Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 11:17:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRainbow Man and the search for a new colour.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rainbow Man and the search for a new colour.  (Read 5015 times)
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »

Rainbow Man
and the search for a new colour

The game looks a lot better in motion.

This is the demo for a new game I am making. It is a platformer inspired by Meatboy, N, IWBTG and games like that. The controls are explained in-game. The demo explores a few of the ideas that the mechanics allow. Parts are focused on precise jumps while others are more thinking. Hopefully you can give me feedback on what works or doesn't. There are a few glitches such as getting stuck on corners and the laser collisions being strange.

Old Version                      New Version
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:59:55 AM by Sean A. » Logged
laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »

It plays really smoothly and the different mechanics work well.  I found it very hard to make precise jumps onto those little blocks.  That may be just my lack of skill though.  And with the situations presented, the charging up dash power thing seemed slightly extraneous.  Maybe I didn't quite understand it.  But I think the bit that has you wall jumping down that narrow shaft with the multiple tiers of spikes required maybe a little too much dexterity.  It felt unfair at that point.  I understand though that it's the type of game that's supposed to be kind of frustrating.  Also in full screen it looks a bit fuzzy and ugly.  It would be nice if it stayed pixellated in full screen.  It's got a great feel to it though and the simple graphics are functional and easy enough on the eyes.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:14:45 PM »

It does feel like he moves too fast, a lot of times I'm relying more on luck than skill, especially at the wall jump part.  Also, I died at the first shield area and wasn't able to paint enough of the wall to get a shield going so I had to quit..

hi
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:23:35 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I'm still tweaking the movement speeds and some stuff so keep that in mind. Also I found the walljump part pretty easy but I played that part hundreds of times while testing so that could be it. Also I'm not sure what your talking about with the first shield part becuase there's a little orb that should max out your boost right before it. Also did any of you make it to the end or find the secret sections?
laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »

I sure didn't.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:58:36 AM »

That's alright cause I did some work on it today and tweaked the physics and made the game easier so hopefully you guys can finish it now. I'm about to update the first post.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 06:51:39 AM »

If you die after getting the orb, it doesn't respawn with you, so you get stuck there.

hi
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 07:41:27 AM »

nice game. minimalist black and white graphics with rainbow effects: great art style!
jump, wall jump, boost, break through stuff, shoot...a really promising game!

things that could be tweaked a bit in my opinion:
the moving speed. a tad too fast which makes precision jumping harder than it should.

keep it up! that's some good stuff you are working on  Smiley

edit:
how to get up here?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:52:54 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:17:54 AM »

Thanks a lot. To get up there you need to boost and then walljump twice off of the two things without spikes on one side. Also JR Hill I realized after that I forgot to fix that system but it should have been fixed in the new version. I might upload a video of me beating it just to show you guys.

Edit: Nevermind fraps doesn't record it properly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:31:25 AM by Sean A. » Logged
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »

Thanks a lot. To get up there you need to boost and then walljump twice off of the two things without spikes on one side. Also JR Hill I realized after that I forgot to fix that system but it should have been fixed in the new version. I might upload a video of me beating it just to show you guys.

Edit: Nevermind fraps doesn't record it properly.

allright... i have mastered it.  Smiley
as you said the game looks much better in motion...and therefore i will record a gameplay video soonish.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Eraser
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:54:21 AM »

Hm I couldn't angle my jump correctly in that part of the game (and therefore never made it past). It's already a fun game though.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 11:53:06 AM »

Thanks for the kind words. If you could record some gameplay that would be amazing because when I try to do it in fraps it records it at like like 0.5fps and it is a tiny box in the top left corner. It's kinda messed up. Also if anybody finds and beats the secret sections let me know.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 03:06:31 AM »

here we go  Smiley
(a little nitpick: unfortunately in the beginning you will see a scene twice... poor editing :D.... noticed that when i already uploaded it...oh well)
anyways the whole playthrough itself is unedited and maybe it will give you some hints where you could improve the game

http://www.pixelprospector.com/indev/2010/06/rainbow-man/

edit:
found and beat the secret section as well.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:23:04 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »

Thanks for making the video and the feature on pixel prospector. It means a lot. For some of the harder sections I will probably make them extra challenge rooms. Also I have a couple more things to say about the game. The layout of the levels in the final version will probably be somewhere around 7 or 8 levels each will be a bit bigger than the demo one. In addition there will be the challenge rooms aswell as secret parts in each level. Also you will unlock the powers as you progress. Another thing about the powers is that each will have a secondary function in addition to the immediate benefit. For example the boost power can shatter walls. The laser power will be able to hit switches through walls and the shield power will reflect projectiles. These open up the gameplay to many different styles such as a shooter that can have boss battles and stuff like that. Any if still working on ironing out bugs and fixing some stuff so stay tuned.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic