Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:39:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessContacts for Indies
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Contacts for Indies  (Read 3212 times)
dbltnk
Level 0

Alexander Zacherl

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:58:18 AM »

Hello everybody. You don't know me. And I don't know most of you. That sucks and I want to change this. First of all: Yes, I did post an introduction in the sticky thread. Feel free to read and abuse it. =D From now on, I'll be around here more actively and stop lurking.

Why I'm here today: I've got a pet project in my mind that I've been trying to get started for some time. I talked about this with a few fellow developers down here and as the response was very positive, I'd like to expand on this. I'd be glad if you'd take the time, read those few lines and tell me if and how we could get this to work.

Contacts  for Indies

What's that?
Contacts for Indies is a invitation-only contact list for independent game developers. It has contacts for press/media, portals, contests and platform holders.

Where's the sense in that?
Every independent developer has to talk to a lot of people to get his games out into the wild and to get people to know and play them. This is a lot of work. And nobody can do this work for from us. But a large part of this job is just plain and simple research, mostly googling and cold calls. I propose that we help each other out and share our contacts in one location, to keep them up-to-date and correct at all time. This could save each of us a lot of time that we can then use to improve on our games and/or relations with those guys on the list.

Who are you, why do I propose this and what do you have to offer?
I'm one of three ex-students who recently formed a small development studio named Bit Barons in Munich, Germany. We've been working on our first game (Astroslugs, a light-hearted puzzler developed with Unity) since last summer and we're now getting closer and closer to the game's release date. For this reason I've been gathering contacts for press and portals for about half a year. Recently I've brought those lists in a better form and saw that they - while they are pretty large - have still a lot of white space. I am going to do a lot of research over the next few weeks. And I know that this has both been done before countless times and will be done again countless times. There's a lot of time wasted on this in any indie studio. And I thought that maybe we could change that.

Why should I participate? I've got all my contacts together. They are my business capital and I don't want to share them.
a) To help out other indies. Because it's nice and the right thing to do.
b) Because no one has all the contacts and noone knows everybody. Even if you'll only gain 10 more contacts, these could be the guys who could help you tip over the edge and make your game a success. There will be people on the list that you have never thought of contacting. For example: I've got a pretty complete overview of all german games-biz journalists that I'm happy to share. Ever thought of contacting those guys? No? Yeah, I thought so. =D
c) Because updating your contacts is a lot of work and we can all save a lot of time if we go all-out wisdom-of-the-crowds and keep each other updated about changes in who is in charge at magazines, portals etc.

How do we do it?
As simple as possible. My current plan is to use a shared google spreadsheet. Everyone who got an invitation can update it. It has a version history so if someone should accidently delete or overwrite valid information, we can revert it at any time. If anyone has a better solution/idea: tell me.

Why invitation-only and not visible for anyone?
To protect the people on the list from spam. It has a reason why most journalists or business guys don't have their e-mail adress and telephone numbers visible on the web. They get a lot of mails and calls all the time. We don't want to make this worse by making their contact information public. But we want those who are in need of this contacts and who have a legit reason for calling (i. e. fellow indies) to be able to reach them.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:44:36 AM »

Seems like a good idea.

One concern I have - hopefully not insurmountable - is that sharing contact details for people without their consent might annoy some of them. As you point out, some of them don't publish this data and that's a choice they make for a reason.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 08:33:51 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left

dbltnk
Level 0

Alexander Zacherl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »

@bateleur
You're definitely right. Here comes our moral obligation: Share only with people that you know will not bore / abuse those contacts. Publish only those contacts that you think will be interested in what your fellow indies have to tell. Any ideas on how to find the sweet spot between being elitist and open for everybody?
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »

First off:

1) Why not ask the contact in question if they want their contact information available for anyone to see?

2) For the 'who gets in' process, the easiest way, I suppose, would to just have applicants send in their 'best work' along with a description of it and themselves. It will be easy to tell if the applicant in question is serious from such, and it will keep the approval process from taking too long for a single individual.

dbltnk
Level 0

Alexander Zacherl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:18:40 AM »

1) Good idea. I think I'm gonna do just that.

2) Combined with a "you have to be promoted by someone who is already in"-policy maybe.

For anyone who wants to contribute: Please send me a mail to [email protected] and we'll talk about setting you up. Let's get this thing started and then iterate until we achieve perfection. =D
namre
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 06:02:11 AM »

For example: I've got a pretty complete overview of all german games-biz journalists that I'm happy to share. Ever thought of contacting those guys? No? Yeah, I thought so. =D

This argument made me realize the feasibility of your proposal. But yeah, I also agree with the posts of others that the contacts need to be informed first of the plan before you go share them.

A good way to do it is to set the project up as a group community representing indies and make that group and its purpose known to all present and future contacts. This way if they ask where you got their contact from, you would say, I'm part of THE group and everything would be okay since that group has already asked for permission for their contact.

Am I making sense?
ZOMGBananas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 10:05:44 PM »

This sounds like a really good idea. Promoting and marketing can be a difficult process for those without the know-how or experience.

Forgive me if it's already been covered, but beside sharing contacts between people, will there be any other ways for media outlets to be added to the list?

I try to write about games - http://zomgindie.com
dbltnk
Level 0

Alexander Zacherl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:50:39 AM »

I think it would be nice to have a public list that only shows what media / portals are on the list, one that has no direct contact information. We could also set that up via google docs, but it would require some hand work to keep it updated.
MrGando
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »

Sounds like a very nice idea. Count with me.  Smiley

Lead Programmer
Gando Games
Twitter
dbltnk
Level 0

Alexander Zacherl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 03:08:40 AM »

If you want to get in just messenge me in Skype (dbltnk) / ICQ (107121815) / MSN ([email protected]) / gTalk ([email protected]) / YIM ([email protected]) or Facebook. Then we'll talk and I'll add you to the google doc.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic