Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:36:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGaruda
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Garuda  (Read 2114 times)
Kevin
« on: June 17, 2010, 04:20:02 PM »

Garuda

Alright, I've been at this long enough I think it's time for a devlog.

Garuda is a contra styled run 'n' gun. As yet, there's little to say about the project. I have a pretty functional engine and a decent number of the visual assets finished (for one stage at least). I'm enjoying working on it for now and making steady, if slow, progress. As I've not given any consideration to plot, and the concept should be pretty familiar to anyone who's played Contra/Metal Slug/any platformer involving guns and explosions, I'll let the pictures speak for me. Click for full size.

Screens:

The tiles are particularly inspired by Contra 4, but don't necessarily look anything like that game.

Video:

Concepts:

Player Character:

Gun-arm was abandoned in favor of actual hands.

"Ultraman" generic enemy:

Different style entirely, and crap, but it gave me something to work with for the sprites. He looks kind of like an old, ugly, communist Megaman, hence the name. He comes in red, green, blue and orange so far. Also, Arctic varieties.

Feedback is encouraged. Criticism, suggestions, requests, whatever you've got. The gameplay is not revolutionary, and it is what it is. I like classic, hard-ish action platforms, so you get what's promised. ♥
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 11:37:16 AM by Kevin » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »

Likey. Also, "Ultraman" variations based on other gaming icon tropes would be hella cool; like a red/gray ProtoMan, a red/blue Mario, a green/brown Link, or a red/red Knuckles. Keep us posted! Smiley

laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »

Looks really fun.  There appears to be a nice variety of enemies, each having distinct behaviors.  I imagine there's gonna be some powerups implemented or something.  And you pretty much have to make a spread gun.
Kevin
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:23 PM »

And you pretty much have to make a spread gun.
Oh hell yes spread gun is in. Like contra, I plan to make this impossible to beat without it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:35:26 PM by Kevin » Logged
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 02:41:28 AM »

those pixels are sweet as. I'm looking forward to this; good simple fun Smiley

jay
Level 0

Spray it, don't say it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:17:38 AM »

This looks great, look forward to seeing where you go with it.

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:50:00 AM »

This looks really nice.
I hope you add a few interesting elements to set it apart, though.
Don't misunderstand; I love Contra. But it's nice when you give some reasons to play your game instead of the original sources of inspiration.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Ravey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 07:44:14 AM »

Looks like it's shaping up nicely. The sky colour of the jungle makes me think it should be more day-time-y, though.

Made a few changes:

* Hue shifted sky and ground, highlights pop more.
* Tried to blend background elements
* Brighter characters and sky
* HUD still has a golden look, but avoids yellow (more peachy?)

Those projectiles remind me of Flashback, it had lots of similar effects. Might be worth checking out. Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

/

Edit: Went back and messed with the HUD colours. I use an old CRT, so eventually I'll check this on a normal LCD.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:51:35 AM by Ravey » Logged
namre
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 08:16:59 AM »

Wait... Is the main character a bird or something? Like a experiment gone-bad bird or something? Haha. It looks sweet!

Watched the video and it looks great. The boss battle reminds me of the many bosses of Metal Slug series.
Kevin
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »

Thanks, everyone.

It's nice when you give some reasons to play your game instead of the original sources of inspiration.
I'm sure I'll come up with something, because if I can't then everyone should just play Contra. I'm stressing the similarities more as a joke, because everything's so generic at the moment.

Made a few changes:

Ravey, that looks a lot nicer. Thanks! I'll be working on this.

Like a experiment gone-bad bird or something?

This exactly.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic