Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:08:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat do you use to create and animate sprites?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: What do you use to create and animate sprites?  (Read 47276 times)
RCIX
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »

What do you use to create and animate sprites?
Jasc paint shop pro 7 + Jasc animation shop
I sued to use those for a loooong while, but the inaccuracy issues (selection was funky and colors wouldnt always paint on edges of the selection) caused me to eventually abandon it.

Using photoshop would be completely out-of-the-question. It just loads too slow and is too damn clunky. Screw Adobe, they must have some of the worst programmers ever.
It has more features in it's pinky toe than PSP has in it's whole body Tongue so it's kind of understandable why it's so slow.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 09:52:18 PM »

I use Paint Shop Pro 7 and Animation Shop 3. I've got CS4, but I still can't bring myself to use them for pixel art - honestly, I prefer the simplistic interface and features when it comes to something that small. My number one complaint is the line tool. Anybody who has used PSP7 will agree with me on this - you have to click like half a pixel off in order to get the right line, making it nigh impossible to draw lines accurately.
Animation Shop 3 is a pretty awful program actually, as it constantly second-guess how much memory you have and assumes you're running a computer from 2000 (when it came out). "You can't possibly import that animation, sir, it might be too big!" That said, I'm most comfortable with it anyway, and I have yet to find another program I can adjust to for animation.
I'm actually quite surprised how many people have said they're using the same setup (here or otherwise).
Johan Peitz
Level 1

88 mph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 01:10:05 AM »

I've been using ProMotion for ages. It has some heavy heritage from the old DeluxePaint days which suits me perfectly. has all the needed tools like onion skinning and the like. Actually, I don't know if it is still possible to get. I looked at Cosmigo's web page (the company that made ProMotion) but there was nothing about it anymore...

RayRayTea
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 04:07:20 AM »

I'm using ProMotion too, very happy with it.

Just checked it - the Cosmigo's page doesn't have it anymore (in fact I can't access Cosmigo's page at all)... Hopefully it's just a glitch.
Irrational
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 08:41:08 PM »

Looks like it's there now.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 07:24:49 PM »

I use game makers built in sprite editor, I find that usually it has everything I need (except for the disappointing default colour picker).
Pinback
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »

I use Photoshop CS4 (I find it's faster and more versatile for sprites than Paint), but I almost invariably start with a scanned pencil sketch for the outline. I do some concepts in ink for reference first too if the sprite is something important.
JoGribbs
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 10:32:45 AM »

GraphicsGale.

If I need to test animation I'll paste the frames into Game Maker.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »

GraphicsGale.

If I need to test animation I'll paste the frames into Game Maker.

Seconded. It's nice that combining Graphics Gale and Game Maker you have the option of creating an actual .gif with frames, or you can create a sprite sheet in .png, then load it into game maker and cut it into sprites of the correct size for animation purposes.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 03:38:44 PM »

MSPaint
Plattfisk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 08:36:19 AM »

For animation in particular, I made my own. Other than for animation it's... Er... Not great, but functional. I just needed a basic pixel program with animation preview and didn't wanna pay for Gale.
One of these days I'll stop being lazy and add undo to it... Facepalm
For non-animated I use MSPaint or mtPaint.
facepalm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »

I'm waiting for someone to post "Clay."  Blink

I half-do!  Smiley

Not really related to sprites but.. First I create normal maps for different body parts from models created using clay and then procedurally animate them by using a physics engine and custom animation tools.

I once used to use an app called Anime Studio. It might be something you're looking for.

Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »

I used to use the Paint Shop Pro 4 shareware version to create art. That was, until I upgraded to a 64-bit Windows 7 system, which can't run 16-bit applications without using XP compatibility mode. So I upgraded to Paint Shop Pro 7, which to be honest, aside from multiple undo levels and having doesn't have much new. And in the process they screwed up the selection tools, so they sometimes add or subtract pixels around the selected area with the rectangle select tool even if it looks like it'll be correct before you let go of the mouse (and you're zoomed in enough so there's zero chance to make a selection mistake). But I still use PSP7 for some reason, despite that.

And I've tried Graphics Gale, but the lack of CTRL and Shift modifiers on clicks, in addition to right-click that picks colors or selects areas have annoyed me for some reason. It has some nice features, but the interface is holding me back.

Pro Motion looks neat, but I haven't sat down and messed around with it enough. It seems really cool though.

Photoshop is too bulky for pixel art. Even on my bleeding-edge new computer, it still feels like a ton of weight despite having reasonable response time to mouse strokes and stuff. I use it for larger non-pixel scenes, however.

GIMP has a lot of neat tools and animation, but it also suffers from a fair deal of bulk and the interface is terrible. So I avoid that.

And I usually hand-script my animations and preview them inside a game engine. Typically, only when I'm looking for outside help do I create gif images, which are usually made and previewed with Animation Shop or Image Ready.

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »

And in the process they screwed up the selection tools, so they sometimes add or subtract pixels around the selected area with the rectangle select tool even if it looks like it'll be correct before you let go of the mouse (and you're zoomed in enough so there's zero chance to make a selection mistake).
If you drag a selection box from its bottom-right to its top-left, the box does indeed do really weird stuff. It's fine from top-left to bottom-right, though.
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 07:44:17 AM »

And in the process they screwed up the selection tools, so they sometimes add or subtract pixels around the selected area with the rectangle select tool even if it looks like it'll be correct before you let go of the mouse (and you're zoomed in enough so there's zero chance to make a selection mistake).
If you drag a selection box from its bottom-right to its top-left, the box does indeed do really weird stuff. It's fine from top-left to bottom-right, though.
I agree that it certainly happens more often with bottom-right to top-left, but on here, I've gotten it from top-left -> bottom-right. I dunno. If it screws up, not a huge deal, just annoying. I just reselect. But occasionally it causes things that are supposed to be 16x16 become 17x15 or something because I'm not close enough paying attention. D:

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 08:12:20 AM »

Game Maker's built-in sprite editor.  Who, Me?
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 04:06:01 PM »

brofist
I use it too. I don't know, but I can't leave it.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 08:42:27 AM »

I use the thing that comes when you get game maker 8. It will only make sheets but that works for me!  Shrug

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »

I use the thing that comes when you get game maker 8. It will only make sheets but that works for me!  Shrug
What do you mean it will only make sheets?

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

JJames19119
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 06:10:44 PM »

Oh man, I'm so old timey, I still use MSPaint for any spriting, including any animations I make...

To actually animate it, depends on what medium I'm using. Usually I just compile it with a GIF animator/MMF's import feature or whatever else I need to make it animate wherever I intend on using it.

To me, MSPaint is that baby bottle you had when you were an infant and you loved it so much. Except I'm an adult now and I'm still drinking from it. Tongue

You don't know me. No, really, you don't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic