Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411277 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:48:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGMega Spatula Fury (Final demo... An honorable defeat? :D)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mega Spatula Fury (Final demo... An honorable defeat? :D)  (Read 13925 times)
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2008, 04:25:17 PM »

March 9:

March 11: FIRST DEMO!
March 12: SECOND DEMO!
March 14: THIRD DEMO!
March 15: FOURTH DEMO!
March 23: FINAL DEMO.

My other game was just a warmup to see how I could make a character that can walk around on the screen. (It's done but will premiere on www.albinoblacksheep.com after the weekend.) So now I'm ready to make the game that I originally wanted to do but wasn't sure if my ActionScript skills were up to scratch!

Genre: Side scrolling platformer

Program: Flash MX

Synopsis: An overworked spatula-jockey at McDonald's (yes, I'm violating copyright here) flips out and kills his supervisor with a spatula. But now there is no turning back, and he goes on a spatula rampage through the kitchen, the restaurant, the play area, and the drive thru & car park, taking on a "boss" at the end of each area, until he must face his arch-nemesis... the evil corporate clown himself!

Or I might have too much other work to do and not get it done. Lips Sealed But I'm recycling some of the code that I used for the character control in Furry Punching Nitro.

Please let me know if this game is already being done by someone else, for the competition! It's not a terribly original concept, I know. :3 But it'll be fun, even if there's two games of it, in two different genres.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:42:58 PM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:45:36 PM »

Any game that lets you stab Ronald McDonald with a spatula is worth playing.

Can I have a print of that poster?

Also...PLEASE MAKE FURRY PUNCHING NITRO!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:48:30 PM by Metroidvaniac » Logged
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »

Also...PLEASE MAKE FURRY PUNCHING NITRO!

You mean... an intro involving furries punching things and/or being punched?

Is...

sorta what you're thinking of?

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 05:27:22 PM »

Nitro, not Intro!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1301.0

Metroidvaniac: I have made FPN! It's coming out in a day or so. Stay tuned.  Smiley Also sure you can print off that poster if you want, or you can wait for the full colour remake and I'll email it to you in high quality. But I won't be doing fancypants art like that until the game itself is finished. :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 05:29:08 PM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 04:07:39 AM »

I doubt I'll get this finished by the deadline, so I'll be showing my progress because I'm learning so freaking much every day!

Hooray! He can walk and jump and stuff. FIRST DEMO!

Tomorrow: more weapons, and maybe implementing walls that stop him and tables for him to land on.

Possibly I might come up with a name for him too. :3
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:38:08 AM »

nice animation dude v impressive, hope you pull something together.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:43:48 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 06:44:19 AM »

Do want! Smiley

TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 04:13:35 AM »

SECOND DEMO!

The upper body can be controlled independently of the legs (although they're attached, of course), meaning that you can toss your patties and swish your spatula while running or jumping.
The idea is to hit the airbourne patties with your spatula as if you were playing meat patty table tennis.
You can pick up patties off the floor to use them again (just like all McDonald's kitchen staff, ha ha) just by stepping on them.

But argh! I didn't get any of the "wall/floor" interaction done today, because I had to teach myself how to use arrays in Flash. I found actual typos in the example code in the help topic. Yikes. Confusing.
Yet my array-based ammo thingy didn't work, so I taught myself (again via the ever so useful help topic built into Flash) how to create and destroy multiple instances of objects via code rather than copypasting in the timeline.

Next up is to deal with walls, floors, and tabletops.

Then enemies.

Oh boy.

Lips Sealed
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 04:45:56 AM »

March 14: THIRD DEMO!

Don't worry, it'll get more violent than this.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 06:18:19 PM »

haha, that's looking pretty good, force-feeding people patties is a pretty neat gameplay idea.

TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 06:02:16 AM »

Heh, actually you just hit people with the patties and that injures them. This will be made more obvious by patty splatter effects that I'll add later. Right now I'm just building the main guts of what needs to be done for the game to work. Frills later!

And now: DEMO 4!
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 06:45:37 AM »

This is fantastic. The tennis like pattie hitting is great.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 04:11:57 AM »

I won't update until the deadline, now. It won't be anywhere near playably finished (each time I add something a whole swarm of bugs appears and it takes all day to fix them! Cry ) but rest assured there will be spatulas, and there will be fury.  Cool
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 10:41:12 PM »

FINAL DEMO.

Wow. What a lot I learned while making this.

This project will be ongoing and I'll post it on these forums W.I.D., but I won't release more progress updates now. I've got "platforms" to implement, a buttload of characters to add, and some bugs to put duct-tape over the top of.
If anyone's interested in doing voice acting for the characters (lots of yelling, screaming, battlecries and death-rattles) email me (frencheroticfilm @ gmail dot com). Same goes for musicians who can do better than the piece of music I picked for this demo.  Tongue

You can't get past Percy or Cheryl without killing them first. You can get past Daryl if you keep jumping rather than walking. There's a fun thing on the wall in the background at the far right of the map.

I've disabled* the spatula guy's health so that you can take a beating but not die.

*neglected to implement  Wink
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 11:37:13 PM »

songstowearpantsto.com has a song titled "Half Your Daily Intake of Fat"

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 03:11:30 AM »

Fun, really linear but fun. I liked the easter egg at the end. Really well animated, the last guy seems a bit hard to kill, though.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 03:14:41 AM »

Wesley Willis for the win.

Your animations are amazing! Shocked
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »

Wesley Willis for the win.

lol I was just about to post that.

I love Birdman Whupped My Ass :D

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »

Excellent graphics, but a little short. I found myself just waving my spatula like crazy until everyone was dead, but that was probably more to do with my poor gaming skills. Good stuff.

ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 09:12:47 PM »

I thought it was cool how you seemed to randomly catch the burgers thrown at you and could then sling them back.  It's fun and I'd like to see it change to a different sort of perspective after you left the burger place, like an Ikari Warriors style view where you could wander around town.  It might be easier for you to draw, as well.  Nice work!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic