Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411947 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58481 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 12, 2024, 10:24:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Hand-drawn Art in Games
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Hand-drawn Art in Games  (Read 7560 times)
AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »

I think you can use any resolution you want - you can make the swf window any size as far as I know. The one I'm working on is 640x480.

Oh I know that, but I mean I don't want people with an 800x600 resolution screen being unable to play my game because the resolution of the game is too wide, so I made the game's resolution fit the size of the smallest screen resolution, so that people aren't unable to play it simply because of that.

Thing is, I don't know how many people actually HAVE that resolution anymore, other than people on tiny laptops / netbooks, so I don't know how much it actually matters. If it doesn't matter too much, then I'll probably shift it to a wider resolution.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 08:43:38 AM »

talented/obscene

I am intrigued.  Noir

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 10:01:04 PM »

I'm actually working on a 1000x600 Flash game right now with completely hand-drawn artwork by a pretty talented/obscene artist from the US. It'll actually be released pretty soon, so I'll finally get to show it off.
My favourite resolution of image to draw in is multiples of 1000x700, is thereabouts a common thing?

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 11:26:27 PM »

my only REAL project at the moment (being untouched for the last xy weeks) has all graphics hand drawn by me. which would normally suck, but somehow i managed to make everything look at least half decent, yay.

AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 06:44:58 AM »

my only REAL project at the moment (being untouched for the last xy weeks) has all graphics hand drawn by me. which would normally suck, but somehow i managed to make everything look at least half decent, yay.

That's what I'm doing with my current project as well - I've found it surprisingly easier than working with other types of graphics. I started off with it hand-drawn, then scanned it, then went over it in Photoshop (I would have just either painted or coloured it then scanned and used it, but being colour blind and all that jazz just makes me mess up colours when they aren't clearly labelled - more often that not, I colour the sky purple).

It's also a good way to keep the momentum of development going, in the sense that when I'm away from the computer I can still work on the art, and then when I get back to it I haven't had a gap in development.

So far (doing on a laptop, sans graphics tablet for now):

...to...

I think I'm doing an okay job for the time being. Clearly, not everything has been converted yet, nor finished (shading and whatnot), but I like the tree on the right the most.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 08:31:24 AM »

I like the varied coloration on the brick wall, and in general the way each shape has a single color. It's classy.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 11:25:36 AM »

Digging the shapes right now. However, I'd recommend taking a look outside at your lawn and see what exact colors the trees are. We're taught from an early age that grass is green, the sky is blue, and that trees are bright green and dark brown, but that's not necessarily true.

I spent two months out at a summer camp, and I spent a lot of that time looking at trees. What surprised me the most is that most tree trunks aren't actually dark brown.

What I noticed was that there was actually a lot of gray in the trunk color- some bluish-grey trunks, some reddish-grey, and some that were just plain white. Take a step back and think about what specific kind of tree you're drawing here- it's easy for artists to rely on the stock image, the symbol that we have come to accept as a tree. The problem is that this is a symbol, and therefore generic; to become a symbol, it has to be used by tons of people, and that means that it's not original. I noticed I was doing this too in my comics, so I started sketching real trees to see what they look like. I hope that this helps, I want to see what the rest of your game looks like.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 11:51:21 AM »

Only just saw this thread, but Rayman Origins has some pretty mediocre animation. Looks too paperdoll-ish and lazy to me :\
AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »

Digging the shapes right now. However, I'd recommend taking a look outside at your lawn and see what exact colors the trees are. We're taught from an early age that grass is green, the sky is blue, and that trees are bright green and dark brown, but that's not necessarily true.

http://yovia.com/blogs/1milliontrees/files/2009/06/dancin-tree.jpg

I spent two months out at a summer camp, and I spent a lot of that time looking at trees. What surprised me the most is that most tree trunks aren't actually dark brown.

http://www.treehugger.com/tree-grows-bike-small.jpg

What I noticed was that there was actually a lot of gray in the trunk color- some bluish-grey trunks, some reddish-grey, and some that were just plain white. Take a step back and think about what specific kind of tree you're drawing here- it's easy for artists to rely on the stock image, the symbol that we have come to accept as a tree. The problem is that this is a symbol, and therefore generic; to become a symbol, it has to be used by tons of people, and that means that it's not original. I noticed I was doing this too in my comics, so I started sketching real trees to see what they look like. I hope that this helps, I want to see what the rest of your game looks like.

Yeah, I would, but they just look brown to me - again, I'm colourblind, I'm not really seeing these subtle "red-grey" colours, but I have no doubt that you're right. Cheers for the info though, I'll get around to changing it eventually Smiley

Although at the moment it's got a sort of... surreal feeling to it, and the game itself has Eversion-esque environment changes, with the dark area being mainly grayscale mixed with bright reds, to make a sharp contrast between the two different areas. Overall, I'm going for rather "extreme" colour schemes in each area, where nothing feels quite real to the player in order to make the game unsettling.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »

i try to doodle as much as possible in my games.  Gentleman
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 01:13:58 AM »

Ragnarok Battle Offline has some really nice hand-drawn graphics...

(They look quite a bit better in motion.)

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 02:01:23 AM »

I once worked on a game in a children's drawing style (pencil crayon):
http://pixelcuriosities.com/paperrpg/prpg.html
if you can speak german here the full story: http://pixelcuriosities.com/paperrpg/zfxCON05s13.pdf
the gfx was made by some elementary school pupils and me... I am so ashamed that i couldn't finish it because of my overambitiousness. For the character animations (animation looks not that good in the video, but it looks ok in realtime) i used simple rough planar 3D meshes on which I projected the drawings. Then I keyframe animated the rough mesh - this approach is IMO very fast and easier than segmenting the drawing into body parts...

is a nice mockup some people developed for "Game Concept Challenge 09" with a similar style.

I think a non-photo-realistic look is the way of making worlds believable even to a gaming averse audience.

is a great example of a great alternative (not drawn but woven ^^) non-photo-realistic look.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:22:36 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic