that (hopefully) fixes the bug that caused the game to freeze.

If it happens again, make sure to tell me your computer's specs and the circumstances which caused the error.

cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »

I love it! The game froze on me as well. I think it has something to do with the music because it always went silent a few seconds before the game froze.

(note I haven't tried the new version yet)

Edit: Played for quite a bit without getting the freeze. Completed the game at 83% Smiley
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 03:02:35 PM by cactus » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2008, 05:50:47 PM »

Did anyone try the new version yet? And did it run glitch-free?

Cactus: 83% is pretty good. Which modes haven't you perfected yet?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:13:45 PM by Nightshade » Logged

Zaphos
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »

Here is a newer version that (hopefully) fixes the bug that caused the game to freeze.

If it happens again, make sure to tell me your computer's specs and the circumstances which caused the error.
Doesn't freeze for me anymore, although the first round I played it didn't tell me how many kill I got when I died, and the stage select page looked as if I hadn't played at all Sad
But after that it worked fine.  Fun game.  It would be nice if there was some visual indication of when exactly you're 'vulnerable' (have taken one hit, will die on the next) and when you can take a hit without dying.  Also, would be nice to have some indication of what you have to do to unlock a stage.
Robert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »

Doesn't freeze for me anymore, although the first round I played it didn't tell me how many kill I got when I died, and the stage select page looked as if I hadn't played at all Sad

Ah yeah this happened to me, I just assumed that I exited from the stage the first time I played it. Worked fine when I played the stage again though.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26:47 PM »

I think that bug has finally been squashed. What a relief!

Overall it seems neat, but the interaction lacks a certain 'weight' when blows actually make contact, since the animation goes through just the same as if there was no contact and there's no kickback or anything.
If I work on it after the competition is over, this would be a great thing to add.

You can kill a whole side of a wave by standing under it and attacking up with "x".
This really only works on survival mode- but I'll still try to make the knights less abusable when they enter the arena.

I can't really tell when I'm hit.
I should have time to add some indicator before I go. I'm considering making the character flash, but some might misinterpret that for a moment of invincibility, rather than a moment of weakness.

Doesn't freeze for me anymore, although the first round I played it didn't tell me how many kill I got when I died, and the stage select page looked as if I hadn't played at all
This is really odd, since it's never happened to me. I'll see if I can find what's causing this problem, but I don't know if I'll have time to fix it.

Also, would be nice to have some indication of what you have to do to unlock a stage.
Basically, you just need to get better scores on the stages where you don't have many stars.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:29:25 PM by Nightshade » Logged

Zaphos
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2008, 11:08:04 PM »

Basically, you just need to get better scores on the stages where you don't have many stars.
I understand that; it would just be nice to know what scores I'm shooting for.
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 06:25:54 AM »

Thanks! It doesn't crash anymore and I'm having a blast beating the whole game, nice work! Can I know what the bug was?

BTW: 469 kills on the third stage of survival mode, BEAT THAT!  Grin

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 08:08:34 AM »

very nice little game, I really like the way it is scaled and the reward system.
I wouldn't hesitate to say of this game that it is "perfect". Kiss
I'm still at 93% but getting closer, the coins are the most difficult though.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 02:50:10 PM »

I understand that; it would just be nice to know what scores I'm shooting for.
To unlock a new stage, you generally need to earn one star on the mode's previous level, and two stars on that same level in the previous mode. For example, to unlock the second coin arena, you need to earn two stars in the second survival arena, and one star in the first coin arena. New modes can also be unlocked by earning a high enough game score.

Thanks! It doesn't crash anymore and I'm having a blast beating the whole game, nice work! Can I know what the bug was?
The music player didn't close properly when you left a level.

BTW: 469 kills on the third stage of survival mode, BEAT THAT!
I'll do my best.  Smiley

I wouldn't hesitate to say of this game that it is "perfect".
Thanks. "Perfect" is a pretty hard compliment to top. Wink

I'll add one more version later tonight. It will have a few minor improvements, such as flashing while hit.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

I like to use the term "perfect" for little games that have limited ambitions but which deliver perfectly what they're supposed to.
It's to describe the level of completeness and self-sustainability Smiley

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 03:14:53 PM »

I like to use the term "perfect" for little games that have limited ambitions but which deliver perfectly what they're supposed to.
It's to describe the level of completeness and self-sustainability
I would agree with that - this game is very fun and addictive, and maintains a very nice charm.  Lightning Mode is by far the hardest (I usually die before killing 100 enemies), and Coin Mode is my favorite.  In it, you not only get to hone your bazooka-shooting skills, but also hone your Viking pillaging skills.  Unlike many games with the idea of "absolute perfection," this game gives a very satisfying feeling when you successfully get the gold for a level.

I would have liked to have seen a third enemy, but I think the archers and regular knights fit together well.

To all:  I wrote the module music for this.  The piece is titled "Berserker's Big Gun Slugfest."  I'm glad to see the other audio fit nicely with the music (and with the overall game).

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 03:31:42 PM »

Here is my final release. There are only a few changes from the last version: you flash when hit, lightning mode is scored slightly harder, a few minor bugs were fixed, and there are extra goals for experts to shoot for (I'll let you discover them on your own).

By the way, to transfer your old scores to the new version, simply copy and paste the contents of viking_control.ini.

Robert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 05:26:05 PM »

Love the way he flashes when hit, plays much nicer now for n00bs like me. Smiley Great balance between moving and firing. I found that coupled with the damage model makes it totally manic but not *too* impossible - and I always appreciate games which let you kick lots of arse easily! Has the same kind of feeling of power vs. the legions of foes as the Mark of Kri.

Great pillaging of iconic English foes too. Be awesome to see Winston Churchill, Mr Bean and the Spice Girls as bosses in the sequel... Wink
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2008, 03:39:16 AM »

To all:  I wrote the module music for this.  The piece is titled "Berserker's Big Gun Slugfest."  I'm glad to see the other audio fit nicely with the music (and with the overall game).

Congrats! It really fits in very nicely!

Here is my final release. There are only a few changes from the last version: you flash when hit, lightning mode is scored slightly harder, a few minor bugs were fixed, and there are extra goals for experts to shoot for (I'll let you discover them on your own).

By the way, to transfer your old scores to the new version, simply copy and paste the contents of viking_control.ini.

And so you end, with a very classy game and two days to spare. Bravo sir, Bravo!  Grin

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2008, 03:59:56 AM »

This game really has a complete feel to it, and it's entertaining. I like it Smiley

One issue though: it's very hard to play on a QWERTZ keyboard since Z and X are so far apart.
Zaphos
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2008, 04:27:50 AM »

And so you end, with a very classy game and two days to spare. Bravo sir, Bravo!  Grin
... competition ends on the 24th, though  Huh?
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »

@Messana:
Thanks!  Glad you liked the music!  I was at first trying to emulate NES sound, but later decided to change up some of the waveforms to give it more tone color.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »

Great pillaging of iconic English foes too. Be awesome to see Winston Churchill, Mr Bean and the Spice Girls as bosses in the sequel... Wink
That's certainly a possibility.

Congrats! It really fits in very nicely!
It's great to have composer friends, because I couldn't write music if my life depended on it.

And so you end, with a very classy game and two days to spare. Bravo sir, Bravo!
Thanks, although I really didn't have any time to spare. I'm on vacation right now, posting from a hotel computer. Yesterday was the final day I could work on VBB.

One issue though: it's very hard to play on a QWERTZ keyboard since Z and X are so far apart.
Sorry about that. I can't do anything about it now, but if I ever continue work on this, I'll allow the controls to be customized.

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »

... competition ends on the 24th, though  Huh?

Touché  :D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic